PDA

View Full Version : is this rumor true or not?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Stegs
02-09-2015, 08:31 AM
i read a article today on some tips/tricks for car detailing

wondering if you guys can prove this right or wrong

the article says that you should use vaseline on your dash, instead of a armor all product

What is your guys thoughts

Fluster Buster: Unbelievable Car Detailing Tricks to Make the Job Easier (http://www.flusterbuster.com/2013/05/car-detailing-tips-and-tricks.html)

Setec Astronomy
02-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Well, I wouldn't do that.

Flash Gordon
02-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Didn't even need to click on link to tell you they are offering up bad advice

Applying dressing to the upper part of dash (much less vaseline) increases sun glare dramatically. Not to mention how dusty it would become and how difficult to remove

Desertnate
02-09-2015, 09:07 AM
I can't imagine the Vaseline absorbing very well and it would attract a lot of dust since it wouldn't ever really dry.

The other problem I see is Vaseline doesn't have any UV protection in it. Most reputable interior dressings these days have some sort of product in it which will help protect the interior trim from the sun.

AZ Mike
02-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Reading that article will make you cringe. Hard to imagine people doing those things to their automobile.

brettS4
02-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Check out the tips submitted by readers for even worse ideas...

"To clean the outside of the car, add one cup kerosene to 1 gallon of water, it will help repel rain water ~ Desmond Marshall"

SYMAWD
02-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Didn't even need to click on link to tell you they are offering up bad advice

Applying dressing to the upper part of dash (much less vaseline) increases sun glare dramatically. Not to mention how dusty it would become and how difficult to remove

Not all dressings cause sun glare. Chemical Guys Silk Shine does not. However, I agree vaseline would and it just sounds like a bad idea for all of the reasons you listed.

Desertnate
02-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Check out the tips submitted by readers for even worse ideas...

"To clean the outside of the car, add one cup kerosene to 1 gallon of water, it will help repel rain water ~ Desmond Marshall"

The Scrubbing Bubbles one really got me. I can't imagine what that would do...a tub/tile cleaner on vinyl? Ouch.

flatstick
02-09-2015, 09:56 AM
soon as I saw the dash advice I know this is not good advice.I did not even open the article. stay away from this advice....wheeeeeeeeeeew !

parttimer
02-09-2015, 10:00 AM
I prefer vicks medicated for winter dashboard dressings. But on the reals, i only use non-shiny, no glare dressings, if I dress a dash at all.

swanicyouth
02-09-2015, 10:06 AM
I like KY on my door seals.

Guyb
02-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Guess they multi task. Take care of diaper rash and dash at the same time. Not the best care detailing tips for others to follow.

custmsprty
02-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Not all dressings cause sun glare. Chemical Guys Silk Shine does not. However, I agree vaseline would and it just sounds like a bad idea for all of the reasons you listed.

Yeah CG Silk is awesome and my go to protectant, and living in sunny Florida I can say 100% it does not add any glare to the the dash.

Angus
02-09-2015, 10:44 AM
Yikes. With bad advice like that I'm surprised no-one suggested my biggest pet peeve: using bug spray to "clean" the haze off headlights.

FUNX650
02-09-2015, 10:52 AM
The furtherance of using Vaseline for vinyl(plastic)-treatments...from years ago...may be still propagated from sources like the below information found in Leatherique "tips" booklets.

"Unlike leather, which is a natural organic product, vinyl and other imitations are of chemical composition which often contain petroleum by-products. Impregnated with plasticizers, they generally remain supple for quite a long time. After long periods of time, older vinyls and plastics can be softened with the application of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. This method works well on vinyl dashes. Just massage the Petroleum Jelly onto the vinyl, allow it to steam in car parked in a sunny spot with the windows up, then buff with a soft cloth."

Bob