PDA

View Full Version : AW yes/no topper over carnuba?

Pages : [1] 2

ricka
08-23-2007, 07:14 AM
There are links discussing this but really can't get a consensus. Absolutely love the carnuba look (I do percieve a difference on my metallic silver) but not sure if AW is wasted over carnuba...and vice versa.

So here are some thoughts and questions;

Does AW adhere to the carnuba (Liquid Souveran) or just sit on top? And will both be washed away (I use either DG 901 or DP 4-1 rinseless wash).
Better to use EITHER carnuba or AW but not both?
Better to use a carnuba spray over it LS? There seems to be two distinct camps touting either carnuba or synthetic sealant.
DG 921/521 has some cleaners in it when used between washes. Does it tend to strip away the carnuba. I mix an ounce or so of AW in the FC&S.
Carnuba slickness appears much better than AW (don't get me wrong, I love AW)
I tend to apply carnuba when I have time--very relaxing and rewarding. AW is a good quick application after washing.That's it. As always thanks for the participation.

sparkie
08-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Does AW adhere to the carnuba (Liquid Souveran) or just sit on top? And will both be washed away (I use either DG 901 or DP 4-1 rinseless wash). Yes #951 bonds to carnauba. No #901 nor DP 4-1 will wash off the waxes or sealants.
Better to use EITHER carnuba or AW but not both? #951 works best on top of wax and sealant.
Better to use a carnuba spray over it LS? There seems to be two distinct camps touting either carnuba or synthetic sealant. What ever you prefer.
DG 921/521 has some cleaners in it when used between washes. Does it tend to strip away the carnuba. I mix an ounce or so of AW in the FC&S. Good question, it will strip away some (very lite) but both products add back sealants.
Carnuba slickness appears much better than AW (don't get me wrong, I love AW) #951 works best to enhance waxes and sealants gloss and slickness.
I tend to apply carnuba when I have time--very relaxing and rewarding. AW is a good quick application after washing. Yes, an awesome quick enhancer. #951 is made to work with about all waxes and sealants. The only problem I have seen with #951 is on top of PB spray & wipe.
From AG site:
Enhanced gloss and an incredible “wet look”!

Duragloss Aquawax is formulated to wax after washing in one easy step. Duragloss AW produces a high gloss, durable finish with minimal effort. Aquawax contains no abrasives and is clear coat safe.

This is Duragloss’ most popular product! Duragloss Aquawax produces a deep, wet gloss on clean paint. On an already waxed finish, Aquawax deepens the reflection, enhances the shine and increases slickness. This is a synthetic sealant spray with the gloss of a wax.

Though Duragloss Aquawax is designed for a post-wash touch-up, it makes an incredible topper over any of Duragloss’ polishes: Polish and Cleaner #101, Clear Coat Polish #111, and Total Performance Polish #105. These are all essentially paint sealants. After they’ve had adequate time to cure, spray on Aquawax and buff to a dramatic gloss.

Use Duragloss Aquawax any time to enhance gloss. As a maintenance wax, it applies an extra layer of protection and enhances the gloss of the existing paint protection. We recommend using a plush Cobra Deluxe Jr. Microfiber Towel to buff off Aquawax.

Since Duragloss Aquawax is a polymer sealant, it has good durability in its own right, but it will last longest when used as a topper. Plus, Aquawax will increase the lifespan of your existing paint protection.

Enjoy incredible depth and gloss in a convenient spray-on formula with Duragloss Aquawax #951.

Grimm
08-23-2007, 10:05 AM
The jury is still out for me on whether AW will work over carnauba. I'm having issues with it fogging up on my hood. It may be an issue of applying it too thick, but I think it's more of a heat issue (engine heat/outside temp of 80's/black car) since it's only been a problem on the hood and has happened more than once. But I want to experiment more including another wax before I give my own verdict.

Mike T
08-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Well said Sparkie. You say the only problem with #951 you've seen is with S&W? Could you elaborate a little more.

wolfpacker92
08-23-2007, 11:33 AM
The jury is still out for me on whether AW will work over carnauba. I'm having issues with it fogging up on my hood. It may be an issue of applying it too thick, but I think it's more of a heat issue (engine heat/outside temp of 80's/black car) since it's only been a problem on the hood and has happened more than once. But I want to experiment more including another wax before I give my own verdict.

Grimm I too have seen hazing/streaking on hoods but I have seen it with every QDer I have. It has only done it to me when the hood is hot. Never ever had this problem on a hood that wasn't hot.

Grimm
08-23-2007, 11:42 AM
No, I think you may have misunderstood. I applied the AW after a wash in the shade when the car was cool, and then the next day, or a couple days later it fogs over and if I touch it, it smears.

sparkie
08-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Well said Sparkie. You say the only problem with #951 you've seen is with S&W? Could you elaborate a little more.
Streaking

Grimm
Remember, a little goes a long was with #951. Shake product well, pre spray a lite coat on MF one time. Then one sweeping spray per body part....

sparkie
08-23-2007, 12:35 PM
No, I think you may have misunderstood. I applied the AW after a wash in the shade when the car was cool, and then the next day, or a couple days later it fogs over and if I touch it, it smears.
Sounds like you have the product on to thick. I've done that on my wife car before..

Mike T
08-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Streaking

Grimm
Remember, a little goes a long was with #951. Shake product well, pre spray a lite coat on MF one time. Then one sweeping spray per body part....
Doh.....http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/8008/oops7yt.gif

Al-53
08-23-2007, 01:42 PM
As Sparkie said..it may be on to thick..OR the wax has alot of oil content and when its hot the oils raise havoc...

Waxes do not bond to paint like a sealant does..it sorta just lays on it....some waxes with a polymer added to it for durability sorta bond..but not like a pure sealant does...

Some waxes use different oils as a gloss enhancer and also as a spreading agent...like coconut oil...banana oils...and a few others...when they got warm they sorta evaporate ..this may cause some of the fogging...do not know for sure....

some of the hard shelled waxes like Meg's #16...the collinites...Blitz...I never seen a problem....the Beauty waxes may be a different story...when they are heated up by the sun....

AL

Grimm
08-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Since it happened twice all over the hood, and only the hood, I'm pretty certain it's more to do with the heat than being too thick, but I'm not ruling that out either. I'm pretty sure this is a beauty wax. It's one of the test waxes from P21S. So Al's thought makes sense.

Al-53
08-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Since it happened twice all over the hood, and only the hood, I'm pretty certain it's more to do with the heat than being too thick, but I'm not ruling that out either. I'm pretty sure this is a beauty wax. It's one of the test waxes from P21S. So Al's thought makes sense.

Ok...P21s contains a lot of bees wax also....very low melting point...cause of this..P21s is not the most durable wax for the money..its called a concourse wax....I believe its named that since its good for that day of show...

Guru reported it wax of choice in thier tests...well bad choice...Sov is a much better wax as far as looks and stability in the elements....so with the beeswax and cindaleria (sp)..that may be the problem...since they sorta run in the heat

Al

2turbos
08-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the tips once again!!

FMINUS
08-23-2007, 06:34 PM
I have streaking issues when applying over Carnauba

Grimm
08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I'll also point out that I washed the car last weekend which was about a week after the hazing happened this last time. After the wash, which I did in the garage later at night, I went over the car with a quick detailer and it looked great. All the haze was removed. Well, the next day after I drove it in the late morning, early afternoon on a hot day it was all hazed over again.