PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle XMT 3-pack - which products?

CaveRacing
01-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

So I'm thinking of ordering the Pinnacle XMT 3-pack. I was also considering Meguiars UC and UP, but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the XMT products. I'd like to have XMT 360 on hand for a good AIO.

So, if I do the 3-pack, which 3 do I get? I feel like the 360 is a yes because of its versatility. It apears, based on some of my readings, that 360 can be used to finish one of the more agressive swirl removers. So I could go with #4, #3, and 360. Can xmt 360 finish what #3 starts or do I need #2? If that's the case, do I just go with #4, #2, and 360? Although, I have read that #2 is a redundant product between #3 and #1/360.

Thoughts? Am I trying to accomplish too much with just the 3-pack? Am I actually better off with Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish? I know that pad choice can help determine the aggressiveness of these, and I have mutliple pads. I am not a pro nor am I detailing a bunch of vehicles. It is just me and some friends doing some cleanup, correction, and having a good time while getting excellent results on our daily drivers.

Any help, comments, and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!!

damaged442
01-26-2015, 03:31 PM
With so many choices out there, it was hard to make a decision. I picked up the XMT line when I got my PC.

I guess it depends most on what paint you are going to use it on. #4 is compound. Rough stuff for bad paint. If you don't have heavily oxidized paint, I would not go this route. You might most likely do more harm than good. I used it on my 442 to see what it could do with an orange 5.5" LC CCS. I followed it with #3, #1, on a white 5.5" LC CCS, then Collinite 845.

Wish I got before/after pics. Lets just say the paint had absolutely no shine when I started and it reflects a bit better now. ;)

Using a PC and a white 5.5" LC CCS, I experimented with #3, #1 and 360 on my Crystal Black Pearl 2009 Acura TSX.

On the soft Acura paint, the #3 left some marring, the #1 left some marring although it was much finer and the 360 finished down well, but under some lighting conditions some slight micromarring was still apparent. Changing pads more often helped this. (experimenting, remember? LOL)

IMO, the #1 wasn't really necessary. The #3 did a good job of removing some scratches and swirls, and the 360 cleaned up the marring left behind by the #3. How many steps do you want to do? How much time do you have?

I know it's kind of stupid, but I like the smell of the XMT products. It makes working with them a bit more enjoyable. #4 reminds me of some caramel/coffee, #3 is orange, #1 is lemon and 360 is cherry.

The pad cleaner is an exception though...it has a pretty strong chemical smell and it burns the nose. Works great though!

Good luck with your decision.

CaveRacing
01-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Thank you for the feedback! This is definitely helpful.

I didn't even think about the pad cleaner as I just figured I would use APC. But now that you've brought it into the mix...

I may go with XMT #3, 360, and a bottle of the cleaner. Or, #3 and two bottles of 360. I have a few cars that I think would definitely benefit from 360 without having to spend a lot of time on them. My friends just aren't as into it as I am and I'm sure they won't want to spend quite as much time on their vehicle as I would on mine. Perhaps two bottles of 360 is the ticket

Thanks again for the advice!!