PDA

View Full Version : 3" griots garage pad issues?

Pages : [1] 2

bossmustang16
02-04-2015, 09:17 PM
so i've been using my 3" plate and 3" GG orange and black pads to do my mustang and after a bit of use a ring gets formed on the outside diameter of the pad around the velcro and its recessed or pushed in. almost like a crater effect. Its coming from pushing down on the da while it is spinning and the backing plate makes a ring in the pad that eventually grooves its way worser and worser. does this mean i'm pushing down to hard??

Kamakaz1961
02-04-2015, 09:30 PM
It might be you are using too much pressure, that would be my guess without pics. However, I no longer use GG 3" pads as even when I was using their 3" red pad for waxing (very little pressure) the foam pad split apart from their backing. I was left with the backing part of the foam pad on the BP.

I switched to Lake Country Hydrotech and CCS Pads and have not ahd a problem since.

My guess is too much pressure. Remember anywhere from 5 - 15 pds max...is all you need depending on what you are doing. And 15pds IMO is way too much for me. 8 - 12 pounds would be about right.

bossmustang16
02-04-2015, 10:03 PM
we'll i'm gonna be buying pads again soon so I wanna make sure I'm getting something good when I re buy. I guess i'll try those ccs pads or the hydrotechs? which would you recommend? I need some 3" and some 6.5 or 6

Setec Astronomy
02-04-2015, 10:07 PM
You are using the 3" pads on what machine?

allenk4
02-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Pictures Please

Kamakaz1961
02-04-2015, 10:46 PM
we'll i'm gonna be buying pads again soon so I wanna make sure I'm getting something good when I re buy. I guess i'll try those ccs pads or the hydrotechs? which would you recommend? I need some 3" and some 6.5 or 6

I have both. I prefer the Hydrotechs slightly more than the CCS. Either way you can't go wrong with any of those to. BTW, when you do try them; you will see what I mean about the quality of those pads compared to the GG ones.

bossmustang16
02-04-2015, 10:57 PM
You are using the 3" pads on what machine?

My Griots Garage 6" DA with a 3" backing plate

bossmustang16
02-04-2015, 10:57 PM
I have both. I prefer the Hydrotechs slightly more than the CCS. Either way you can't go wrong with any of those to. BTW, when you do try them; you will see what I mean about the quality of those pads compared to the GG ones.

Awesome cool, thanks man!

DBAILEY
02-05-2015, 05:20 AM
My GG 3" orange pads did the same thing, then the Velcro fabric started coming away from the foam until it was useless. Could not hold up to all the action a 3" pad undergoes.

Setec Astronomy
02-05-2015, 07:31 AM
My Griots Garage 6" DA with a 3" backing plate

IMO that's too much machine for the pads. I don't go smaller than 4" on that class of machine.

dpk20x
02-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Sounds like too much pressure. Could be too high of a speed as well. I don't like using 3" pads on my GG6 but it certainly is doable.

I normally run around speed 3.5 or 4 at the most. And as far as pressure goes I only push down hard enough to slightly compress the pad.

whavens
02-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Yeah, that is a lot of torque on those pads. I would imagine that GG has them manufactured for use on the 3" machine, which wouldn't have near the torque of the 6 incher.

Setec Astronomy
02-05-2015, 09:52 AM
I would imagine that GG has them manufactured for use on the 3" machine, which wouldn't have near the torque of the 6 incher.

That's an understatement, that GG 3" is pretty wimpy (I have one), I can't imagine what the GG 6" would do to those pads.

whavens
02-05-2015, 09:54 AM
I have one too. It's only saving grace is tight spots. But then you have to work forever on them, because it just doesn't have the ooomph to get the job done quickly.

bossmustang16
02-05-2015, 09:56 AM
well thats the thing is I have to have some 3" pads because there are tight spots you just need to have it for. and for some reason the pads are sturdy like the 6.5" pads from gg that I have. the 6.5's are hard to press in well atleast the orange one is.. but the 3" pads feel like marshmallows so its hard to make yourself not put any pressure on them.. will be trying out the hydro techs.. I believe I like that idea a lot better!