PDA

View Full Version : Professional detailers chime in! Paint correction time frame

Pages : [1] 2 3

KS_Detailing
01-26-2015, 10:58 AM
I have tried searching for past threads on this topic I have read a long time ago but cant find them! I would like to know how long it is taking professional detailers (or even those who detail for a hobby) to perform a proper quality paint correction. I have been detailing professionally for sometime now. A 2 stage correction (compounding & polishing + coating) is taking me anywhere from 10-16 + hrs depending on some variables. How big the vehicle is, different sizes of panels, condition & how much correction is needed, time decontaminating, etc..

I get quality results if given that time frame but apparently I take too long. I thought it was a reasonable time frame. Curious how long it takes others?

Thanks for the input Feed back please

conman1395
01-26-2015, 11:24 AM
8-14 hours accounting for car size and how bad the paint is. I used to be in the 10-16 range but the better I got with my products (polish and compounds). Add in other products like clay substitutes and IronX as well as other things to speed up the process and you can get it even lower.

allenk4
01-26-2015, 12:14 PM
It all depends on the % correction you are trying to achieve

Basic compounding and polishing COULD be accomplished in 5-6 hours, if the goal is 75-85% correction

RIDS slow me way down during the compounding stage, as I am always shooting for 95% correction

Allow at least an extra hour and a half for prep and application, if you are using a "coating"

Ebg18t
01-26-2015, 12:15 PM
I agree with conman. 8-14hrs depending on the condition and expectations.

KS_Detailing
01-26-2015, 12:38 PM
It all depends on the % correction you are trying to achieve

Basic compounding and polishing COULD be accomplished in 5-6 hours, if the goal is 75-85% correction

RIDS slow me way down during the compounding stage, as I am always shooting for 95% correction

Allow at least an extra hour and a half for prep and application, if you are using a "coating"

The goal is close to 95%-100% correction as possible because we are coating.

FrankS
01-26-2015, 12:48 PM
On a standard sized car such as a 4 door Toyota Camry, my experience is about 6-8 hours for the correction (compounding) step alone. The correction (compounding) step normally takes the longest since your sections tend to be around 16" or 18" square and you use slow arm speed with an average of 6 passes per section...of course paint condition and hardness will determine number of passes, arm speed, etc, but this is generally speaking.

The polishing step will go a little faster since you maybe be able to do less passes, a larger area and faster arm speed.

Audios S6
01-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Who is saying that you are taking too long? You might be on the long end of what is typical, but if you are using a DA for compounding and polishing and having to prep for a coating, then you aren't far off.

If you are using rotary and wool for your compounding step then, yes, you are moving way too slow elsewhere and should cut a few hours out. If someone is trying to compare you to a production detailer then they need an education. 95% correction is not drive-thru detailing; it's sitting down to a nice dinner knowing someone started prepping that morning or the night before.

FUNX650
01-26-2015, 01:36 PM
I have been detailing professionally for sometime now.

A 2 stage correction (compounding & polishing + coating) is taking me anywhere from 10-16 + hrs depending on some variables.

I get quality results if given that time frame but apparently I take too long. I thought it was a reasonable time frame.
You state you are a professional detailer getting quality results within what you consider to be a reasonable time frame. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

And:
Unless it's your Customer(s) saying that you take too long; or that you feel that your profit margin is suffering from time-underestimations for too many job-quotes:
Is it really anyone else's personal business?

Reminds me of the times I've had to tell someone
that they had a nose that could open envelopes.

Bob

Rsurfer
01-26-2015, 01:43 PM
If the car is relatively new and in decent shape, 90% is being reasonable. However, on an older DD, 95-100% is not achievable, IMO.

allenk4
01-26-2015, 01:46 PM

IMO, on most cars...100% correction is not possible

Unless you are wet sanding some areas and doing touch-up paint....95% is the max

This may be what is slowing you down

KS_Detailing
01-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Who is saying that you are taking too long? You might be on the long end of what is typical, but if you are using a DA for compounding and polishing and having to prep for a coating, then you aren't far off.

You state you are a professional detailer getting quality results within what you consider to be a reasonable time frame. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

And:
Unless it's your Customer(s) saying that you take too long; or that you feel that your profit margin is suffering from time-underestimations for too many job-quotes:
Is it really anyone else's personal business?

I work in a shop, im trying to cut down my time. Be efficient and get quality results

RaskyR1
01-26-2015, 03:13 PM
On my web page I list my 2-step correction package as such, "Service takes approximately 9-12 hours."

Those numbers are probably lower then the amount of time I typically spend.

Add a coating like CQF to that and it will go up by about 4hrs (with IR curing).

Rod73
01-26-2015, 04:02 PM
I just spent about 12 dedicated hours detailing a good friend of mine's car yesterday ... and I didn't even get to the polishing yet; saving that for another day. I woke up sore.

I'm seriously amazed at what you all do, the level of quality in these time frames.

Although my friend's car was much than I even imagined.

asalesagent912
01-26-2015, 04:22 PM
To do all that work from start to finish, i cant see anyone doing it in under
13 hours. Wash, clay, wheels, 2 step compound ipa wipe down and coating

mamut
01-26-2015, 06:27 PM
To do all that work from start to finish, i cant see anyone doing it in under
13 hours. Wash, clay, wheels, 2 step compound ipa wipe down and coating

i have to agree, it usually takes me a day and a half to finish a car, so thats roughly 13-15 hours. it amazes at how some people finish a complete detail in or under 8hrs. wish i was that good.