PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Business Vs Owning/Renting a Garage.

FTD
02-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Hi guys I am here once again seeking some intellect. I have been planning my business for months now, and my earlier plans of starting up this spring have....fallen through unfortunately.

I am proficient in the art of Mobile detailing, but I have always wanted a shop. My question to anyone and everyone is what is more cost effective?

A shop in my area runs about $1000 for about 1200 sqft. Insurance is about $120/month.

I am torn between which once to do. It seems mobile is more convenient for myself and the customer.

The ease of a shop allows me to do the more intricate work such as Paint correction, and vinyl application/removal. As well being able to do work in the winter time without dying of the nasty new England weather.

But....I feel as a mobile unit I will be able to save a few hundred a month on bills, and have a larger clientele being that people don't have to drop the car off and get a ride back and forth.

I had the idea of starting off as a shop, then once I build enough clientele, and revenue, I can create a mobile unit to do maintenance cleans on my paint correction/wash-wax clients so their cars stay corrected for a long period of time.

What do you guys think as professionals? cost and convenience are usually enemies, If I have to spend a little more to have the convenience of a shop, is it worth the sacrifice?

...or if I go mobile and save a few hundred, but loose the big $$ jobs and just do simple in-and-outs...

let me knowIm the MAN

Beavis
02-08-2015, 03:10 PM
I am mobile and have been since 2005. I have thought before of a shop, but then I would have to do that many cars to jusy to make sure I get my rent and then do profit. Alot of my customers like me coming to there jobs and having a clean car when they get off of work and not have to take it some where. Your overhead is so much cheaper with Mobile. My insurance only runs me $42 a month. We do about 25 to 35 cars a week right now. Yes it would be nice to have an enclosed place to do the big paint correction jobs, but I just use my canopy. Is the $1000 a month with all utilities?

FTD
02-08-2015, 03:19 PM
no just $1000 is space alone, utilities are around $100-$150, water bill is around $70-$100, insurance is much higher. The overall cost of just having the space would be around $1500 give or take a few $.

I was mobile with a north star hot water 200 gal. system and since I sold all that I am thinking of getting a more up-to-date efficient method.

I have a brand new truck with tow package, and I am going to get a small enclosed trailer. I have all the tools and chemicals stored in my basement, just need to get my licensing taken care of. My truck costs me $400/month +$150 insur....all I need is the essentials for running legit.

but then again...I specialize in extreme restoration in and out. I can buy a nice size car port that is mobile and just set it up and go to work.

Beavis
02-08-2015, 04:59 PM
I used a 5x10 trailer until this year. Just got a Cargo Van. The trailer worked great except when you get the parking lots that are small and tight fit areas. Shop would be nice if you could get the income for the rent and utilities. Shop would be good for the extreme restoration like you do

FTD
02-08-2015, 05:14 PM
I can still do paint corrections under a large car port. I would just have to make a set up that goes to my enclosed that turns it into a mobile garage.

I will probably start mobile until I have revenue to get a small garage to do major work.

Beavis
02-08-2015, 06:06 PM
A friend gave me an idea for my van, but depending on the size of trailer you get. Maybe one of those roll out awnings. Would have to be bigger than a 5x10 trailer

kcochran0010
02-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Mobile detailing. So you always do waterless washes ? Just take a lot of microfibers with you? And a generator? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

FTD
02-09-2015, 07:55 AM
A friend gave me an idea for my van, but depending on the size of trailer you get. Maybe one of those roll out awnings. Would have to be bigger than a 5x10 trailer

Mobile detailing. So you always do waterless washes ? Just take a lot of microfibers with you? And a generator? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Well I am buying a 5x12 enclosed trailer off my friend that is practically brand new. I am buying a LANDA hot water pressure washer system running off a 100.gal tank. A Honda Generator because its really really quiet, and a small air compressor for obvious reasons.

-As far as the canape idea, I can make some sort of awning type deal without breaking the bank where you can just pull the car in and keep it out of the sun once your done washing it. Maybe a 12' long 10' wide set up that goes along the length of the trailer. For smaller areas I would bring a mobile car port that is easy to set up.

Inside the trailer the tank will be front mounted and everything will be removable but the generator and tank. The LANDA is on wheels so I can pull it out. My extractor is a Mytee and is on wheels so that's mobile as well.

Waterless wash is really something I have not dabbled in, and nor do I feel like going through 20-30 rags a car. I have watched the Chem guys system and it seems cool, but on a heavily soiled car, its pretty useless. I can do 20+ cars with 100 gallons of water...and not have to worry about not getting all the dirt. The LANDA has adjustable pressure and I don't always have to use the heater, that's more for winter time washes for salt removal, which is why I keep a Karcher electric power washer around because its cold water and uses no gas, except when I run it off the Honda, which under full load lasts 11 hours.

I sat down with my future employee and broke down the actual cost without employment costs which is about $2200/month for just him.

Shop:
-Rent $1000 avg
-Electricity: $100-150/month
-Nat Gas heat: $2000/year
-Insurance: $134/month
-Water Bill: $100/month
Total for the year worst case: $18,608.00 /year

Mobile:
-My truck payment is $398.00/month
-Insurance with trailer is $150/month
-Bussin Insurance is $67/motnh
-Fuel is $400/month
-Water is FREE :props:

Total Cost/year is $12,180

So its an obvious choice, but the hardest part is building a name, and getting business around my area. I like a challenge.