PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Have Done Different

Shredmonster
02-09-2015, 12:04 PM
It is winter here. 10 - 20 degrees lately. Some days 30.
Got a new black Jeep Wrangler a couple weeks ago.

Roads obviously dirty, salty, disgusting so rinseless wash out of the question.

I took the vehicle to a self wash. The bays have 2 cars in them at a time so you have to get in and out.

Sprayed with soap and then used a micro mitt to wash. Washed tires with separate micro towel. Washed windows with different towel.

Took vehicle outside to a parking lot. Wiped water with silicone blade and then micro drying towel. Then took home for some 303 Protectant.

Did all plastics and rubber inside and outside.

There are certain things I cannot do yet. I cant seal paint as my garage is not heated.
I cant use 3030 Fabric Guard as my garage is too cold yet.

Products I have on the way that I have ordered from this site:

1 PIN-830 - 16 oz. Pinnacle GlassWork Water Spot Remover 19.99
1 DP-230 - 4 oz. DP Glass Coating 49.99
1 PIN-350 - 16 oz. Pinnacle GlassWork Windshield Washer 19.99
1 D-14001 - 128 oz. Meguiar's D140 Wheel Brightener 15.50
1 MB-1120 - 20 Inch brush Montana Original Boar’s Hair W 34.99
1 TUF-TSTB - TUF SHINE Tire Brush 4.99
1 DP-360 - 16 oz. DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant 19.99
3 WA-100 - Yellow Foam Wax Applicator 5.97
1 B-43 - Long Handle Tire/Wheel Brush Green 9.99
1 CP-178 - 150 g. CarPro Iron X Paste 9.99

Also had to find Meguiars Hot Rims Break Dust Barrier on Ebay as I could not find it here.

So here are my questions....

1) Do I really need a special detergent to wash my micro towels ?

2) Do I need a wool wash mitt ?

3) I can't wash by hand so is there anything else I could have done differently ?

4) Getting white water spots as I can't seem to figure out yet where all the little water pockets are when drying. So I drive and water is dripping from seams etc... Any way to avoid this ?

5) Would you recommend I get a leaf blower to assist in drying ?

FUNX650
02-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Unless you have, (and plan on using), the proper/highly recommended personal protection equipment (PPE)...
I really wish you had not ordered the Meguiar's D140.

Bob

FUNX650
02-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Disregard.

Shredmonster
02-09-2015, 12:57 PM
So many products and I am just starting. I went on the How To forum thread and the Wheel Brightener was one of the recommended items.

Not that big of a deal as it was only $15 I can always pick something else up in the future if I don't like it.

SameGuy
02-09-2015, 02:34 PM
I only use Wheel Brightener outdoors, and always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. But other than that, it works well for wheels that can take it.

As for Iron-X, I find the regular liquid easier to work with overall than the "paste" every time. The key is using a damp grout sponge to spread it before letting it dwell.

Nomadsto
02-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Greetings. Sorry to say being that this is black vehicle you may have already done some damage. I would just go ahead and lose that drying silicone blade. Real quick, this is my winter routine. I use a DIY wash bay or better yet my local touchless wash. I only get the basic wash the there, in other words I don't let them spray any of their wax on the car. Then I Drive home and park the car in the garage. Then I pull out my two small electric space heaters. I set them at one end of the garage about 5 feet apart facing each other. I let them run for about an hour and I can usually get the garage into the low sixties. This is more than adequate to do a rinsless wash. Then I use the Garry Dean wash method and his products ( you can find his videos on YouTube) and boom I've got a perfectly clean shiny and protected car.