PDA

View Full Version : A busy weekend at the shop...

HateSwirls
02-02-2015, 07:29 AM
Friday I did a paint correction on a Ford Fuzion.
I had two trucks scheduled on my planner for the weekend, one was a full wash detail, the other a two stepper.
Well just as I was finishing up the last one a red Camry pulls up, I asked man if I could help him, he said he had a 10am appointment with me.
Like, oh no, the Super Bowl, plus I was beat up.
Long story short, I did all three of them.

For the life of me I just can't see how I missed that.
No time to dwell on it being I'm slammed with work all week.

Has this ever happened to any of you?

Dr_Pain
02-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Paint correction Friday
Paint correction Saturday (on a truck mind you)
Truck full wash detail and the Camry (what ever you did on it?)

YOU CRAZY?!?!?!!

I did a true 2 step on a 2500HD (+ CQuartz Finest) this weekend, and could not imagine having another polishing job on the books at the same time. Well, I actually had a basic maintenance wash but that was it!

HateSwirls
02-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Paint correction Friday
Paint correction Saturday (on a truck mind you)
Truck full wash detail and the Camry (what ever you did on it?)

YOU CRAZY?!?!?!!

I did a true 2 step on a 2500HD (+ CQuartz Finest) this weekend, and could not imagine having another polishing job on the books at the same time. Well, I actually had a basic maintenance wash but that was it!

I did an AIO on the Camry.

My arm is hurting again man.
Today I had to use my DeWalt 849x on a paint correction.
Dunno man ,Flex causing me problems.
Now I'm thinking of getting the Rupes.
It's only the Flex that causes pain, all good with my GG6 but with having to do so many paint corrections I'm having to use the Flex.

I have three full paint corrections I have to do between now and Sunday and another one next Tuesday.
It's so bad in the morning I tell you, to a point I can't pour a cup of coffee using my right arm.

jarred767
02-02-2015, 09:07 PM
I did an AIO on the Camry.

My arm is hurting again man.
Today I had to use my DeWalt 849x on a paint correction.
Dunno man ,Flex causing me problems.
Now I'm thinking of getting the Rupes.
It's only the Flex that causes pain, all good with my GG6 but with having to do so many paint corrections I'm having to use the Flex.

I have three full paint corrections I have to do between now and Sunday and another one next Tuesday.
It's so bad in the morning I tell you, to a point I can't pour a cup of coffee using my right arm.

Kevin, it's awesomd that you are obviously in high demand, but you gotta soace some of those corrections out, especially since they're taking a toll on your body. It won't matter how busy you are if you can't physically do it three months from now.

Raise your prices on corrections to weed some of them out. You could still be working enough, but making more in the process.

Good luck with it man!

cardaddy
02-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Kevin, it's awesomd that you are obviously in high demand, but you gotta soace some of those corrections out, especially since they're taking a toll on your body. It won't matter how busy you are if you can't physically do it three months from now.

Raise your prices on corrections to weed some of them out. You could still be working enough, but making more in the process.

Good luck with it man!

:iagree:Kevin you need to take care of yourself brother. All that work isn't going to do you any good if you hurt yourself to the point to where you're not recovering between jobs.

Silly me, I spent the better part of 6 days doing a multi-step on a C7 starting week before last that was picked up last Wednesday. ;)

Oddly enough the Flex isn't causing me any problems, even with my really bad C5/C6 and T6/T7. Sure you can tilt it and it'll go this way or that, but I really didn't have any learning curve with it. (Even working with 6½" pads.)

Kevin, are you holding the Flex like a regular buffer (as in the head away from you), or are you holding one end in your left hand, the other in your right (as in holding it crossways)? I noticed Mike Phillips way back when in his classes (and videos) holding it sideways a lot. I tried that day one and it worked like a charm.:)

HateSwirls
02-03-2015, 07:35 AM
:iagree:Kevin you need to take care of yourself brother. All that work isn't going to do you any good if you hurt yourself to the point to where you're not recovering between jobs.

Silly me, I spent the better part of 6 days doing a multi-step on a C7 starting week before last that was picked up last Wednesday. ;)

Oddly enough the Flex isn't causing me any problems, even with my really bad C5/C6 and T6/T7. Sure you can tilt it and it'll go this way or that, but I really didn't have any learning curve with it. (Even working with 6½" pads.)

Kevin, are you holding the Flex like a regular buffer (as in the head away from you), or are you holding one end in your left hand, the other in your right (as in holding it crossways)? I noticed Mike Phillips way back when in his classes (and videos) holding it sideways a lot. I tried that day one and it worked like a charm.:)

You guys are right about over doing it
So what I'm going to do is let my detailer do the corrections for me for the next two days, he's the one that thought me how to do paint corrections some 30 some years ago.
I'll do the washing and detailing for now :dblthumb2:

Tony, I operate the Flex as I do my rotary,left hand on the head and my right hand on the trigger , I suppose I could just switch my hands around.

The weird thing is I don't have any pain while using the Flex, it's when I'm done working a panel.

Kengo123
02-03-2015, 08:09 AM
I think he means holding the polisher across your body side to side, as opposed to straight out in front of you

aim4squirrels
02-03-2015, 10:33 AM
I think you're probably just bearing down on the Flex harder than a DA. The flex won't stop, the DA will cease rotation. Basically, the Flex isn't giving you the "back off" feedback a DA will.

You know best what you're doing of course, but in the heat of battle...

And yeah, you're way overdoing it on the scheduling. Full time detailer doesn't mean all the time detailer.

tigerwash
02-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Good to see you're staying busy

HateSwirls
02-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Good to see you're staying busy

I see you live fairly close to me.
How is the detailing business going for you this time of the year?

HateSwirls
02-03-2015, 05:40 PM
I think you're probably just bearing down on the Flex harder than a DA. The flex won't stop, the DA will cease rotation. Basically, the Flex isn't giving you the "back off" feedback a DA will.

You know best what you're doing of course, but in the heat of battle...

And yeah, you're way overdoing it on the scheduling. Full time detailer doesn't mean all the time detailer.

I use my left arm to add pressure when needed.
The arm that has pain is in my right arm.

I'm not totally sure but I think it's the rotation of the Flex that adds stress to the arm.
Also from picking it up and putting it down, always use my right arm to do it.

cardaddy
02-03-2015, 08:01 PM
I think he means holding the polisher across your body side to side, as opposed to straight out in front of you

Yep, that's exactly what I was saying. :dblthumb2:

Kevin,

I'll do right (or left) hand on the trigger as well. I'm left handed, but do most everything right handed. Even left eye dominate, but for some reason haven't taken to shooting a rifle left handed.

But for the Flex, holding it side to side tends to make it much easier to handle. (Not like you can't just lock it "on" and handle it with one hand anyhow, but when putting pressure on it, side to side works like a charm.)

HateSwirls
02-04-2015, 05:37 AM
Yep, that's exactly what I was saying. :dblthumb2:

Kevin,

I'll do right (or left) hand on the trigger as well. I'm left handed, but do most everything right handed. Even left eye dominate, but for some reason haven't taken to shooting a rifle left handed.

But for the Flex, holding it side to side tends to make it much easier to handle. (Not like you can't just lock it "on" and handle it with one hand anyhow, but when putting pressure on it, side to side works like a charm.)

OK, now I understand :dblthumb2:

Makes sense, I'll give it a try today working on a Nissan Frontier
I'll let you know how it goes.

Dr_Pain
02-04-2015, 11:42 AM
I have a Flex, a Rupes 21, a GG6 and the easiest to handle is the Rupes.... FO SHO! The Flex is a work beast (with the forced rotation) but Rupes is much smoother. If you want to handle it and try it before you spend the money, feel free to come by (or maybe next time I am in Lafayette I can bring it with me and you can meet me somewhere!?

HateSwirls
02-05-2015, 06:36 AM
I have a Flex, a Rupes 21, a GG6 and the easiest to handle is the Rupes.... FO SHO! The Flex is a work beast (with the forced rotation) but Rupes is much smoother. If you want to handle it and try it before you spend the money, feel free to come by (or maybe next time I am in Lafayette I can bring it with me and you can meet me somewhere!?

I wish could try it out this weekend being I have a full size truck to do that's in bad shape.
If I continue to have pain I may just buy the Rupes if I like it or trade for a Rupes if I could find someone who's thinking of trading they're Rupes, I'd first would have to use a Rupes on a big job first before trading my Flex.
It weird ,I don't have pain when I use my GG6, in fact I had to use it all day so that I could give my arm a rest from using the beast.
It's a pity because the Flex does amazing work, very fast corrections.
When I do cars it's not as big of an issue, it's when I do those big F-250's, I do many of those.

I also used my rotary yesterday , it didn't cause me to have pain either.
Hmmm, dunno.