PDA

View Full Version : Products for daily drivers

Pages : [1] 2

lancerplayer
02-09-2015, 11:42 PM
I have taken on the responsibility of caring for two family members' cars in addition to my own. All cars are daily drivers and see all sorts of weather conditions and road conditions. They are not show cars whatsoever, but I would like to protect them and keep them looking as new as possible.

I'm looking for product recommendations that will simplify my detailing tasks and make my job easier.

What's a solid shampoo for daily drivers? Something that has cleaning power, yet is gentle enough to not strip wax off the paint sounds ideal to me.

What's a solid wax for daily drivers? Something that can be sprayed on and wiped off would be fantastic if the paint will be protected well enough. Otherwise, I feel I can spend the extra time using a non spray liquid wax (by hand, not machine) if a spray wax will not protect against the elements.

Are there any obvious choices here?

Thanks everyone!

builthatch
02-09-2015, 11:51 PM
you can go the traditional wash/spray wax route (spray waxes can definitely be adequate protection) but have you considered just using something like No Rinse Wash & Wax? the best of both worlds imo.

dcjredline
02-10-2015, 01:21 AM
I would suggest
Duragloss 901 car wash (902 is the gallon)
and
Meguiar's D156 Spray wax.

Both very solid products and should do exactly what you are looking for.

STSmal01
02-10-2015, 01:53 AM
+1 on the Duragloss 901. Cleans very well and rinses off very clean and almost spot free leaving A nice shine. And you could use a Quality spray wax as a drying aide or WOWO after drying.

jimbob
02-10-2015, 03:55 AM
Optimum car wax gets my vote. Comes in a spray form which is as easy as spraying on and wiping off. Takes 10 minutes to do the whole car. Finish is very slick and glossy, durability is also quite solid. Advertised as 5 months but prob more 2 to 3 in real world conditions depending where you are. Still, it's that quick and easy to apply you could use it more often

Vegas Transplant
02-10-2015, 07:36 AM
What's a solid shampoo for daily drivers? Something that has cleaning power, yet is gentle enough to not strip wax off the paint sounds ideal to me.

Thanks everyone!

OCWC fits the bill.

Optimum Car Wash is a concentrated auto shampoo that washes away grime on your car & protects wax. (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-car-wash.html)

PA DETAILER
02-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Want easy?

Meguiars Hyper-Wash is a concetrated car wash for frequent or professional detailing. Super foaming, long lasting car shampoo from Meguiars. (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-hyper-wash.html)
For the soap.

Prima Hydro MAX Super Spray Polymer (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-max.html)
For your LSP. Easy as spray and wipe.

Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry Spray, spray wax (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-spray-wax.html)
To maintain AFTER you use the hydro max.

You will love the ease of these products. But dont let them fool you. You will get the protection you are looking for.

Desertnate
02-10-2015, 09:00 AM
For a good inexpensive shampoo for daily drivers, I'd suggest Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo. It's a good product that works well and can be found almost everywhere and it's inexpensive. I use it on my family car fleet.

For an easy spray wax, I'd probably go with the earlier suggestions of Prima Hydro Max or the Optimum. They both seem to have a reputation for long durability, though I've not used either. I don't think the Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax/D156 would be durable enough for you. It's a great product and I use it as a topper after washes, but I'm not sure I'd trust my car to a Cleveland winter with just that on it.

Loser
02-10-2015, 09:10 AM
As others have already mentioned, I'd go with:

Optimum Car Wash is a concentrated auto shampoo that washes away grime on your car & protects wax. (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-car-wash.html)

Optimum Car Wax is a spray wax made with real carnauba and synthetic paint sealants for protection & shine! high-grade carnauba wax and silicone (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html)

Jaretr1
02-10-2015, 10:12 AM
I partically care for my dads car. I use Collinite 845 on his car because it lasts so long. He does automated car washes and it holds up to that extremely well, 6+ months or longer in the South Florida sun!

The rest of the car (trim lights etc) I coated in Dlux.

For protection though, there is nothing, NOTHING easier than Hydro2. I just did a friends car and it took 10 minutes to apply to the entire car. Spritz on a section at a time and hose off right away. No wiping, buffing, nothing. Naturally you can dry the car afterward but that is the extent of touching the car.

conman1395
02-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Duragloss 901 then Duragloss Aquawax wax. Get it locally at Carquest.

slicksierra
02-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Sonax PNS on errythang besides tires. Just for the self cleaning ability. Works nicely on trim already in good shape

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
02-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Without a doubt you really need to get the Turtle Wax tire coating, the non aerosol version. Applying this product to a clean tire will net you month's of maintenance free tire care.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

swanicyouth
02-10-2015, 08:49 PM
OCW is OK, but Prima Hydro Max is just all around better. You can use it on everything, like OCW, but... It beads better, lasts longer, and doesn't streak.

Soap? I have used a lot of soaps. You want one that doesn't mess with your beading (leave a film), is more concentrated than oz/gallon, and that doesn't cost like 30 bills for 16oz.

Ones I'd recommend:

Poor Boys SSS
Any 1Z soap
Sonax
Optimum
P21S

jimbob
02-11-2015, 12:10 AM
OCW is OK, but Prima Hydro Max is just all around better. You can use it on everything, like OCW, but... It beads better, lasts longer, and doesn't streak.

Soap? I have used a lot of soaps. You want one that doesn't mess with your beading (leave a film), is more concentrated than oz/gallon, and that doesn't cost like 30 bills for 16oz.

Ones I'd recommend:

Poor Boys SSS
Any 1Z soap
Sonax
Optimum
P21S

I thought ocw was the only spray wax available that can be used as a standalone? Bummer, just bought a gallon of the stuff. If it lasts longer and beads better than ocw, I'll really need to try Prima hydro max