PDA

View Full Version : Applying and removing collinite 915

Pages : [1] 2

godfearingman
02-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Hi I hope I'm not double posting but I've used collinite 915 to wax my black Corolla and think I'm applying way to much because it's soooo hard to remove. I've been using a applicator pad I had from a previous wax that I've washed. My question is how do I know when I need to apply more wax to the applicator pad so I don't apply way to much and make it soooo hard to take off.

TIA

Rsurfer
02-09-2015, 06:14 PM
If you can't see it, try touching your pad on your glass. If you see it you don't need anymore. Thin is in.

godfearingman
02-09-2015, 06:28 PM
If you can't see it, try touching your pad on your glass. If you see it you don't need anymore. Thin is in.

Well I have dark colored applicator pad and I don't see the wax on it but still winds up being so thick I can't hardly get it off the Meguiar's I used to use wasn't anywhere near that hard to come off.

Rsurfer
02-09-2015, 06:52 PM
Well I have dark colored applicator pad and I don't see the wax on it but still winds up being so thick I can't hardly get it off the Meguiar's I used to use wasn't anywhere near that hard to come off.

Are you using a damp applicator? It helps to apply a thin coat.

godfearingman
02-09-2015, 06:55 PM

No didn't realize till today after waxing my car that it said to use a damp applicator does it help that much to apply a thinner coat?

Eandras
02-09-2015, 07:05 PM
If you machined wash you would get nice thin layer. You would be better off doing multiple coats over a few days.

MikeC78
02-09-2015, 07:34 PM
You must be using to much. 915 is very easy to remove if done right. I've used it both by hand and machine, easy to remove both ways.

expdetailing
02-09-2015, 07:48 PM
I find that when you apply any wax (at least the dozen or so I've tried) in just the right amount, it can be easily wiped away. Do your very best to apply it evenly. Shoot for just applying enough to slightly haze/cloud the surface, and rub thoroughly untill you get the hang of how it should be spread. Attempt to spread it so evenly that you would make any cake decorator proud of how well you can EVENLY spread wax.

godfearingman
02-09-2015, 09:16 PM
You must be using to much. 915 is very easy to remove if done right. I've used it both by hand and machine, easy to remove both ways.

I already know I'm applying to much trying to figure out how to apply it thinly

MikeC78
02-09-2015, 11:50 PM
How long are you letting it sit before wiping? I find it tough applying a thick coat with a paste wax, unless you really tried.

godfearingman
02-10-2015, 08:42 AM
How long are you letting it sit before wiping? I find it tough applying a thick coat with a paste wax, unless you really tried.

Around an hour I don't apply it any thicker than I did the Meguiars I came from and it was WAY easier to remove an does just as good a job to me

G-Dub
02-10-2015, 09:25 AM

:iagree: I had this same problem the first time i used this wax, on my second attempt I soaked my applicator pad with water and squeezed out the excess water until it was damp, it worked really well. Also when applying with a damp applicator you don`t need to use much wax, if you find the applicator going dry just press down gently and it releases wax that`s in the pores of the applicator.

godfearingman
02-10-2015, 09:28 AM
:iagree: I had this same problem the first time i used this wax, on my second attempt I soaked my applicator pad with water and squeezed out the excess water until it was damp, it worked really well. Also when applying with a damp applicator you don`t need to use much wax, if you find the applicator going dry just press down gently and it releases wax that`s in the pores of the applicator.

Ok I'll try to use the applicator pad damp next time and see how much that helps if not I'm just going back to Meguiars Ultimate paste wax it A LOT cheaper and imo it works just as good and is WAY easier to take off.

Zubair
02-10-2015, 09:43 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/72940-breaking-collinite-myth-915-a.html

godfearingman
02-10-2015, 09:48 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/72940-breaking-collinite-myth-915-a.html

Will dampening the applicator pad make it easier to apply it thin? I apply the collinite the same way I did the Meguiars Ultimate paste wax and it came off really easily I could apply and take off the wax in less than an hour and half where as the collinite it take around 3 altogether.