PDA

View Full Version : Buffing + sinus issues?

Durallymax
02-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Anybody else have sinus issues, or irritated nose after buffing for awhile. I've noticed it enough that I don't think it's just a coincidence. It's more of a constant allergy sneezing type feeling than it is sinuses.

I was using a rotary with tufbuf wool and FG400 when I noticed it.

Don't know if it's the fine fibers in the black wool. Maybe something with the oxidized paint particles. Never really blown a full col9r out my nose but the ground and my clothes always have enough of it. Or maybe something with the FG400. It does have a very strong solvent smell and my nose will sometimes start running if I'm working with a parts washer for too long. Thinking that may be the culprit.

Just curious if anyone else has had issues..

custmsprty
02-07-2015, 08:09 PM
No, but if you do, buy a 3M paint mask or respirator.

MI Mike
02-07-2015, 09:09 PM
No, but if you do, buy a 3M paint mask or respirator.

I agree. You may also want to look into a shop coat or lab coat (become a Dr. of Detailing) to keep clothes clean.

The Guz
02-07-2015, 09:50 PM
I actually had an allergy spell the last time I used DP Glass Coating. It was the solvent scent coming off the applicator that triggered it while I was applying it to the glass. I used a mask to avoid that again this last time I used it.

FUNX650
02-08-2015, 01:01 AM
The chemicals used as solvents and in the carrier system of FG 400's (and most other compounds/polished) notwithstanding:

•FG 400's contains abrasives that are cystalline (alumina) silica [Al2O3].
-known to be a cause of silicosis of the lungs
-known carcinogen

•Then you have the top-coat paint-film (usually CC) residues from buffing, to also contend with on a health-basis.

•Wearing the proper PPE while detailing can be troublesome/cumbersome...
But it can also be a life-safer/life-extender!

Bob

parttimer
02-08-2015, 12:25 PM
I wear a paper type mask and ear plugs now.

rbss
02-08-2015, 02:20 PM
I will probably use a paper mask my next correction. My last 2 stage while using Menzerna I noticed my allergies were much worse.

flatstick
02-08-2015, 02:25 PM
never had the issue but as others have said try wearing some type of mask or respirator. some people are just more sensitive to the dust than others. no sense dealing with sinus issues if you can avoid it .

Ecrissman
02-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Not so much a sinus issue, but my eyes are usually blood shot red, from air bourne dusting from whatever product I'm using.

Angus
02-09-2015, 01:53 PM
You guys ever try using a neti pot? I used to have the worst seasonal allergies until I started using one 6 years ago. Now I don't have any issues. Once you get over the gross factor it's a great and safe alternative to med's:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b637/Double0Angus/neti-pot_zpscfe7359f.jpg (http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Double0Angus/media/neti-pot_zpscfe7359f.jpg.html)

Durallymax
02-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Never tried one of those. Seems weird but reminds me of the ear wax candles I used to use, sounded weird but worked good. I had allergies as a kid but they pretty much went away. My nose/eyes are still very sensitive to airborne stuff but not in a true allergy fashion I guess. If I can see it I know it'll bug me. Just the leftover smoke from welding and especially the stuff from grinding with zirconium oxide really bugs me.

One thing I enjoyed about buffing paint was that I did not have to wear a respirator for once. I dowear one for everything else though, both because I feel better and because the stuff you inhale in other situations is nasty. I have to admit I've never seen someone wear a mask just to polish paint, polishing metal though even the most crude guys still have something, that stuff is nasty. That's what I'm onto now, paint is done time for aluminum polishing. If I had to spend more time doing this stuff than I do now I think I'd have to invest in a forced air respirator. I hate sweating it out especially when leaning over because it pools in your lens. Obviously for paint I would just use my half mask. I do have a nice FHX400 for my full mask and while it's the nicest I've ever used, it's still hot and sucks.

Most of the stuff I buff is actually some form of single stage. In this case it's likely dupont Imron since it's a Kenworth. Now Imron is nasty stuff when you spray it but what the particulates are like when coming off as oxidized paint I have no idea.

Aluminum oxide inhalation is the primary reason for wearing a respirator wben doing aluminum but the amount has to be astronomical compared to what you could I have from FG400. I would be curious just how much can really be inhaled since there likely isn't a ton in the product to begin with, and it's not flying off at your nostrils. At least for the most part I like keeping the buffer well below my head whenever possible. Versus metal polishing where it's throwing it back at you with little escape. Everything can be bad for you but it's the quantity and other circumstances that matter the most.

Not sure where you found Aluminum Oxide listed as a carcinogen but none of the major agencies list it as one (maybe CA does but everything is to them). I think if you avoided every carcinogen you would die alone in a bubble. Plus I already had cancer so I'm immune right? Lol. It does pose a health risk though mostly for damage to lungs. I already have enough of that from chemo and radiation. Lung cancer is my biggest risk of secondary cancer down the road as a side effect of treatments so keeping bad stuff outta my lungs is a bit more important to me now.

I hate them but will probably end up wearing a respirator for at least the heavy compounding.
I could care less about wearing a lab coat, I am hot enough as it is. Washing machines work great lol. I have worn tyvek suits when doing a lot of metal work though but they're too damn hot.
I do like the idea of putting "doctor" on the lab coat though lol.

I always wear noise canceling ear buds for music. Buffing point isn't terribly loud when compared to metal and such but it's loud enough plus I like music.

I did try Afrin type nose spray and it didn't help. Today I tried Flonase and it has helped a lot.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/09/b1413f4ac3ad1013ce97fbdf6801b5ed.jpg

Ecrissman
02-10-2015, 04:47 AM
Flonase is good stuff.

HUMP DIESEL
02-10-2015, 07:45 AM
I use the Neilmed nasal rinse squeeze bottle. I have to, I have always had sinus issues. I do feel that in heavy compounding that I need to be wearing a respirator.

And if you applying coatings, get one.

HUMP

richy
02-10-2015, 12:33 PM
I use the Neilmed nasal rinse squeeze bottle. I have to, I have always had sinus issues. I do feel that in heavy compounding that I need to be wearing a respirator.

And if you applying coatings, get one.

HUMP

I use their squeeze bottle too when needed. For compounding I'm OK, not to mention I'm usually smoking a cigar for part of it at least.