PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Roll-Off users, please advise...

expdetailing
02-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Directions say 8 oz (cup) per 5 gallons of water, which is 1 part Roll-Off per 80 parts water. Can anyone offer a word of caution regarding how strong of a mixture one can safely go with this product? I feel like experimenting with the mixture strength, but want to know if anyone has any insight first.
Feed back please

dad07
02-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Follow the manufacture's directions and you'll be fine.....ARO is a good product but there are many products out there that's just as good or better for less the cost.

expdetailing
02-06-2015, 05:19 PM
What can you compare it to?

dad07
02-06-2015, 05:28 PM
What are you using it for?

expdetailing
02-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Cleaning tires, plastic/rubber trim, white sneakers etc..

dad07
02-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Cleaning tires, plastic/rubber trim, white sneakers etc..

White sneakers....awesome stuff and even patio furniture!

Tires......Mothers foaming all wheel and tire cleaner by far superior.

plastic trim and rubber Mothers heavy duty cleaner or Megs APC+ by far out perform.

JMHO......

Don't get me wrong ARO is good......but IME there are others out there that are better and less expensive.

RTexasF
02-06-2015, 05:46 PM
I've always mixed it 50/50 in a quart sprayer for jobs like that and engines. Never a problem.

DaHen
02-06-2015, 06:25 PM
50/50 here as well for engine, tires, wheel wells and such.

expdetailing
02-06-2015, 07:27 PM
How does Optimum Power Clean compare in terms of strength and flexibility? Sorry if I am asking to much, but I want one of your guy's opinion(s) before I drop $40 on cleaner, when meg's is 20ish & Roll-Off is 20ish.

FUNX650
02-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Directions say 8 oz (cup) per 5 gallons of water, which is 1 part Roll-Off per 80 parts water. Can anyone offer a word of caution regarding how strong of a mixture one can safely go with this product? I feel like experimenting with the mixture strength, but want to know if anyone has any insight first.
Feed back please
-Depends on your definition of "safe"...and, safe in the
context of detailing vehicles/vehicle-components.

-Amazing Roll-Off (AR) is stated to be quite alkaline:
[pH ~13]

-pH 7.0 is "neutral"

-log10 is used to calculate pH...
[pH = -Log10(H+)]

-You must dilute an acid or base by 10x to get it to move 1.0 pH-unit.

Therefore, IMO:
• You need to find out if the above 1:80 dilution-ratio is the basis of the AR being pH~13, or not.

-If so:
You would then need to dilute 1oz. of AR with 800oz. of distilled water to move the dilution 1.0 pH closer to 7.0...which then would make AR's pH ~ 12...still quite alkaline.

Is this, then, a "safe" dilution ratio?

Note:
Amazing Roll-Off (AR) contains:
ethylene glycol (used in anti-freezes; desiccants) and butyl cellusolve---neither of which are paint and rubber friendly.

Bob

wdmaccord
02-06-2015, 07:56 PM
I use it 1:1. Mainly in a spray bottle for engines, wheel wells, and undercarriage. Also for all weather floor mats.

expdetailing
02-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all the information guys. All the input is highly appreciated!

wdmaccord
02-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Also, and I don't know why this is, but I have found it to work better on a surface that has been rinsed first. I did a couple wheel wells and rinsed one first then sprayed ARO. The other I sprayed ARO on the dry dirty surface. The one that was rinsed first came out better. Don't know why since that would only further dilute the product, but that was my experience.

Showtime
02-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Probably because you're removing a layer of free floating contaminents and it allows the product to penetrate teh stuff you want it to penetrate rather than teh stuff that would rinse off? Idk though

fly07sti
02-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Also, and I don't know why this is, but I have found it to work better on a surface that has been rinsed first. I did a couple wheel wells and rinsed one first then sprayed ARO. The other I sprayed ARO on the dry dirty surface. The one that was rinsed first came out better. Don't know why since that would only further dilute the product, but that was my experience.

+1 Then I read the bottle and they actually recommend rinsing area first. Oops!