PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher

JustLikeJames
02-08-2015, 09:56 PM
I have a question I guess hasn't been asked yet (I searched) on this forum. I guess I'm the one fool who doesn't know, lol.

Is the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher a "Dual Action" polisher?

The other popular PC and Meg's polishers are referred to as "Dual Action" and thus, are supposed to be very safe for beginners. I'm interested in the GG6, which seems to have become even more popular than those in recent years (although the PC is still very well respected). I want one that I can start out with but won't regret after getting more comfortable with machine polishing.

Thanks.

DaveT435
02-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Yes it is dual action

Rsurfer
02-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Its a RO.

JustLikeJames
02-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Well, two answers that either contradict each other. Or could be just a difference in terminology meaning the same thing. But if it is DA, why wouldn't they just call it that like their competition does? Leads me to believe it is actually a whole other animal than the pc and meg's.

Setec Astronomy
02-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Well, two answers that either contradict each other. Or could be just a difference in terminology meaning the same thing. But if it is DA, why wouldn't they just call it that like their competition does? Leads me to believe it is actually a whole other animal than the pc and meg's.

It's not another animal, but don't take my word for it, take the word of Mike Phillips:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/38399-da-polisher-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-rotating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html

conman1395
02-08-2015, 10:51 PM
It is not like the Flex 3401. It's like the Porter Cable. There is no forced rotation.

JustLikeJames
02-08-2015, 11:05 PM
It's not another animal, but don't take my word for it, take the word of Mike Phillips:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/38399-da-polisher-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-rotating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html

If Mike refers to it as a DA, I'm convinced. He did mention though, that stopping the pad with too much pressure wasn't likely because it has much more power than the pc. He also said that stopping under load is part of what makes a DA safe. So that worries me a little. It's clear that either of the 3 will do the job. It sure seems like most people like the gg6 best though. Plus lifetime warranty is nice.

wdmaccord
02-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Yes, go with the GG6. Probably the most powerful of the 3 and the lifetime warranty (I've had to use it and it's pretty much no questions asked). It will stop with too much downward pressure. You'll need to mark your backing plates to make sure it's always spinning.

JustLikeJames
02-08-2015, 11:29 PM
Yes, go with the GG6. Probably the most powerful of the 3 and the lifetime warranty (I've had to use it and it's pretty much no questions asked). It will stop with too much downward pressure. You'll need to mark your backing plates to make sure it's always spinning.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to start looking out for deals on a GG6. I'll probably only use it 2-4 time a year. So hopefully I won't need the warranty but it's nice to know they'll make good on it.

Thanks!

KingArnold
07-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Solid Buffer to use. Hopefully you used it and liked it. Been a while since this last post

dcjredline
07-16-2016, 08:13 PM
Great DA but it CAN be stopped very easily. I have never used either of the other 2 so I cant imagine how frustrating those would be.

Dereksdtail
07-16-2016, 08:58 PM
GG6 is a comfortable and powerful da, I've done it all with this little beast