PDA

View Full Version : Clay, Clean, Polish or go straight to Wax

chachi94
01-31-2015, 06:28 PM
Is it okay to clay, clean with ultimate compound and then go straight to liquid wax? or should i use ultimate polish before waxing?

2black1s
01-31-2015, 07:08 PM
I'll assume you're talking about Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (UC) and Ultimate Polish (UP). Although many will give you their suggestion/recommendation/opinion, and they might be different between different folks, the real answer is subject to your expectations and something that your eyes will tell you.

Here's what I mean...

If you are satisfied with your paint's appearance after the UC, then by all means, apply the wax and call it a day. If not, then do the UP step prior to the wax.

We all have varying degrees of expectations and varying degrees of perceived perfection. With that in mind, how much effort do you want to expend to meet your own expectations. Is the additional step going to increase your satisfaction?

Sorry for the lesson in psychology LOL.

I should have simply answered "yes". It's ok to do as you posed.

And for my final thought... Is the UC necessary? You could substitute UP for UC in your 2nd step unless you have defects that require the use of the UC.

Steelman
01-31-2015, 09:34 PM
I agree with 2black1s..."your eyes will tell you". I detailed a black 2011 Toyota, wash clay rewash, UP, U/past wax and wipe down with U-detailer. The car now had deep reflections. The owner said the car never looked that good.

dlc95
01-31-2015, 09:44 PM
I believe that in the meguiar's world, Ultimate Polish is considered "optional". There have been times I skipped the compound and went straight to polish, then wax.

Some of these products are quite versatile, simply by switching pads.

chachi94
02-01-2015, 03:43 AM
thanks for the help. :dblthumb2:

Kengo123
02-01-2015, 09:13 PM
A lot of times UP adds undeniable gloss and only a little extra polishing work

allenk4
02-01-2015, 10:06 PM
For goodness sake, is anyone going to suggest a Test Spot!

The Guz
02-01-2015, 10:09 PM
For goodness sake, is anyone going to suggest a Test Spot!

We never found out if he's working by hand or machine. Unless I missed it in one of his other threads.

allenk4
02-01-2015, 10:41 PM
We never found out if he's working by hand or machine. Unless I missed it in one of his other threads.

What would that have to do with doing a Test Spot or not?

The Guz
02-01-2015, 10:45 PM
His arms can't generate the power of a DA unless he's superman. So I don't see a problem with him going straight to ultimate compound.

allenk4
02-02-2015, 12:18 PM
His arms can't generate the power of a DA unless he's superman. So I don't see a problem with him going straight to ultimate compound.

The two are not related

Besides the fact that no one has even seen pictures of the current condition of the paint

UC will not finish down very well when applied by hand on black paint

Please try UP on a 10"x10" Test Spot. Follow Mike Phillips advice on hand polishing and put lots of passion behind the pad

This 10"x10" Test Spot took me 10-15 minutes to compound and polish by hand

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141212_11_20_07_Pro.jpg