PDA

View Full Version : Xpel and light correcting polish

Salagati
02-05-2015, 06:53 AM
I have XPel on the hood, front bumper and rock guards on my rear qtr panels. When the spring comes I am planning on doing some light paint correction on my car and was wondering if I could use a light correcting polish (Blackfire Gloss enhancing Polish or Blackfire SRC clear finishing polish) over the Xpel using DA buffer. My installer said no problem but I want to know if anyone has any experience doing this. I did coat with full Zaino process and Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant and it looks great and cleans easily. It's just time for a refresh.

I have searched but have not seen any members who have done this. Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Best
Sal

Salagati
02-06-2015, 11:08 PM
What, no advice or input?

fly07sti
02-06-2015, 11:33 PM
The only experience I have with PPF's is removing them. If your installer says it will be fine then give it a shot. I would probably do a test spot on the rock guards. From what I've read on polishing PPf is that it can be done as long as it's not very aggressive. So maybe get a polishing pad or finishing pad and have a go at it. Like always, try your least aggressive approach first.

FUNX650
02-07-2015, 03:25 AM
Quote [from XPel]:

"The best solution is going to be to use 3M Perfect -It part# 06064 Machine Polish, with the coordinating buffing pad part# 05738. Use a an Orbital buffer at the lowest speed and then gradually progress up as needed. This must be done very carefully so that you don't burn through the film. I usually hit the area a few times for about 15-30 seconds each time".

Bob

Brace1
02-08-2015, 05:17 PM
My installer said a light polish/AIO would be ok, but definitely move quickly (don't work to break it down) the heat generated would melt the XPEL. I've just avoided polishing it all together.

swanicyouth
02-08-2015, 06:01 PM
I've polished my clear bra multiple times. I'd recommend Optimum lotion polishes (SMAT). Get in - get out. Don't worry about breaking down abrasives. You will be fine with polishes, polishing pads - or less aggressive combos. I wouldn't use a compound.

It's really not much different than polishing paint. You just want to use slower speeds & less pressure.

builthatch
02-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Xpel Ultimate has a .5 mil self-healing coating.

clean/decon the film without abrasion and heat it up to see if it heals. i think they recommend using hot water, believe it or not. at least they used to.

Cosmin
02-09-2015, 01:08 AM
in case you go ahead and polish the film , keep in mind to tape the edges, you may damage the film or may build up white polish residue at the film edge....

:pc7424:

addysdaddy
02-09-2015, 07:41 AM
I've spoken with the people at SunTek and they said you could use a light polish about 7 times - which sounded fishy to me. I use a nanoskin mitt or towel to decontaminate and occassionally Klasse (AIO) by hand to clean. After wiping it down, finish with either Plexus or BF Crystal Seal. YMMV, but I don't think using a DA is the best course of action with this material. If there was a bad spot, I would step up to a mild polish but again, only working by hand.