PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Ultimate Compound

chachi94
02-07-2015, 03:01 AM
So i used ultimate compound with DA polisher on a black nissan altima. I did 2 applications on a test spot and it did look like it took out most of the swirls/scratches but if i get a good angle and sun hitting i could still see couple scratches. I did put some presure behind DA polisher but still am afriad to put to much presure.

Question is. Is it normal when using compounds to do more then one application to get the results u want?

On a side note i noticed alot of lil chips in the paint.. especially in the hood. Any idea where they came from? or what caused them? I know rocks may have done it but so many???

dlc95
02-07-2015, 03:19 AM
What pad, and what speed are you using?

chachi94
02-07-2015, 03:34 AM
orange compound pad on speed 5

HateSwirls
02-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Ultimate Compound works very well, you can get great results in using it with the correct pad
It's normal to make more than one application , go over it again.
Don't forget to follow up with a Polish, Meguiar's Ultimate Polish is also good,Meguiar's 205 is even better if you have some.
After the compounding stage go over it with a polish using a white pad, use speed 3-4 with light to medium pressure to remove hazing, it will define your paint.

mwoolfso
02-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Compound works very well, you can get great results in using it with the correct pad
It's normal to make more than one application , go over it again.
Don't forget to follow up with a Polish, Meguiar's Ultimate Polish is also good,Meguiar's 205 is even better if you have some.
After the compounding stage go over it with a polish using a white pad, use speed 3-4 with light to medium pressure to remove hazing, it will define your paint.

Perfect.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-07-2015, 08:43 AM
Agreed with what Kevin said. The bad thing about black paint is that it unfortunately does show all rock chips more than other colors. You can get a touchup pen and fill.

aim4squirrels
02-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Don't bother with anything under max speed six when compounding with a PC, pad, and ultimate compound. You're not going to hurt the paint with that combo unless you turn the machine upside down and swing it by the cord.

Mark the beveled edge of your backing plate with a sharpie in a radial straight line out from center. Watch the rotation as you're working. If the line makes you dizzy, use more pressure. If the line stops or slows to a crawl, back off. If you still aren't getting the cut you want on one pass, you'll need to alter the product, go to a microfiber cutting pad, or make another pass with fresh product and a cleaned pad.

chachi94
02-07-2015, 10:40 AM
thx everyone all good information for me to keep in mind.:dblthumb2:

wdmaccord
02-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is realizing if they are deeper scratches that maybe you shouldn't be chasing to perfect. If you have removed the swirls and lighter scratches from one application, the remaining are likely much deeper. If you can catch with your nail, you won't get them out. If not, try another application if you want (keep in mind you are removing another layer of paint in doing this). Might be best to try a gloss enhancing polish that will fill those scratches making them less visible rather than removing more paint.

Klasse Act
02-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Everyone has pretty said what I would say as well but keep in mind you can only do so much, so don't beat yourself up too bad. The follow up afterwards will really help level things out and could give you the results your looking for.

Meg's UC on that soft black Nissan paint should really make it pop!

Meticulous-Detail
02-07-2015, 04:39 PM
So i used ultimate compound with DA polisher on a black nissan altima. I did 2 applications on a test spot and it did look like it took out most of the swirls/scratches but if i get a good angle and sun hitting i could still see couple scratches. I did put some presure behind DA polisher but still am afriad to put to much presure.

Question is. Is it normal when using compounds to do more then one application to get the results u want?

On a side note i noticed alot of lil chips in the paint.. especially in the hood. Any idea where they came from? or what caused them? I know rocks may have done it but so many???

In general, I have found Nissan black to be on the soft side. If you are getting rid of the swirls but still see RIDs than you are doing something right. Sometimes you can't get rid of all the RIDS. Here is something that I have found works for me. Take some compund with your finger and gently rub it and work it over the RID, then with a clean pad work the section. You may need a heavier compound or slower arm movements.

You are seeing all the rock chips now because the car is clean, it's black and the white residue from Megs UC is filing in the chips making them more visible.

VISITOR
02-08-2015, 02:03 AM
Great product. They have been using at the saturday classes at the Megs HQ's for years. That combined with the megs g110v2 (now mt300) and a yellowing polishing yield 85%+correction on most all the cars theyve worked on...

kleenmachine
02-08-2015, 07:27 PM
As above I would get some #205 to the the finish your after .[emoji2]

All the Best
Tony
Detailing Valeting Cheltenham
www.kleenmachine.org