PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Interior Seats

AustrianOak82
01-27-2015, 02:47 PM
I recently performed a detail on a car with a very light beige interior. I used my VX on the trim and carpets and didnt have any issues. When it came to the seats, the steamer was doing nothing to clean them. I had the triangle attachment on, with a terry towel over it. I then sprayed the seats down with Meguiar's foam cleaner and tested my carpet brush on them, but it frayed so I didn't use that. I was at a total loss at why I couldn't get these seats clean, but the carpets looked great. I also sprayed the seats completely with folex and had the same result.

When you guys are doing cloth seats, how are you cleaning them most of the time? I have always used terry over the head with the steamer on medium or high but if that doesn't work, what's next? The brushes I do have are too abrasive to use for seats and I don't like spray foam cleaner since it gets all over the car and the nozzle is terrible. I was thinking of locating some detail brushes, round ones, and trying a new product. Is there a soft and safe carpet brush I could try maybe? Anything I could have done wrong using the VX? Thanks.

allenk4
01-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Cyclo makes brushes for use on a DA

The grey one is suggested for Upholstry

Big time saver

allenk4
01-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Post some pictures

wdmaccord
01-27-2015, 05:48 PM
I use a fabric cleaner. Mist water on the seat, spray fabric cleaner, agitate with upholstery brush, then use the extractor with just hot water to rinse and extract.

CG Lightning Fast or Folex would be a couple recommendations for this method. CG Fabric Clean is really good too, but it is really foamy so it takes a while to completely extract.

AustrianOak82
01-27-2015, 08:29 PM
Cyclo makes brushes for use on a DA

The grey one is suggested for Upholstry

Big time saver

I have the gray one and the green one. I have the 3" and 6" GG polisher. I have tried a few times to use them but the brush would never spin, just orbit in place. I would have to hold it perfectly flat on whatever surface I was doing or it wouldn't work. Very frustrating and wasn't worth the effort in my opinion. Am I doing something wrong?

I use a fabric cleaner. Mist water on the seat, spray fabric cleaner, agitate with upholstery brush, then use the extractor with just hot water to rinse and extract.

CG Lightning Fast or Folex would be a couple recommendations for this method. CG Fabric Clean is really good too, but it is really foamy so it takes a while to completely extract.

I have the Mother's upholstery brush and I feel like it is WAY too harsh for cloth seats. Carpeting and mats I feel like it's fine for but as stiff as these bristles are, I can't use it. I was thinking about picking up a new upholstery brush that is safe on all cloth. Any recommendations? There are about 78 on this website.

wrb_subie
01-27-2015, 09:04 PM
I always have luck with the brush attachment on the DA. Folex for touch stains or what I prefer to use is a degreaser mixed with my favorite car soap diluted with water in a bucket. Then I will extract with my mytee.

If you ever have something difficult like that again I'm pretty sure I'm down the street from you and I can assist in tackling it. I do it part time so I'm usually available if not at my full time job

drumr_102
01-27-2015, 10:19 PM
I have a horse hair brush that I use on upholstery. I've never seen seats that it was too stiff for.

allenk4
01-27-2015, 10:26 PM
The brushes work great on my old PC 7424 on speed 7

Why not just make setting 6 faster?

Well, this one goes to 7

Spinal Tap reference

Kengo123
01-27-2015, 10:49 PM
I find that if seats or carpet dont come clean with just spraying cleaner, scrubbing and wiping, then extracting is the only way.

You dont need an "extractor" either, just a good wet vac, bucket of hot water (or even cold water), aggressive apc or alkaline cleaner, amd if possible, a fiber rinse product. And of course microfiber towels and brushes to agitate

wdmaccord
01-28-2015, 12:16 AM
I have the Mother's upholstery brush and I feel like it is WAY too harsh for cloth seats. Carpeting and mats I feel like it's fine for but as stiff as these bristles are, I can't use it. I was thinking about picking up a new upholstery brush that is safe on all cloth. Any recommendations? There are about 78 on this website.

I use this one: Natural Tampico Upholstery & Carpet Scrub Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/natural-tampico-upholstery-carpet-scrub-brush.html)

AustrianOak82
01-28-2015, 07:47 AM
I use this one: Natural Tampico Upholstery & Carpet Scrub Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/natural-tampico-upholstery-carpet-scrub-brush.html)

I have been looking at that one. How soft would it be compared to the Mother's?

I find that if seats or carpet dont come clean with just spraying cleaner, scrubbing and wiping, then extracting is the only way.

You dont need an "extractor" either, just a good wet vac, bucket of hot water (or even cold water), aggressive apc or alkaline cleaner, amd if possible, a fiber rinse product. And of course microfiber towels and brushes to agitate

I have a Bissell cleaner that I use to do extraction every once in a while, but thinking of uopgrading to a little bit nicer one. I use steam for pretty much everything so just need it for the one offs, like this one.

I always have luck with the brush attachment on the DA. Folex for touch stains or what I prefer to use is a degreaser mixed with my favorite car soap diluted with water in a bucket. Then I will extract with my mytee.

If you ever have something difficult like that again I'm pretty sure I'm down the street from you and I can assist in tackling it. I do it part time so I'm usually available if not at my full time job

Small world, I think I remember you being close to me. I'm in Pittsboro and work out of my house. Goes for me too, if you ever need assistance let me know. I work FT and do detailing PT, about 1-2 cars a week. You don't happen to work at M&M in Brownsburg do you? I see an STI there all the time and there is a detailing sign on their property also.

Odisious
03-25-2015, 08:00 PM
The brushes work great on my old PC 7424 on speed 7

Why not just make setting 6 faster?

Well, this one goes to 7

Spinal Tap reference

Haha...was reading along trying to get advice on fabric cleaners and ran into this. Haven't quoted this line among friends in a long time.

"See most amps only go to six and so our goes over the top, and beyond anything else. So we made ours to go to seven."

"Why not make 6 the highest, and just make 6 the level that goes over the top and beyond?"

"...Well, this one goes to seven."

I can't even remember what I was looking for in this thread now. :haha: