PDA

View Full Version : One step recommendation for newer black Mercedes.

Pages : [1] 2

Axrow
01-31-2015, 12:19 PM
Hello, I was wondering if you could help me narrow down my selection before buying all of these products. I detail 2010-2014 Mercedes cars that are black one after another at a dealership. I'm looking for the best one step and these are the products I'm interested in trying with my flex 3401.

School Concepts S3 Gold
Wolfgang Uber AIO
Rupes UHS Easy gloss
Menzerna AIO

I haven't been able to find many reviews on any of these products, wondering if anyone has worked with them and can tell me how they compare. I'm currently using M205 with an orange pad and getting pretty good results for a 1 step, but there's always room for improvement. I tried Menzerna 2500 and it didn't seem to have enough cut. Menzerna 1500 finished out by far worse than Uber Compound and M105.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

tuscarora dave
01-31-2015, 12:42 PM
Try one of the compounds you have listed but work with a softer pad like a polishing pad or even a finishing pad. You'll need to try a few different techniques ie: pressure, arm speed, amount of passes etc. but you should be able to dial something in in the way of a single step procedure to please the powers that be at a dealership.

FUNX650
01-31-2015, 01:19 PM
How are you defining a one-step:
-an AIO; or:
-just one polishing step?

Also (can't help but be curious):
-Does the Dealership purchase the products/tools/pads;
-or: at least reimburse you when you buy them?

TIA.

Bob

Axrow
01-31-2015, 01:46 PM
How are you defining a one-step:
-an AIO; or:
-just one polishing step?

Also (can't help but be curious):
-Does the Dealership purchase the products/tools/pads;
-or: at least reimburse you when you buy them?

TIA.

Bob

I'm really just looking for a one step polish. If it happens to have a wax or sealant in it as well that's a plus, but the main goal is to find a one step compound/polish with enough cut that finishes off well enough for a dealership. I think Wolfgang's uber compound is really close to finishing well enough, but in sunlight it doesn't look good enough for me. I guess I should add Wolfgang tsr to the list!

Yes, fortunately they reimburse me! I'm allowed to buy anything I want. I just dont want to tell my boss, "Hey, I need to order 6 different products to see what I like." So I need to narrow it down a little.

Rsurfer
01-31-2015, 01:58 PM
I would try Sonax Perfect Finish as a one step. They also make a DA version which I have not tried. They say PF is for a rotary, but I've used it on a 3401 and it works fine. IMO on hard black paint (MB) will call for a two step, just saying.

SonOfOC
01-31-2015, 02:27 PM
Rupes UHS is designed to one-step hard ceramic paint. I have limited use with UHS, but it does work very well, the harder the paint—the better it works. However, it will not one step trashed paint. Most on your list will only remove minor swirls.

Matt@Revive
01-31-2015, 02:30 PM
i've had really good luck with Menz pf2500 on a polishing pad on softer paint and fg400 on a polishing pad on harder paint.

Rupers UHS is a great system, but mostly as a pad and polish combo, running the UHS polish on a polishing pad has given me mixed results.

i've hear Sonax work great as well as Optimum Hyper Polish.

builthatch
01-31-2015, 02:35 PM
hyper polish x2

finishes so nice, pad dependent cut. easy cleanup, no dust, compatible with OCW or Opti-Seal if you wanna wipe some protection on after.

Axrow
01-31-2015, 02:41 PM
Has anyone tried the rupes system on a flex? I assume it would work. But I think I've also heard the rupes will finish better? Not sure. I haven't tried compounds with a finishing or polishing pad yet, I'll do some testing with that on Monday.

flatstick
01-31-2015, 02:51 PM
hyper polish x2

finishes so nice, pad dependent cut. easy cleanup, no dust, compatible with OCW or Opti-Seal if you wanna wipe some protection on after.

this sounds like a great suggestion. I have used hyper and it does finish very well with no mess. if you want to add an Optimum lsp after that it would go super quick. considering you want to stay away from multiple steps this should work. surprised the uber did not finish out good enough, has worked nice the few times I used it on dark colors.

FUNX650
01-31-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm really just looking for a one step polish. If it happens to have a wax or sealant in it as well that's a plus, but the main goal is to find a one step compound/polish with enough cut that finishes off well enough for a dealership.
Then the product in this Mike Phillips article
might just be what you're looking for:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/85290-jewelling-wax.html

Yes, fortunately they reimburse me! I'm allowed to buy anything I want. I just dont want to tell my boss, "Hey, I need to order 6 different products to see what I like." So I need to narrow it down a little.
And that's pretty cool of the Dealership to do that for you...
That doesn't happen too often!

Bob

Axrow
01-31-2015, 02:55 PM
I guess its worth noting I used the uber with an orange pad... I'll try it out Monday with a finishing pad!

Matt@Revive
01-31-2015, 03:04 PM
. I haven't tried compounds with a finishing or polishing pad yet, I'll do some testing with that on Monday.

almost all of my one steps are done with a polishing pad, i mostly use finishing pads for sealant and wax application. i've found finishing pads to be too soft to make proper use of a polish. if PF2500 doesnt give enough cuy i'd try using FG400 on LC CCS white pad, or HD Orange pad.

this is FG400 on a Rupes Yellow pad. this paint is not as hard as Mercedes, but it finishes nicely on this soft paint.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/ridenaked600/Mobile%20Uploads/Moldiv_1422578631473.jpg (http://s995.photobucket.com/user/ridenaked600/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Moldiv_1422578631473.jpg.html)

Axrow
01-31-2015, 03:32 PM
And that's pretty cool of the Dealership to do that for you...
That doesn't happen too often!

Bob

Agreed! They also don't mind us doing side work as long as its not between 9-5 monday-friday with their shop/supplies. Definitely a cool place to work. I need to work on building up a few clients. :)

Axrow
01-31-2015, 07:13 PM
Has anyone tried scholls concepts s3?