PDA

View Full Version : Are 3M Products good? Any Recommandations?

Jamie08
01-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Hi I am new to this site/forum, and also new owner of a 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee. I wanted to get some nice products to keep the car looking good and clean. I don't know much about cleaning products for cars (never really had a nice car to take care of) but want this car to last me a long time. Can anyone provide there insight on what would work best?? I was told to go with 3M products as this is a good brand. Any advice would be awesome!! Thanks. Jamie

jmsc
01-26-2015, 11:32 AM
I guess it would depend on which product(s) you are interested in.

Polishes, MF, Waxes, Dressings, Sealants, Window Cleaning, APC, Pads..........?

AG does have a large selection amongst different mfg's to choose from.

CopperMtnGuy
01-26-2015, 11:38 AM
3m to me has always seemed like a commercial body shop brand to me. I'm sure they're good, but there are so many other products that really do the job.

conman1395
01-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Go with Meguiar's and get a DA.

FUNX650
01-26-2015, 12:17 PM
•There are many professional grade 3M car-care products.
•There is also a "retail range" of 3M car-care products for
the non-professional/enthusiast...for at home use.

Here's a few of those "enthusiasts' products":
-3M Car Wash Soap
-3M Quick Wax
-3M Performance Finish Wax
-3M Show Car Wax (paste & liquid)
-3M Glass Cleaner
-3M Microfiber Detail Cloths
-3M Scratch Remover
-3M Tire Restorer
-3M Wheel and Tire Cleaner
-3M Leather and Vinyl Restorer

•The AGO store has a large inventory of 3M products:
All 3M Car Care Products (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-car-care-products.html)

Bob

allenk4
01-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Go with Meguiar's and get a DA.

You are aware that 3M owns Meguiar's, right?

conman1395
01-26-2015, 01:50 PM
You are aware that 3M owns Meguiar's, right?
Yes I am, but don't see why it matters.
If you're new to detailing getting Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish and a DA is a very good way to start off paint correction for someone new to detailing. It is also nice that they're available almost anywhere car care products are sold and are relatively inexpensive.

Jamie08
01-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Where can I find the pro products by 3m? Can I find them in the ago store? I am looking for everything from interior to exterior. Wash to tire dressing etc... Do these clay bars work that I have been reading about?

FUNX650
01-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Where can I find the pro products by 3m? Can I find them in the ago store? I am looking for everything from interior to exterior. Wash to tire dressing etc...

The AGO store has a large inventory of 3M products:
All 3M Car Care Products (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-car-care-products.html)

Bob

Ebg18t
01-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Is there a reason you are restricting yourself to just 3M products? Most of us use a selection of products from multiple companies.

Jamie08
01-26-2015, 06:56 PM
No not at I am open to any suggestions! Just was advised 3m was the way to go

geekdout
01-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Their "Show Car" paste wax is really good.

All of their polishes and compounds are designed to be used with a rotary polisher at least within their commercial line of products.

WAXOFF
01-26-2015, 07:22 PM
I use the compound and polishes. The bottle are marker #1, #2,#3 The work great. I really like the Ultra fine it really makes black shine and has a long working time.

allenk4
01-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Yes I am, but don't see why it matters.
If you're new to detailing getting Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish and a DA is a very good way to start off paint correction for someone new to detailing. It is also nice that they're available almost anywhere car care products are sold and are relatively inexpensive.

That suggestion makes more sense than the original post which simply suggested going with Meguiar's

Smitty4x4
01-26-2015, 08:27 PM
FWIW I am fairly new to enthusiast level detailing. I have 3M compound and polish in large bottles that were given to me by friend that owns a body shop. I also have a smaller bottle of thier ultrafine polish. I also have the Meg's Ultimate Compound and Polish. I have a PC DA and keep going back to the Meg's Ultimate products because they seem to work better with the DA. The 3M compound and polish I have dusts quite a bit and is harder to work with. I suspect that as others have mentioned, it is because it is meant for a rotary. I do still finish with the 3M ultrafine polish, as it seems to work fine with the DA. As my experience and equipment stash grows, I may go back to the other stuff more. For starting out I reccomend the Meg's Ultimate Compound and Polish. I had to kearn the hard way. On a new car, I would hope you don't need heavier correction yet.