PDA

View Full Version : Advise Please acid rain?

coolmoon
08-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Hello everyone, greetings from Ga. first time posting on AG and after reviewing many hours in the forums it opened my eyes on detailing my own car there had to be something better than what was on the shelves at the retail stores .So I googled " what was the best wax" and came across this link and now the proud owner of a PC 7424 So the dilemma I have is with water spot etching , what I own is a 06 Honda Element with black pearl as the color and on the hood and the top roof are from what I can tell is subtle micro pitting with random crater like pits which I enclosed some pics of the hood in my garage looking at the ceiling towards the light , so I have started with the Pin Xmt series #3,#1 , and glaze and started on one section using #3 / CCS orange SP and breaking it down ,and same with the others the finished improved greatly 60% light scratches and webs are gone and water spot have toned down alot but are still visible so anyone's advice will be greatly appreciated . should move to a yellow with #4 or use some other product ? Thanks
http://picasaweb.google.com/coolmoondesigns/Element/photo#5102067947282643154

Thejoyofdriving
08-23-2007, 08:56 PM
I would attack it with some OPT compound and a medium cutting pad, if that doesnt do it you can step up to opt hyper compound with a med. cutting pad or a heavy cutting pad. My guess is that OPT with a med cutting pad should do it, but i have never worked on a car like that so i dont know how hard the clear is. OPT compound is going to offer some main advantages over XMT 4, first it does not dust and it has a very very long working time. I would go for the OPT compound and a med cut pad.

coolmoon
08-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the info and your right Xmt does dust (what a pain! ) nail brush does clean the pad well but after awhile you look up and its every where . From what I read is that honda 's paint is soft , and I will start out in small steps towards aggressive side.

ScottB
08-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Acid Rain is industrial fallout that accumulates in our atmosphere and is released in the rain we have. Unfortunately for most cars that are not well protected, this can etch paint almost immediately. Claying, polishing, and wetsanding are only choices with the latter two being the true choice.

With polishing you will likely only reduce or lessen the visibility of the marks. Wet sanding is often needed and best done by professional. Some other outside companies offer an acid based wash that is said to help remove, reduce, and stop this but there is as much negative and positive on the process. I would always suggest keeping a car as well protected as possible, and most importantly dry and remove excess water asap on paint !