PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone afraid of rotary polishers? And what's this about not finishing properly?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

TheDetailGeeks
02-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Just got a Hitachi at a steal of a deal... $40!

Let me start by saying that I had never used a rotary before yesterday. My only experience with polishers has been with a PC 7424XP.

With the Hitachi, I applied Meguiars Ultimate Compound with an Orange CCS pad at 2,000 RPM, and it has been working out brilliantly. No swirls or holograms.

I hear all this hullaballoo about rotary being dangerous/not a good finishing tool/ leaves holograms and swirls/ takes years to learn, but I'm a n00b and am not experiencing any of these things.

Did I just get lucky, or am I missing something here?

SonOfOC
02-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Cause rotary "can" burn the paint "easier" than a DA. Rotary "can" be more difficult to control. Rotary "can" leave holograms.

In my opinion, after using almost every product under the sun, a rotary works better on polishes and compounds. Every polish will work with a rotary, but not every polish will work with a DA....my opinion of course.

For me, brands like Sonax, Menzerna, Scholl, all work better via rotary. Sure they work great via DA, but it's the shiiiiz with rotary.

I use my Flex PE-14 just as much as my DA, unlike many who have not touched a rotary after buying a DA.

Lastly, not doubting your results, but 2000 rpm with UC is very ideal hologram conditions; especially on black. UC has lots of oils, you might see the holograms in bright sun after the next wash.

davey g-force
02-08-2015, 08:31 PM
OP - maybe you're just gifted? ;)

hudson2302
02-08-2015, 08:33 PM
How did you inspect your paint after the polishing. Was it in the sun or led light?
The reason i am afraid of the rotary is because if i stay in one spot for too long its very unforgiving

Wendell Jarvis
02-08-2015, 08:38 PM
I still use my Makita....yes if you have the skills ..I know I can finish down hologram free...personally I think a rotary makes paint look glossy and leveled reflection than DA...I own 5 various machines and at times will finish down with either the Rupes or Flex

custmsprty
02-08-2015, 08:41 PM
:postpics:

davey g-force
02-08-2015, 08:41 PM
How did you inspect your paint after the polishing. Was it in the sun or led light?

Yeah, I was going to say that too. And what color were you working on?

TheDetailGeeks
02-08-2015, 08:43 PM

I doubt it. I'm the clumsiest person in the world. :buffing:

TheDetailGeeks
02-08-2015, 08:44 PM
The reason i am afraid of the rotary is because if i stay in one spot for too long its very unforgiving

Sunlight.

TheDetailGeeks
02-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I was going to say that too. And what color were you working on?

BMW Titanium Silver Metallic.

TheDetailGeeks
02-08-2015, 08:47 PM
UC has lots of oils, you might see the holograms in bright sun after the next wash.

I'll go wipe it with IPA and see if anything changes.

AutowerxDetailing
02-08-2015, 09:46 PM
That pad, product, speed combination is virtually guaranteed to leave holograms. It's likely they are just difficult to see on that color.

VISITOR
02-08-2015, 09:50 PM
with technology and the ever evolving different pads, polishes, and compounds for the DA, you can accomplish quite a bit without the risk factor and skip a step. one person who I can think of who use to use a rotary strictly was paul dalton and he has been using the rupes bigfoot system with tremendous success for a number of years and doesn't even reach for the rotary as much or if at all anymore. he even mentioned/shown that the the rupes DA can achieve a high level of gloss (as much as a rotary) and has a gloss meter to prove it (I believe kevin brown has mentioned this as well). iirc, he also mentioned that it has made it less stressful as well. of course he has a lot of skill and knowledge so that makes a big difference as well...

Rsurfer
02-08-2015, 09:52 PM

LOL!

BMW Titanium Silver Metallic.

Try using it on black paint. I sometimes get lucky on black paint, but almost always have to finish down with a DA. Light colors (white/silver) is a piece of cake.

TheDetailGeeks
02-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Just wiped a section with IPA and inspected with an LED light. No swirls that I can see, but I'll wash it tomorrow and report back with what it looks like in direct sunlight, sans residual polishing oils.