PDA

View Full Version : Chemical guys Wash and Wax

Charleston
02-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Ordered some of the CG Wash and Wax and used it to spec in my bucket

It stripped the 2 month old BFWD right off and left horizone panels with 0 beading.

I feel like it is just CG Citrus Wash and Gloss with another label. Maybe I am wrong, but I am a bit disappointed. Suds weren't so great either. I was excited to try a boutique wash soap as I have ONLY used Meg's Gold class.

RobertJ34
02-08-2015, 10:33 PM
When I first got into detailing for fun I purchased the CG soaps because of "more foam". I eventually got a foam cannon and loved the soap. Stop using the soap for quite some time after getting other soaps because 1) having just 1-2 is def not enough because we get addicted. 2) I wanted "better" soaps. So a couple weeks ago...I use CG on dads car (was beading like crazy prior to wash). The soap completely killed the beading. I have a decent amount left but I know I won't be using it again unless its for a first time wash prior to clay/polish.

conman1395
02-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Ordered some of the CG Wash and Wax and used it to spec in my bucket

It stripped the 2 month old BFWD right off and left horizone panels with 0 beading.

I feel like it is just CG Citrus Wash and Gloss with another label. Maybe I am wrong, but I am a bit disappointed. Suds weren't so great either. I was excited to try a boutique wash soap as I have ONLY used Meg's Gold class.
I'd wait and see if the beading comes back. I think the shampoo is on your sealant. Not even CG Citrus Wash can take away 2 month old BFWD. It simply leaves behind a film of something that kills the beading.

Ebg18t
02-09-2015, 06:33 AM
Could it have left a film that is interfering and causing different properties? Is it sheeting now instead of beading? Or neither?

sixsix
02-09-2015, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't call chemical guys a boutique brand by any means. Everything I've ever tried from them I've been less than impressed with. I made the mistake and bought a gallon size of maxi suds soap and I'll never buy a gallon of anything again without trying it first.

Nick McKees37
02-09-2015, 11:17 AM
More than likely it left a film on the paint that's hindering the beading/sheeting of the underlying sealant. Try washing it again using a different shampoo and see if that helps.

FUNX650
02-09-2015, 11:35 AM
I doubt that CG W&W stripped the BFWD from the vehicle;
but, for kicks, let's say it did.

That would mean, to me, that this particular W&W product
will not/did not create enough surface tension to cause water to "bead-up". (It's supposed to contain some Wax.)

IMO:
Time to re-implement Plan A...the Gold standard. :)

Bob

conman1395
02-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Gold Class Shampoo is great. My two favorite are Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo and Duragloss 901/902. I've liked then both better than whatever the hell "boutique" shampoo is. I've tried CG stuff, Dodo, and others. If I wanna strip, the only way that I've found works is clay or an ultra fine polish (e.g. SF4500). I also dislike Chemical Guys stuff ib general. All of their stuff I've used so far is inferior to Meguiar's, Duragloss, and Mother's.

omarabdullah022
02-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Give an IPA wipedown so that you remove the surfacant of the soap allowing the beading characteristics of the LSP to show through again.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-09-2015, 12:12 PM
OP, do you mean Citrus Wash & Gloss?

Matt@Revive
02-09-2015, 12:18 PM
i stopped using CG citrus wash and gloss after my second time using it. switched to Optimum car wash and love it.

Loach
02-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Yeah it sounds like BFWD doesn't play nice with the soap you're using. Surface tension is a tricky thing to figure out. My personal tests with waxes and sealants yielded results with some whose surface tension is greatly affected in the immediate short term after the cure period by just rinsing with water for a few minutes. Others are much more durable through water rinsing and soap application. And some show durable surface tension through degreaser or IPA wipedowns. So even though your surface tension has changed, it doesn't necessarily mean the LSP was stripped, just altered in a way that reduced it's overall ability to repel water. For me, many times when the surface tension has been altered, it won't ever reach that level of repellency again until reapplication.