PDA

View Full Version : What pads to get?

2001MineralGrayStang
08-22-2007, 10:21 PM
I just got a rotary buffer from harbor freight today. Not the most expensive I know but it'll do for now. I was wondering what kind of pads I should get. I also have a PC with the LC CCS pads. I really like them with the PC but I've heard wool is the way to go on a rotary. I've heard bad things about the edge wool pads. I got a wool pad with it from harbor freight to pratice with, I tried it using XMT 4 and 3 and wasn't very impressed. Didn't seem to get much out and just left hazing which I had to take off using my orange LC CCS pad and XMT 3. BTW I tried it out on my mom's intrepid which needs a lot of work. Between the two it turned out descent but not perfect. So, suggestions?

ScottB
08-23-2007, 03:30 PM
wool is very abrasive ... I would stick to LC kit or Edge kit depending on your flavor and disposable income. XMT was designed for PC use, and should break down rather well with the extra heat rotary provides. Tread safely and keep speed relatively low.

2001MineralGrayStang
08-23-2007, 04:32 PM
I guess I didn't word that the best. My fault, I was tired at the time. What I meant was I tried using the wool pad with XMT 3 and 4 and didn't get the greatest results. It left hazing and didn't seem to remove the swirls that well. I then went to my orange LC CCS pad from my PC and had better results, no hazing and much fewer swirls. Better results then I'd get with my PC but still not perfect. I have some meguiars polishes I might try too. I know menzerna would be the way to go but it's not an option at least for the immediate future.

D
08-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Wool is 100 times easier to control on the rotary then CCS cutting pads. I havent tried foam wave pads. But Id go with LC foamed wool and 100% wool for serious stuff.