PDA

View Full Version : Flex PE-8 Kompakt Finally Used it for a comment update!

Kamakaz1961
02-01-2015, 01:52 PM
FINALLY!!! I was able to use the PE-8 this morning for a considerable amount of time. I wanted to give anyone who is looking into getting one or has one my thoughts on the PE-8. I did an exfoliation of my ride this morning (could only finish the front half of my car due to time constraints). Wash, Clay, Polish (with my Flex 3401 w White Pad and SF4500) and applied a sealant with the PE-8. I will be applying a wax with it to later today/tonight for the heck of it and get used to the PE-8.

The 1st and most important to me is that speed setting 1 at 1,300 RPM is fine. I see a lot of negative comments regarding that 1,300 RPM is too high. I applied a sealant on the hood and front fenders. I had to bump the speed setting up to 2 as Speed setting 1 was TOO LOW. So any of you that are concerned with speed setting 1 at 1,300 RPM as I said before it is a NON-ISSUE (about the 4th time saying this)
I used a 4" Red LC Hydrotech Pad.

Now for the parts that will take a bit getting used to:

1. You will have to get used to keeping the polisher FLAT. It will grab and walk if you are at an incorrect angle. IMO the handle it came with is useless. Some may disagree but that is me.

2. When spreading sealant or any other compound/polish you better know how to do the 10/2 method of applying the product as I had splatter all over the hood. Once I used that method I had no issues. Mike Phillips has a how-to; to show what I am talking about.

3. I can see where the holograms can come into play. As I was applying sealant you could see how it could hologram. In my case this was not an issue as I was applying a sealant. No cutting ability at all and after removing the sealant no holograms were present.

4. Speed Setting 1 (1,300 RPM) is fine. As I said before, I had to bump the speed setting to 2 for my taste.

5. The Side Button: It took me a few tries to really get the feel of the button. It IS POSSIBLE to control the speed if you get used to it. You can adjust the speed setting pretty easy even when the PE-8 is running. My case was to bump the speed setting to 2 while it was running. IMO you will or can get used to the side button. I have and it is not a problem.

6. The PE-8 is quieter and smoother than your DA. I am used to my DA being louder and vibrating. The PE-8 does not do this.

7. GET the 5/8 extension. IMO that gives you more maneuverability with the Rotary.

8. The PE-8 is light and you can maneuver the rotary real easy.

OVERALL I am happy I got the PE-8. The biggest thing you will have to learn is how to stop the walking and grabbing, however, with a few more tries I think I will master it. As for applying sealant compound/polish I highly recommend learning the 10/2 technique so you will not splatter like I did in the beginning. I will be finishing everything tonight and in the morning (had to work so not enough time to finish).

I have my PC7424XP set up to where I can use ALL of the Flex's BP and Pads for the final polish after using the PE-8. Henceforth, no holograms period! There are adapters that can make that happen. It also applies to any other DA like the GG or Megs or Harbor Freight....

I hope this will help with people sitting on the fence or for an FYI

Have a great day everyone!!

:buffing:

tuscarora dave
02-01-2015, 03:02 PM
I've been eyeballing this machine but will wait til I've seen someone actually put a few correction jobs under their belt with it. Could be waiting a while. I always thought I'd like a mini rotary but I don't like the thought of such speed setting limitations as I see on this unit.

Does it lose too much power on the 1300RPM setting that you wanted to bump it up to speed 2?

Did you notice much motor heat build up during your use of it on the 1300RPM setting?

Kamakaz1961
02-01-2015, 03:17 PM
I've been eyeballing this machine but will wait til I've seen someone actually put a few correction jobs under their belt with it. Could be waiting a while. I always thought I'd like a mini rotary but I don't like the thought of such speed setting limitations as I see on this unit.

Does it lose too much power on the 1300RPM setting that you wanted to bump it up to speed 2?

Did you notice much motor heat build up during your use of it on the 1300RPM setting?

In both cases you do not lose any speed RPM with the PE-8. The PE-8 is light enough to where (at least IMO) you cannot burn the paint. As for the PE-8 being hot....nothing out of the ordinary of any DA I have used. The heat of the PE-8 felt the same at speed setting 2.

The Speed setting at 1,300 RPM was too low for me and I bumped it to 2. You do not lose any significant RPM's with pressure with any settings. The rotary will not stop just like the Flex 3401.

As for Speed settings limitation I am a little confused? What Speed setting limitations? The speed setting goes to setting 1 to 6 and the RPM is about 4,500 Max. The rotary will not "bog" if that is what you are asking. Not like a free floating DA which will stop spinning (but will still oscillate) if you put too much pressure on the DA.

With the PE-8 you will not experience that.

As for correcting, It corrects real well as I corrected my side mirror with the 1" Pad and BP.

The thing you will probably have to get used to is the grabbing and walking. The PE-8 will not stop spinning and you must keep the Pad flat or know how to maneuver it on curved panels. I am getting used to that but still have not mastered the walking and grabbing....yet.

I hope I answered your questions.

FUNX650
02-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Thanks for taking the time for presenting this
very informative write-up...:dblthumb2:

If I may:
I believe I understand the principal behind
"picking up a bead" (of product)...

But I thought the 10@2 Method was to be used for
picking-up-a-bead with the Flex 3401 VRG?

Bob

Kamakaz1961
02-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Thanks for taking the time for presenting this
very informative write-up...:dblthumb2:

If I may:
I believe I understand the principal behind
"picking up a bead" (of product)...

But I thought the 10@2 Method was to be used for
picking-up-a-bead with the Flex 3401 VRG?

Bob

Same with the rotary. After getting splatter a couple of times I tried that method and no more splatter! My guess it is ALL a similar concept regardless of a DA or rotary.

:props:

Evan.J
02-01-2015, 03:51 PM

Dave the speed thing is being blown out of proportion IMO. I had the pleasure of testing this machine and doing demos at SEMA and MTE. I see no issues with speed one on the PE 8. Once I get mine in ill do an in depth review on it. To be honest this machine needs to be in your hands to undated how it work. I'll be willing to send it to you to test out so you can get some hands on with it.

solo3445
02-01-2015, 04:02 PM
nices write up......

FUNX650
02-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Same with the rotary. After getting splatter a couple of times I tried that method and no more splatter! My guess it is ALL a similar concept regardless of a DA or rotary.

:props:
Similar...Perhaps; kinda.

But since...
-The Flex 3401 rotates in a counter-clockwise motion; and:
-PC-style DAs, and Rotaries rotate in a clockwise manner;

Wouldn't the direction of moving any given polishing-machine, (going either to the right, or to the left), in order to "pick up the bead"...be of paramount importance in keeping the product sling to the barest of minimum?

Just curious.

Bob

allenk4
02-01-2015, 06:00 PM
The 1st "10" is the position on the pad that you run over the bead

The 2nd "10" indicates that the pad is tilted up 10 degrees, to let the polish get under the pad

IMO you can pick up a bead with a 3401 using the trigger moving either direction without any issue

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/circular-polishers-rotary-polishers-high-speed-polisher/29321-10-10-technique-picking-up-bead-product-rotary-buffer.html

FUNX650
02-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Mike Phillips says otherwise:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/33990-10-2-technique-picking-up-bead-product-flex-3401-a.html

Needless to say:
I'm in total agreement with the above article.

Bob

tuscarora dave
02-01-2015, 07:32 PM
In both cases you do not lose any speed RPM with the PE-8. The PE-8 is light enough to where (at least IMO) you cannot burn the paint. As for the PE-8 being hot....nothing out of the ordinary of any DA I have used. The heat of the PE-8 felt the same at speed setting 2.

The Speed setting at 1,300 RPM was too low for me and I bumped it to 2. You do not lose any significant RPM's with pressure with any settings. The rotary will not stop just like the Flex 3401.

As for Speed settings limitation I am a little confused? What Speed setting limitations? The speed setting goes to setting 1 to 6 and the RPM is about 4,500 Max. The rotary will not "bog" if that is what you are asking. Not like a free floating DA which willIm the MANIm the MANIm the MANIm the MANstop spinning (but will still oscillate) if you put too much pressure on the DA.

With the PE-8 you will not experience that.

As for correcting, It corrects real well as I corrected my side mirror with the 1" Pad and BP.

The thing you will probably have to get used to is the grabbing and walking. The PE-8 will not stop spinning and you must keep the Pad flat or know how to maneuver it on curved panels. I am getting used to that but still have not mastered the walking and grabbing....yet.

I hope I answered your questions.

You more than answered any questions I had. I must have misread the description when I looked at it a few days ago. Somehow I was thinking it only had 2 speeds. good to hear it has a nice range of speed settings.:props:

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

tuscarora dave
02-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Dave the speed thing is being blown out of proportion IMO. I had the pleasure of testing this machine and doing demos at SEMA and MTE. I see no issues with speed one on the PE 8. Once I get mine in ill do an in depth review on it. To be honest this machine needs to be in your hands to undated how it work. I'll be willing to send it to you to test out so you can get some hands on with it.

That's very kind of you Evan, but not necessary. I'm really not doing any detailing and or paint corrections lately so the last thing I need is another polisher. I just like Flex power tools and love rotary polishers so it's piqued my interest.

I misread the description and thought it only had 2 speeds but that was cleared up for me by the OP.