PDA

View Full Version : First day with Griots 6" Da.. results!!

bossmustang16
01-29-2015, 06:17 PM
so i've been researching for the past 2 weeks on how to use this thing and proper techniques and blah so after probably 20+ of videos and forums and advice I tried it out on my moms 2006 charcoal lexus es350.
Her car has awful I guess you could say acid rain or etching in the clear on the hood and trunk lid so I slapped on some tape for a 50/50 and a orange gg correcting pad and some meguiars ultimate compound after claying the surface and priming the pad of course and the results were amazing!! I went over it pretty extensively but got the surface almost 90% better and didn't even need to polish after it. I will post pictures soon.. her car also had some pretty decent scratching on a drivers side panel and i was able to remove that with a black finishing pad and meguiars swirlx
very easily and quickly! I will say the griots is a heavy machine at first..but i'm liking the results! i just wished i could capture them as good with camera as i can with my eyes.

bossmustang16
01-29-2015, 06:20 PM
One thing I did find odd was that after doing the trunk lid which is a small area, and a drivers side whole door panel I did not find that my pad was even remotely "dirty" or in need of cleaning... and i noticed some smoke coming off of my pad after i got done compounding the trunk lid when i got done very briefly..

bossmustang16
01-29-2015, 11:03 PM
http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/bossmustang16/IMG_3013_zpsb24419ba.jpg

bossmustang16
01-29-2015, 11:04 PM
after

IMG_3026_zps8fddba47.jpg Photo by bossmustang16 | Photobucket (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/bossmustang16/media/IMG_3026_zps8fddba47.jpg.html)

50/50
IMG_3030_zpsf284b108.jpg Photo by bossmustang16 | Photobucket (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/bossmustang16/media/IMG_3030_zpsf284b108.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0)

davey g-force
01-29-2015, 11:22 PM
Looks good!

Now she'll expect you to do the whole car!!

Maybe the pics aren't doing it justice, but it looks like you could improve the look with a finishing polish like M205. :xyxthumbs:

dlc95
01-29-2015, 11:22 PM
Nice!

Does the pad get got?

davey g-force
01-29-2015, 11:32 PM
i noticed some smoke coming off of my pad after i got done compounding the trunk lid when i got done very briefly..

:eek: That can't be good.
Sounds like you either stayed in the same spot for too long, pressed down too hard, dry buffed, or all of the above.

The Guz
01-30-2015, 12:00 AM
Looks good. You should not be seeing any smoke. Definitely look at your technique. Something is not right.

You could actually follow up ultimate compound with swirlx and a polishing pad since it is a polish.

dlc95
01-30-2015, 12:47 AM
Looks good. You should not be seeing any smoke. Definitely look at your technique. Something is not right.

You could actually follow up ultimate compound with swirlx and a polishing pad since it is a polish.

Or Ultimate Polish. Both of those are staples in my inventory. Actually all three are. I kind of position the SwirlX as my "one step". Paired with a light cutting pad, it is quite the swirl fighter. Even more so with a microfiber pad.

I think th Ultimate twins, and SwirlX are underrated and overlooked.

HateSwirls
01-30-2015, 06:55 AM
Make sure pad is completely dry after cleaning them.
Shouldn't see smoke.

bossmustang16
01-30-2015, 09:34 AM
yea i thought the smoke was bad.. well the spots i guess oxidation and acid rain didn't come off the first time so i started applying more pressure the second application time around and the pad was warm when i got done. and i thought about finishing up with the swirlx after but I didn't see any hazing or anything so i didn't really feel the need it looked sharp! but the smoke concerns me.. i was probably pushing down too hard.. It felt like i was fighting that thing when i first started using it but i got the hang of it after a few passes i believe..

irvsmith
01-30-2015, 10:04 AM
I saw that too on my last run with the GG. I was struggling with too little versus too much product (spray versus tough to complete section passes.) I also think a couple of my pads were still wet internally.

David