PDA

View Full Version : GG DA Speed Settings varying/technique?

bossmustang16
02-06-2015, 11:06 PM
so I know I should use 5-6 for compounding and swirl removal
4 for polishing and 2-3 for wax. but the question is when should I find the need for 6? and when should I keep it on 5? how does this effect everything? Also, Mike teaches to use about 10-15 lbs of pressure when removing swirls and correcting, how much should I use when just polishing or waxing? Also i've seen a few people do a technique where they do like 4 section passes and then do the last 2 out of the 6 section passes with light pressure? any reason for that? is it needed? Also, how do I know when to stop my section passes? for compounding as well as for polishing.. I have a feel for wax.. sorry about all the questions but I could really use some answers for these questions thanks guys! love this forum everyone is so helpful!

dcjredline
02-06-2015, 11:51 PM
I personally will never use 6 again. It easily heats up the center of the pads and causes the product to clump and also may ruin the backing plate or pad. I would personally recommend that you stay at 5.5 or below.

wdmaccord
02-07-2015, 01:20 AM
I don't think I have gone over 5.5 either.

Knowing when to stop: part of that is a question of what type of compound/polish it is. SMAT doesn't have to break down, DAT does. For compounding with DAT, I usually go 4 section passes of heavy pressure/slow arm speed, then 2 light passes with a little quicker arm speed to finish off. Either way, your best friend is a test spot to see what gives you the best results.

Polishing: Probably about half the pressure of compounding and your arm speed can be faster.

In the end, paint systems are different and polishes are different and pads are different. Trick is finding the right combo and technique to achieve the results you are after for each detail.

dcjredline
02-07-2015, 02:04 AM
Well said!!

HateSwirls
02-07-2015, 06:38 AM
I never use speed 6.
It tends to wear out my pads faster and it also works the polish to quickly, causing some dusting.
I much prefer using speed 4-5 for compounding, 3-4 for polishing and speed 3 for waxing, I use these speeds when I use my GG6.

bossmustang16
02-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Well I used 6 on my roof of my mustang the other day and it seemed to do well but not any better then 5 which I had been using for the rest of the car (for compounding) I always use smat products so I guess I'll just always make 5-6 passes until the product is about broke in and then wipe and inspect. But I think yall answered all my other questions 👍