PDA

View Full Version : Pre Paint Protection before Paint Protection Film

11Frontier
01-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Just wondering everyone's thoughts about what the paint prep should be before applying paint protection film to a new straight from the factory BMW SUV. My son picks it up from SC and stops by on the way home to visit and get the film applied here in NC before heading up to NJ.

I'm curious and concerned more than he is about it but I'm the detailer not him so I thought I would ask some of the experts here because I'm still new at this stuf.

So what should be done prior to adding the film?

My thoughts are a full seal and wax. I would want it to shine under that film and what about after the application?

he's getting the front end and hood area as well as the side sections done.

thanks in advance.

custmsprty
01-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Polish the paint to get the shine, no wax or sealant underneath the film. You can wax or seal on top of the film. You want clean untreated paint for the film to adhere too.

FUNX650
01-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Polish the paint to get the shine, no wax or sealant underneath the film. You can wax or seal on top of the film. You want clean untreated paint for the film to adhere too.
^^^This^^^ :props:

• The installer will be using PPF installation prep-products.
-Doesn't want any unnecessary interference from:
"LSPs'-surface tension"

Bob

11Frontier
01-27-2015, 06:48 PM
OK, well that makes sense.

Thanks.

JamRWS6
01-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Agreed with the above. Only deviation is I've heard of some doing opti-coat underneath the film, however I have no experience with it.