PDA

View Full Version : this carpet has me cornered

Pages : [1] 2

beenen
02-07-2015, 02:11 PM
been trying to test my new equipment lately on some test vehicles and today was my carpet treatment test. Well it defiantly in my opinion did not work so I'm a little stumped.

here is the process I went through. The truck is a 1996 F150 with stains I don't know how long they have been sitting there.

- Vacuum

- Spray with OPC 3:1 and agitate it in with brush, let sit for a couple of mins

- Take the McColloch 1385 steamer with triangle attachment and no towel. Steam the carpets to loosen up dirt. Take a microfiber rag and whipe around after steam.

- Aztec hot rod hot water extractor on the carpets. Made multiple passes with the extractor with no difference.

- re-sprayed spots with FOLEX, agitate with brush, let sit, took the Aztec out again and with little results

- re-sprayed spots with full strength OPC, agitate, let sit, took the Aztec out with final results (see pic)

Before:

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r322/Ourk/008AA79F-0901-4862-80B9-E0F60A2364A9_zpse2ocf8nf.jpg (http://s352.photobucket.com/user/Ourk/media/008AA79F-0901-4862-80B9-E0F60A2364A9_zpse2ocf8nf.jpg.html)

After:

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r322/Ourk/3D618B66-9C9F-441D-BDEC-6ED27FC735A2_zpssnry21rs.jpg (http://s352.photobucket.com/user/Ourk/media/3D618B66-9C9F-441D-BDEC-6ED27FC735A2_zpssnry21rs.jpg.html)

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r322/Ourk/8D5E1925-09E4-4E6F-996F-712355CAF4CB_zps0mbrs2q0.jpg (http://s352.photobucket.com/user/Ourk/media/8D5E1925-09E4-4E6F-996F-712355CAF4CB_zps0mbrs2q0.jpg.html)

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r322/Ourk/B1782313-7E61-43DC-AD93-EA81781B7905_zpsa9fkuecw.jpg (http://s352.photobucket.com/user/Ourk/media/B1782313-7E61-43DC-AD93-EA81781B7905_zpsa9fkuecw.jpg.html)

any suggestions? Is the too bad of a carpet to work on that it just will not come up at all?

JMP
02-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Appears you have tried varies methods...you might want to try a mixture of lemon juice, white vinager and salt as a pretreatment...let that sit five minutes and hit it with the extractor...

JMP
02-07-2015, 02:55 PM
And do a test spot first!!

flatstick
02-07-2015, 02:58 PM
I would try the folex on the carpet first before any other chemicals. rub it in and let it dwell for a while. I have gotten many different stains out with it .

Larry A
02-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Somethimes stains on gray carpeting will turn brown after there cleaned. I had a Volkswagen with brown spots on a gray carpet, and I just dyed them. I had a can of gray carpet dye from Technition Choice, and lucky it was the right shade of gray.

Azure
02-07-2015, 09:20 PM
I've never tried the stuff, but would that Oxyclean stuff get that road grime stains out? They always show it being poured on carpet and it removes the stain etc.

IG: @azurebluemach

brondondolon
02-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Somethimes stains on gray carpeting will turn brown after there cleaned. I had a Volkswagen with brown spots on a gray carpet, and I just dyed them. I had a can of gray carpet dye from Technition Choice, and lucky it was the right shade of gray.

I had a 88 jeep cherokee many moons ago with the same issue. Brown stains that wouldnt come out. Although back then I had zero idea what i was doing when it came to detailing as i was still using the dish soap and towel wash lol. I was 16 lol. But what i ended up doing is I bought a bottle of RIT fabric dye in black. Said mix a couple of oz per 5 gallons. I used the whole bottle in about half a gallon and went to town with a scrub brush essentially dipping it and scrubbing the dye in. Came out looking great. Had black carpet for about 2 bucks and 2 hours of work lol.

Kengo123
02-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Go with a stronger dilution for the pretreatment, and let it dwell 20 minutes after agitating.

It looks like the dirt/stain came up and wasn't extracted all the way out. After extracting, buff it DRY with a towel really really well

Firehouse Mike
02-07-2015, 10:24 PM
As I tell some customers, stains are just that...stained. I do have carpet dye I can do for additional cost, but most people understand that some stains are just there for good. Even in 19 year old truck carpet.

beenen
02-07-2015, 11:22 PM
Appears you have tried varies methods...you might want to try a mixture of lemon juice, white vinager and salt as a pretreatment...let that sit five minutes and hit it with the extractor...

Go with a stronger dilution for the pretreatment, and let it dwell 20 minutes after agitating.

It looks like the dirt/stain came up and wasn't extracted all the way out. After extracting, buff it DRY with a towel really really well

I'll try these out tomorrow thanks everyone for the suggestions

As I tell some customers, stains are just that...stained. I do have carpet dye I can do for additional cost, but most people understand that some stains are just there for good. Even in 19 year old truck carpet.

Yea I feel like that's what I'm going to have to say if I get carpets like these

KMdef9
02-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if those are protein stains, won't OPC set them in?

You might need ptotein based cleaner. Can't recall what some are ATM.

Detailing by M
02-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Carpets are a dirty filthy beast.
I get all my carpet cleaning advise from Professional Carpet Cleaners.
They mostly say not to use heat and most stains won't come out. Do to the fact that they have been set for years and I meen years. They spilled that coffee 5 years ago and they think the stain will come out? No way.
All you can do is clean it.
Car Carpet isn't as durable as most people think.
I only use professional carpet cleaning products and I'm still surprised at what can't be cleaned.
Find a local Janitorial Supply House and check with them for the right stuff.

VP Mark
02-09-2015, 06:50 PM
They mostly say not to use heat and most stains won't come out. Do to the fact that they have been set for years and I meen years. They spilled that coffee 5 years ago and they think the stain will come out? No way.
I only use professional carpet cleaning products and I'm still surprised at what can't be cleaned.

I think this is one of the greatest carpet cleaning posts in AGO history. Many people can learn from this. Most stains can NOT be removed, no matter the process or chemicals used.

Eandras
02-09-2015, 07:17 PM
The first thing I would do is use a stiff brush and brush the stain prior to vaccumming. This will loosen some of the stain from the carpet. Vaccum the carpet and proceed with Folex. Spray it and let it dwell. Get the carpet damp to the touch with the folex. Then agitate with a stiff brush and blot with a white terry cloth towel. This is gonna take time. Steam and extra at the end

dwolson2
04-03-2015, 03:20 PM
:iagree:
Although I don't see the hype everyone is giving folex. I bought some, it worked ok. I gave mine away. I now use prochem liquid slurry, cheaper and works waaaay better. I've had stubborn stains like the OP, and tried APC, Folex, Laundry soap with oxyclean without getting the stain out. I tried those products with an extractor first, then steam after. I had gotten a sample of the prochem from a local cleaner and tried it and it took out 80% the first pass, the rest on the second pass. If you still haven't gotten out the stains(if its your personal vehicle) try the prochem stuff.