PDA

View Full Version : General getting started questions

davidbev
02-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Hi
First let me say thanks for all the info here. I’m just a weekend warrior and honestly I don’t know how much deeper I want to dive in but I’ve been wanting to do more than I’m doing now. I just got a new car (Forester) so now’s the time to start.

Rather than asking the “What product do I use for_________” questions I see that there are so many products and so many opinions/experiences I will just read as many posts as I can and try different things. Maybe the better way to get started is to approach this with the attitude “do no harm”. So here are a few questions.

I’ve never clayed before. In fact, I never heard of it before coming here. I understand it a good idea for a new car. If I get the products from Autogeek, follow the tutorials, basically can’t screw it up, right? I would hate to ruin my new cars finish.

The other “do no harm” questions are about trim products and the order to use them. I know about Aerospace 303. I’m lucky enough to have a Sportsmobile, a pop top camper on a Ford E250. It sits in the driveway all year and I knew I wanted to protect the fiberglass top from UV so I’ve used 303 for that application. I see that many of you use it for trim but I’m not exactly clear on how. For a new car is 303 all I need for interior and exterior trim? Or on new trim do you use a trim product like C4 AND 303? In which order? I read that excellent post about trim products with all the pictures (thank you Nth Degree) and see that some of the OTC products like Turtle Wax work pretty good. Let’s say I use an OTC product for a while and then decide to trade up to C4 a year later. Is that a problem, have I done harm buy using a cheaper product or will I be able to switch over from a cheap product to a better one?

My car before this was 10 years old. My usual routine was to wash, wheels and tires, wax, treat trim. But one area I screwed up was the metal (silver) trim. The trim had allover, irregular shaped, whitish spots . By the time I noticed it was a problem several years in nothing would take it off, including rubbing compound. To avoid this problem how do I treat the metal (silver) trim of my new car?

I was a dish soap user (The Horror!) before I got my Sportsmobile. Someone on the Sportsmobile forums recommended VIP products from a California company, Wax Depot. I've used their products ever since. I guess they are ok as most people think my van and car look good (took the sportsmobile in for service at the factory, its 10 years old and they thought I had repainted it. That made me feel good!) I'm going to try some products from Autogeek but still want a sense of Wax Depot products so I can compare results. Is Wax Depot any good?

Any other do no harm suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

JMP
02-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Always do a test spot....least aggressive approach...Welcome and hold on to your wallet!!

cousineau18
02-06-2015, 12:03 PM
You should definitely start off with claying your vehicle and applying a choice of sealant. I used Rejex on my corvette and it works wonders when it comes to protecting paint and the ease of drying your car after washing.

When you clay like it says all over this website use very little pressure and AMPLE detail spray.

Lastly look up online and get a 2 bucket wash system with grit guards. I only use one grit guard for each bucket which is plenty. I am telling you it makes a huge difference. Check out this awesome video made by the "Junkman" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w09r6m6sRCA

Need anymore help, send me a message.

Not a pro, but like doing it on the weekend and keeping my corvette and Wife's Camry looking brand new