PDA

View Full Version : Spring plan.....

Buffalohonker
01-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Hey guys living in buffalo ny it's been well below freezing for awhile now and after our freak 7 foot snow storm in November I am chomping at the bit for warm weather to get
My truck looking right again. Have in my head my plan for my truck come nice weather just wanted to see if it is similar to what you guys would do living in the north country. First and foremost pressure wash off all the salt, then plan to wash, then clay my entire truck do you think 1 meguiars kit is enough for a full size crew cab ram? Then wash again, I would then like to hit it with Meg's 205 on a machine I plan on purchasing in a month or so. And finishing with mega gold class wax. Is there anything in missing that I need/should do?

Thanks

Desertnate
01-29-2015, 08:47 AM
That sounds like a reasonable plan. From another thread you mentioned the truck is fairly new, so as long as winter and the dealer were fairly kind to the vehicle, 205 should do it for you.

A couple of suggestions.
- You don't really need to wash it again after the clay

- Meguiars Ultimate Polish might be a more user friends product to try your first time out. I've never used 205, but have used UP and it's a breeze since it's a consumer grade product vs part of the professional line.

Buffalohonker
01-29-2015, 08:56 AM
I do have ultimate polish I have hand applied before never with a machine

wdmaccord
01-29-2015, 09:05 AM
Assuming you are talking about the Megs 2 bar clay kit? If so, start with half or even 1/3 bar. Shouldn't need more than 1 bar total to do the whole truck. Fold after each section.

If you find UP doesn't do the trick for you, pick up some Ultimate Compound. First time I did my cars I used this and didn't need a finishing polish afterwards. It finishes really nice. If you take care and wash properly after that, you should only need to polish 1-2 times per year with UP.

Have you considered a sealant instead of wax? It would last longer. If you are going to stick with the GC wax, you should re-apply at least monthly.

Buffalohonker
01-29-2015, 09:18 AM
I haven't gone to sealant because generally after I wax with gc I use quick wax after washing for a few months until I do gold class again. Yea I was referring to the 2 bar kit so I have plenty then. I really enjoy cleaning my vehicle so I haven't gone to a long lasting method to take away from that haha

Desertnate
01-29-2015, 09:27 AM
Based on where you live I'd suggest a sealant or long lasting wax like wdmaccord mentions. You can then top it off occasional after a wash with a quick wax.

You're truck will be better protected and always look good.

Buffalohonker
01-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Does a sealant require a cure? Cause I don't really have a place I can put my truck for a day or whatever without getting stuff on it

Desertnate
01-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Some take longer than others.

Most of the time, if you leave it alone when your done and not try to apply a wax or other product on top for a day or two you should be fine. Curing doesn't imply you have to put the truck in quarantine for 12 hours. You can still drive it...or at least I have with no ill effects when using Klasse Sealant Glaze (its not a glaze). I've also had the vehicles sit outdoors and get covered in dew with no durability issues.

You can also look at a product like Collinite 845 which is a little less picky to apply and just as durable.

conman1395
01-29-2015, 11:24 AM
Does a sealant require a cure? Cause I don't really have a place I can put my truck for a day or whatever without getting stuff on it
Some take no time like DG 105 mixed with 601.

wdmaccord
01-29-2015, 11:32 AM

I try and keep it dry for at least 12 hours, but that's just me. If you were to apply in the morning then put it out in the sun, you'd probably be fine after a few hours.

And if you enjoy the waxing part, you can still wax on top of the sealant. And still use the quick wax after washes.

Buffalohonker
01-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Do you think meguiars new paint protect 365 would be good? Then I can throw some wax over it?

LRC3
01-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Man I know the feeling, this winter weather is crazy...

I have a brand new GG6, hydro pads on deck waiting to get busy.

If you have 205 already no need to buy any other polish, just use that!

The Guz
01-29-2015, 04:21 PM
Do you think meguiars new paint protect 365 would be good? Then I can throw some wax over it?

If you are going to go with 365 then you don't need to use any spray wax or a wax over it. It is designed for long term protection. Simply wash and dry.

To go into more detail. By adding a wax on top of it, you are altering the surface tension to what the topping product is.

If you want to do a sealant/wax from Meguiar's consider ultimate wax/gold class or better yet M21/M26 or Ult. Wax/M26 maintained with Ultimate Quik Wax or D156 from their detailer line.