PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Steamer and Got No Results Whatsoever

Pages : [1] 2

Occidere
02-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Hello everyone,

so I saw a post about using a Firebird 1500 steamer to restore a Tundra interior and engine bay. the results looks amazing so I purchased one and tried it on a couple stains inside my home and then on the car.

The stains look even worse now because it whitened the surrounding area but didn't remove the stains. I also sprayed folex on the stain to help out but they didn't come off. I used the steamer on my engine and it just made it a bit wet but did not remove any grease or dirt. I used it on my door jams and it didn't remove anything, they still look dirty. This was on high power and following the manual. I waited for the heating light to be off before using it.

Has anyone gotten results with a steamer? I really need to make this work, for business.

Thanks in advance!

DasBurninator
02-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Hello everyone,

so I saw a post about using a Firebird 1500 steamer to restore a Tundra interior and engine bay. the results looks amazing so I purchased one and tried it on a couple stains inside my home and then on the car.

The stains look even worse now because it whitened the surrounding area but didn't remove the stains. I also sprayed folex on the stain to help out but they didn't come off. I used the steamer on my engine and it just made it a bit wet but did not remove any grease or dirt. I used it on my door jams and it didn't remove anything, they still look dirty. This was on high power and following the manual. I waited for the heating light to be off before using it.

Has anyone gotten results with a steamer? I really need to make this work, for business.

Thanks in advance!

What is your technique? Are you just blasting the panel from 2 feet away or up close? Are you using the triangle attachment with a towel over it?

ngonzi
02-05-2015, 12:38 PM
I have a firebird and replaced it with a hill injection. Do to lack of performance.

Audios S6
02-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Were you using distilled water? tap water contains a lot of minerals that can show up a white residue when steaming, it's also hard on the machine.

It's not often that I rely only on steam, I may start by pre-spraying with a degreaser, or I may steam and follow-up with a clean microfiber or a microfiber that i've sprayed with dressing, all depends on the existing condition. I can do these processes quickly, so it makes sense for my use. I have had success with just steam, it's great for cleaning tight spots that you can't get a towel easily. I have a mcculloch 1275, which is far weaker than your mytee.

You do need to get the tip very, very close to the grime for it to be effective.

VP Mark
02-05-2015, 01:07 PM
Were you following the steam with a microfiber to remove the loosened dirt?? Steam just loosens and breaks down the dirt. You still have to remove the dirt or stain with some sort of media.

dpk20x
02-05-2015, 01:59 PM
I have a firebird and replaced it with a hill injection. Do to lack of performance.

Did you sell your Firebird? I have one as well and was thinking about upgrading soon.

Just wondering how easy it was to move on Craigslist or eBay if you went that route.

ngonzi
02-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Did you sell your Firebird? I have one as well and was thinking about upgrading soon.

Just wondering how easy it was to move on Craigslist or eBay if you went that route.

I have it on Craigslist. I have the price listed high right now. I've gotten a few very low ball offers. I not in a hurry to get rid of it. I don't think theirs much of a market on Craigslist

dpk20x
02-05-2015, 03:13 PM
I have it on Craigslist. I have the price listed high right now. I've gotten a few very low ball offers. I not in a hurry to get rid of it. I don't think theirs much of a market on Craigslist

Ok thanks.

I was thinking of doing EBay personally to avoid that craigslist headache.

Wouldn't mind taking a small loss but really not gonna give it away

allenk4
02-05-2015, 05:40 PM
The Steamer should be used in addition to the normal cleaning process, which should include cleaning chemicals and agitation

Steam intensifies the action if cleaners like Folex, APC, etc.

Removing stains has a little science begin it. You have to match the right cleaning product to the type of stain

I get great results with mine

Pureshine
02-05-2015, 05:50 PM
The Steamer should be used in addition to the normal cleaning process, which should include cleaning chemicals and agitation

Removing stains has a little science begin it. You have to match the right cleaning product to the type of stain

:iagree:

Occidere
02-06-2015, 06:15 AM
What is your technique? Are you just blasting the panel from 2 feet away or up close? Are you using the triangle attachment with a towel over it?

On the carpet I use the scrub attachement and scrub for minutes til I am out of water. Then pat with a towel. nothing gets on the towel

On the engine and door panels I put the steam nozzle right on the surface and it looks like I sprayed mist on it.

I have seen youtube videos of people cleaning engines with it, no idea how they do it

Occidere
02-06-2015, 06:16 AM

Going to put it on ebay. Craigslist has been a waste of time for me in the past. People want things for free

Occidere
02-06-2015, 06:18 AM

Stains aside, how do you clean and degrease an engine with a steamer?

Occidere
02-06-2015, 06:19 AM

Are you happy with it? Does it clean the engines well?

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
02-06-2015, 07:18 AM
It sounds like you're a little lost in how to effectively use a steamer to improve your business and detailing. I would search around, Mike has a very good write up involving the more powerful Dupray steamers (I own one), they're very good, and MUCH more powerful than the unit you have now.