PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell if CQaurtz is cured?

EWtheDETAILER
02-09-2015, 08:48 AM
I'm new to the CQuartz world, but have used several other coatings, such as Pinnacle Black Label and Opticoat. My question is how do you know when CQuartz has cured and ready for removal? I applied CQuartz this past weekend to my Toyota Corolla. Car was washed, clayed, prepped with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish, Wiped down with CarPro Eraser, and then a thin coat of CQuartz was applied. My shop temperature was 60 degrees F. Following the instructions on the bottle, I waited roughly 20minutes after applying the coating, to start the removal process. During the removal process I found several panels to feel tacky. Does the tacky feel mean I waited too long to remove or not long enough? My overall paint shine turned out great, but the process was not as smooth as I hoped. I know several of the Autogeeks are very familiar with the CQuartz line up, so any and all tips, tricks, and information is appreciated.

CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection, CQuartz nano coating, nano paint sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-kit.html)

Feed back please

slicksierra
02-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Not sure what you mean by "cure" if you meant to say flash, you should have only waited a minute or so to wipe away the residue after applying cquartz. Now I have been told by Carpro employees that in low temps and low sunlight levels it can take up to 30 days for CQuartz to fully harden or "cure". Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EWtheDETAILER
02-09-2015, 11:54 AM
If flash is the correct term than that's what I mean by cure.

Directions below(pulled from Autogeek.net) state I should wait 20minutes.

CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection, CQuartz nano coating, nano paint sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-kit.html)

The 30 ml. CQuartz is enough to coat a standard size car. Apply very thin and evenly.

Directions:
1.Shake well. Pour a few drops of CQuartz on a microfiber applicator pad.
2.Apply C.Quartz in straight lines, criss-crossing each car panel.
3.Wait 10-20 minutes on average. At 30° C. (86° F), wait 5-10 min. At 20° C (67° F), wait 15 min. At 15°C (59° F) wait 20 minutes. Then wipe off gently with soft microfiber towel with short looped fibers. Avoid re-using the wipe off microfiber towels because they will harden and crystallize.
4.Let dry for 1hour at 25° C (77° F) or 3 hours at 15° C (59° F). The coating will dry completely within 48 hours.
5.You have the option of accelerating the cure time by using IR lights.
6.Working temperature: 15- 30° C (59-86°F).
7.During the first 10 minutes, apply CQuartz to any spots that were missed. After 10 minutes, do not try to re-fill missing spots; it will stain the paint.
8.Apply 2 layers for more durability! Wait 1-3 hours for first layer to dry before applying second layer.

EWtheDETAILER
02-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Bump

J Cole
02-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Bump

I usually check the manufacturer's website for instructions.

From Cquartz product page: (http://www.carpro-us.com/exterior-surface-protection/cquartz-50ml-kit/)

NOTE: UPDATED VERSION - Timing for wipeoff is much less now. (usually between 2-5 minutes)
Wait until some slight resistance to wipe and then immediately remove.

Unfortunately they don't date or give the version number for this update so you can't totally be sure.

Chris@AutoCleanse
02-09-2015, 09:05 PM
As stated above it depends on what version you got, can you take a picture of the bottle as this will help.

Detail-Impressions
02-10-2015, 12:34 AM
My experience for me, the colder the temps the harder to work the product.
As it flashes off the coating becomes sticky in colder weather. It flashes much slower over all. Best to have patience when working in the colder temp range of the product. Suggestion You may want to add some heat lights to help with the curing.

Avi@CarPro
02-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi

you did well, slightly tacky is the best time to wipe off, without measuring time or temp. the higher the temp the faster it will react
thats why best would be to test on small area and see your timing.
it should feel slight resistance to your hand wiping. if its very sticky it means you passed the time, if its still oily -wait little more.
if you managed to wipe off after 20 min even if it was hard but still no hazing or other streaks its perfect too.
always test with good light source your paint after wiping.
HTH

EWtheDETAILER
02-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I feel much more confident in my application.