PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat issue

Red Hawk
02-01-2015, 05:43 AM
I want to remove the side molding for a cleaner look. Upon doing so, a ridge of clear out lined where the molding sat. It appears that the molding was applied while the clear was still wet. I own the Rupes system of 3 DAs & pads. How can I level the clear? Polishing & or sanding? Aside from this, the car is mint.

Mikertt
02-01-2015, 06:00 AM
Not sure if you have ever machine sanded, but that's would I would probably do. I use the Meguiar's sanding discs and preferably the 3inch discs with their interface foam in between just to be a little safer. The 1500 grit will definitely take down the ridge of clear. Just take it easy and do a few test areas first to make sure you have your technique down. Follow up with the 3000 grit to remove the deeper sanding marks. Then go with a microfiber pad for the Rupes and go to town removing your sanding marks. A final polish to remove any possible DA haze you might get from the compounding step. You should have a nicer finish after that. Another option if you want to skip the sanding is the 3inch CarPro Denim pads. I used it with a the FLEX PE-14 rotary and it did a good job of removing any heavy orange peel I had on my repainted parts.

Red Hawk
02-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks,Mike. No, I haven't done any machine sanding in the past, but I'm not afraid to give it a whirl. Been watching the vids where the pro's make it look so easy.

Mike Phillips
02-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Here's what you want to get,

Griot's Garage 3" Polisher
Meguiar's 3" Interface Pad
Meguiar's #3000 3" Unigrit Discs
3M Trizact #5000 3" discs

Machine sand the ghosting marks using the #3000 followed by the #5000 and then remove your sanding marks using the Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Compound with the Rupes Blue Foam Cutting pad on any of the Rupes tools.

Simple Simon

Sometimes you cannot remove 100% of the ghosting appearance left by trim or signage, or fill in the blank. Just keep that in mind...

I'll try to post the picture of how I used the above on the hood of this old 2-door Ford before I go home today. I machine sanded it twice and then buffed out my sanding marks and polished and waxed till it's all purdy....

Breaking in the new Show Car Garage - 1932 Deuce Roadster! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/88672-breaking-new-show-car-garage-1932-deuce-roadster.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=90144

:)

Red Hawk
02-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Another Mike, the Mike to thank. I already own the Griot's Garage 6" & 3" polishers. They didn't remove any light scratches or swirls. That is why I bought the Rupes 21, 15, & 75. So far, I can say they are awesome at repairing paint defects. Did all my homework on Autogeek concerning the Rupes. Thanks again.

allenk4
02-02-2015, 10:04 PM
The Denim pads are not great for this task

I had a similar situation following removal of a pinstripe

Mike Phillips
02-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Another Mike, the Mike to thank. I already own the Griot's Garage 6" & 3" polishers. They didn't remove any light scratches or swirls. That is why I bought the Rupes 21, 15, & 75.

Good to hear...

So far, I can say they are awesome at repairing paint defects.

Did all my homework on Autogeek concerning the Rupes.

Thanks again.

Good to hear too!

So keep us posted on how the machine sanding and then polishing work goes...

Maybe a pic or two... other people come to this forum with this same issue and your story could help others into the future.

:Picture:

Red Hawk
02-05-2015, 11:55 PM
Will do.