PDA

View Full Version : Low dusting performance brake pads.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Thejoyofdriving
08-23-2007, 10:12 PM
I have been shopping around for some high performance street & light track use brake pads that have a high initial bite, so that i can get a shorter stopping distance. I also need them to be able to stand up to a good amount of heat generated by braking on those mountian twisties going from 50-20 with in 1-2 seconds, and some down hill braking too. The only problem is that most of these higher performance pads give off a lot of brake dust, which is bad for the paint on the car and the wheels.......not to mention the environment. I was wondering if someone could point me to some pads that meet this criteria?:grouphug:

dontsleeponit
08-23-2007, 10:42 PM
thats probably gonna be hard to find man. If they do exist the guys on bimmerforums could definately point you to them... BMWs in general always seem to have lots of brake dust.

Its possible you may need different kind of rotors as well to stop the brake dust problem, but i really dont know.

Thejoyofdriving
08-23-2007, 11:07 PM
t BMWs in general always seem to have lots of brake dust.

Tell me about it!!! The OEM pads dust like crazy. My wheels are always so hard to clean, they get coated in brake dust just after a few hours of city driving.:mad: I have been looking at getting some pads from either HAWK or STOP TECH

Kelso
08-23-2007, 11:15 PM
i have hawk pads on my bmw and they are pretty good. honestly id say just get the best pads suited for your driving style and dont worry about dusting. keep the wheels washed, the paint waxed, and keep a coat of DP wheel glaze on those wheels to stop the dust build up.

bmw's dust more because they have such good braking power....for stock, bmw's are very good

Thejoyofdriving
08-23-2007, 11:25 PM
These are the pads i am considering so far

Axxis Deluxe Plus

http://www.stoptech.com/products/img/axxis_deluxeplus.jpg The Deluxe Plus compound is an outstanding choice for those looking to improve performance over OE pads, but who insist on very low levels of dust and virtually no noise. The pad has a very linear torque output throughout its operating range, is very easy on rotors, and exhibits great pad life. Very low dust, low noise, low rotor wear. Street Only. Not for track use. » BUY NOW (http://www.stoptech.com/ordering/local_dealer.shtml)

Pagid RS 4-2-1 (Black)

http://www.stoptech.com/products/img/pagid%20rs4-2-1.jpg Pagid RS 4-2-1 (Black) is a high-performance street compound with good fade characteristics and high cold friction. The most comfortable medium-friction sport compound, rotor friendly, and OE on various Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, Bugatti, Audi, and Corvette (Callaway) models. Suitable for street and light track use.

OR THESE ONES FROM HAWK Hawk Performance: HPS - High Performance Street Brake Pads (http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php#)

Tough choice...... Kelso you are running the HAWK HPS's aren you? Have you noticed a diffrence from the OEM pads?

Kelso
08-23-2007, 11:43 PM
yea i think i have hps....or maybe i have the next level up from those, not sure right now..
dusting isnt that bad, i have had any noise at all... when i installed them i also put on drilled rotors and i think it stops a bit quicker now.. i really dont brake much to be honest, only when im really beating on the car...under normal driving i do a lot of heel toe downshifting so i let the car slow itself for the most part, and doing this on a regular basis has really improved my spirited driving because everyone who rides with me comments on my flawless shifting when im in the twisties

Thejoyofdriving
08-24-2007, 12:15 AM
There are other companys out there but i dont know if i should complicate things more.

A1monky
08-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Simply, if you want high performance brake pads, you wil get alot of brake dust. And they will squek like mad under soft braking. Its the price you pay to brake late into corners.

Truls
08-24-2007, 06:16 AM
The Ferodo pads is the choice of almost all of the WRC cars (if not all) Supreme pads both cold and warm, but i dont know how much they dust.

Ferodo UK (http://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo_home/motorsports.html#DS2000)

ScottB
08-24-2007, 06:47 AM
ceramic pads are best for no dust, carbons best for bite and tracking racing. Unfortunately they are at very different ends of the spectrum.

LazerRed1
08-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Apples and oranges, performance vs dust. I had Axxis Deluxe on my BMW and they were very dustless, but not a track pad. I have Hawk HPS on the G35 and they compare very similiar to the Axxis Deluxe. Once again not a performance pad, but very dustless. I would not have a problem going back to the Axxis from the Hawks.

Read up on the ceramic on the Hawk website. May not be for you.

blk45
08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
As everyone here has said, they don't go together. Hi-performance pads equals lots of dust. The Axxis pads are great for low dust, but not hi-performance.

Thejoyofdriving
08-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Well I really just want something that will give me a shorter stopping distance over OEM pads. I guess i will throw dust out of the equation. But i still want pads that are not going to eat my rotors fast. I dont think that I am going to get my pads past 1000F. So carbon is better in terms of stoping distance over ceramics?

Truls
08-24-2007, 05:16 PM
The Ferodo pads is "kind" to the rotors, and brakes good at 600c (dont know how much f that is)

Dont know if they are sold in the US, but i just read that many had switched to anoter brand in the WRC, and they have now switched back to Ferodo, they got street/race pads, and just race pads (not approved for street use) and dont need to be braked in for many miles as some other brands needs.

If you look into feks STCC, WRC and so on, i guess you will se alot of Ferodo pads, and they seldom use second best stuff...

Thejoyofdriving
08-24-2007, 05:35 PM
The Ferodo pads is "kind" to the rotors, and brakes good at 600c (dont know how much f that is)

Dont know if they are sold in the US, but i just read that many had switched to anoter brand in the WRC, and they have now switched back to Ferodo, they got street/race pads, and just race pads (not approved for street use) and dont need to be braked in for many miles as some other brands needs.

If you look into feks STCC, WRC and so on, i guess you will se alot of Ferodo pads, and they seldom use second best stuff...

It looks like Hawks or Axxis pads will be easier to get in the states.