PDA

View Full Version : How to remove pet hair..

Pages : [1] 2

mills3
01-27-2015, 10:04 AM
What is the best way to remove white pet hair from the interior? I'm currently working on a truck with dark interior, namely the floor and carpets that has white pet hair all over it. I can't seem to get it out/off with a Shop Vac. Any suggestions or tips?

flatstick
01-27-2015, 10:14 AM
I have a rubber brush that works great on pet hair. if you do not have the brush ( assuming you do not ) you can put a latex glove on your hands and wipe. scrape the hair into your vacuum and let it suck it up.

mills3
01-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks flatstick. I used a nylon brush, but it's not working. It's making me angry. I'll try the rubber glove trick. Heck at this point I'll try anything.

Belphegor
01-27-2015, 10:28 AM
http://http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/88221-pet-hair-removal-interior-detailing-before-after.html#post1208748

SYMAWD
01-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Try using a squeegee.

flatstick
01-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks flatstick. I used a nylon brush, but it's not working. It's making me angry. I'll try the rubber glove trick. Heck at this point I'll try anything.

Th brush that I use is rubber and it creates a static charge that lifts the hair away from the carpet as it brings it to the surface. it has round bristles on one end and a flat side like a squeegee to round it all up. the latex glove will give you the same type of static buildup but will require a little more elbow grease. for me the key with the glove is to drag you hand from flat palm down to palm being 90 degrees .picture mimicking the action of broom bristles if that makes any sense. may not be as fast as using the rubber brush but I figured your are in a bind and should have latex gloves.

expdetailing
01-27-2015, 11:07 AM
My best methods are: a rubber pet hair brush, a hand-held belt driven vacuum utilizing a roller brush, and a lint roller.

conman1395
01-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Sounds like you need it for a current client? The veterinarian I take my dogs to carries the rubber brushes. I've seen them at other places too but can't remember where. Otherwise you can get them cheaper online if you can wait.

Every_detail
01-27-2015, 11:29 AM
The pet hair brush is good. Small strokes and always using the vacuum. Latex glove is another good one even using your air attachment to get the majority out first before trying one of the other options.

expdetailing
01-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Guys, I can't stress the importance on a belt-driven roller brush like the one found in the 7amp version of the hand-held dirtdevils. The brushes driven by air; well I don't know about metro's because I've never used them. However, all the other OTC ones I found weak and ineffective. A big aslo here; Kirby sells the "Zip Brush" atttachment that will fit standard vacuum hoses. It is phenominal. Untill you have the Zip Brush, and/or a powerful roller brush, you ARE wasting a lot of time. Time is money, sometimes.

bwatereagleman
01-27-2015, 01:31 PM
I use a Porter Cable and the white nylon carpet brush purchased from AG with great results.

White Standard Carpet Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/whstcabr1.html)

If you set the machine speed too high, it might sling the pet hair around a bit, but that is kind of what you want. The hair settles back on top of the carpet which allows you to vacuum it off the surface. I usually can run the machine between 3-4, and it does great. It is a great time and muscle saver.

The only suggestion that I have is, you need to make sure the brush is rotating and not just oscillating. The oscillating motion will bring sand and loose dirt to the surface, but it won't usually dislodge the pet hair. I suppose the best imagery I can provide is that the rotation rapidly sweeps the carpet fibers and that motion pulls the hair from the fiber.

The other advantage to this method is that you are actually lifting quite a bit of embedded dirt at the same time. Carpets usually look much better after I vacuum thoroughly with this method.

DetailKitty
01-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Another vote for the rubber brush!
I use this every time I clean out our truck which we transport the hounds in. Brushing smalls areas into the nozzle of the shop vac works AWESOME for me :dblthumb2:

2black1s
01-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Two-inch masking tape! Or even six-inch. Duct Tape even works. Tear a strip off, apply it to the affected area, pull it off and wah lah, the hair is now on your tape. Simple and effective.

allenk4
01-27-2015, 04:26 PM
Two-inch masking tape! Or even six-inch. Duct Tape even works. Tear a strip off, apply it to the affected area, pull it off and wah lah, the hair is now on your tape. Simple and effective.

Works, but waaaaaaaaaaay too slow

+1 on the Cyclo brush on a DA, while wearing gloves that have rubber palms and fingers

If you choose the pumice stone, be careful as it will scratch plastics very easily

HateSwirls
01-27-2015, 07:04 PM
I use a rubber brush also.
A damp MF towel helps me also, along with air.