PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'll be needing some touch up paint!

P1et
08-22-2007, 08:24 PM
So I'm dumb. Really dumb. I was just washing my truck and there was a kink in the hose. As I was trying to unwind it, the hose slipped out of my hands and of course the brass end hit my truck pretty damn hard.

Now I'm missing some paint, CRAP! There are two almost circular pieces, one about 3mm in diameter and the other one about 5mm in diameter. It's obvious as I have a black truck.

Looks like I'll be needing some touch up paint! Where can I get some good stuff?

I'll also need a tutorial on touching up your paint. What is the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to go cry now.

Jimmie
08-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Don't blame you for wanting to cry. That's a tough one. I've always bought from the dealer but here's another alternative. PaintScratch Touch-Up Paint (rs), Spray Cans, Spray Paint, Paint Pens, Car Paint, Automotive Paint (http://www.paintscratch.com) . I think it's OK to link to this since AG doesn't have paint. If not please delete Mods. Also Totoland has posted some good techniques on touch-up paint. I got a lot better at it once I got over my fear of sanding down the blob.
Notice at the top of the web page, a tab that says "how to apply paint".

P1et
08-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks Jimmie, I'll keep that in mind.

If Toto has posted techniques on touching up paint, does anyone have the link? I will try and post a pic of the damage later on...

Reddwarf
08-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Oh P1et, that blows!

Gary Sword
08-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Sorry to hear about that P1et. I thought you were going to Cancun.

FMINUS
08-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Get paint from your dealer.

Tonya
08-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Sorry P1et :grouphug:

sparkie
08-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Sorry to hear that bro. I hate that for you... Hope you can take care of that real easy... Keep us updated if you can, and let us know your process..I would check out what Jimmie posted... Looks like some good stuff....

Jimmie
08-22-2007, 10:09 PM
This is the one that I was thinking about.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/3150-rotary-boo-boos-chip-filling.html

P1et
08-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks guys! I have been looking online at some other websites and found a few useful links. We'll just have to deal with it! I've had the truck for a bit over 3 years now and this is my first boo boo. I'm still mad though!!!

Gary - we were able to push back the holiday for a few days, we're leaving on Saturday now and returning on Wednesday. You have to love Expedia for working that out for us...

Grimm
08-23-2007, 06:48 AM
I'm with FMINUS, get paint from the local dealer. I don't know what the stuff is like on that other link posted, but when I got paint from the dealer it was much better quality than the stuff you get at the local stores. It's thicker and easier to deal with.

greg'sgoat
08-23-2007, 07:45 AM
I would say avoid the dealer if their price is anything more than $10. The paint on GTO's is notoriusly thin, and in the three years I have had my car, the front bumber, hood, and fenders have taken their beating from road debris and anything else you can imagine. I picked up a touch up kit from paintscratch.com. They VIN Match their kits, so the paint is the exact metallic match, and the clear is the same factory clear. They also send rubbing compound and laquer thinner, but I have no need for that. The brush they have is ok for bigger spots, but a tooth pick is your friend for smaller areas. If you have no fear, you can buildup a little extra clear and 3000grit wet sand the area and buff away. YOu should never see it after that.

P1et
08-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks Greg.

Like I said, the spot is pretty big. About as big as my pinky fingernail. Yes, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Looks like I'll be picking up some paint from either the dealership or paintscratch.com and be trying my best to cover it up.

Does anyone have a good tutorial they can share on how to fix this? Maybe I'll shoot Toto a PM...

Thejoyofdriving
08-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks Greg.

Like I said, the spot is pretty big. About as big as my pinky fingernail. Yes, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Looks like I'll be picking up some paint from either the dealership or paintscratch.com and be trying my best to cover it up.

Does anyone have a good tutorial they can share on how to fix this? Maybe I'll shoot Toto a PM...
Exact thing happend to me....kink in the hoes while washing...tried to strighten it out... hose it car... and since there was a bunch if sand and rocks on the hose it left some pretty good marks. Also one time my foam gen was not on all the way and it flew off when i tried to turn it on and it took a chunck out of my paint. I have a bit of experience when it comes to touch up paint. First of all light colors are almost impossible to get match from what i have seen, dark colors are much easier. I get my paint from the dealer but you dont have to. I have had some bad experiences with wet sanding :(;) so i would stay away from it, i got to try out the langka pint repair kit and i like it. Its a bit pricey bit it works. it comes with every thing you need except the paint. the paint applicators are really nice. I think they have a tutorial video for sale made by langka, i would go with the langka kit and the vid. BTW the langka kit will fix lots and lost of chips and scratches.