PDA

View Full Version : Advice in the detailing process

Jersey John
01-24-2015, 10:32 PM
I've had various posts for help on small things so I figured I'd make one to get a final set of answers. Basically I'm getting a DA polisher for the next detailing season and I'm immensely improving the amount of products I use in hopes of getting the best shine. Basically I'm working on a black car with decent swirls so I'm going to use Gtechniq P1 Polish to get the majority out, then I'm going to go with Chemical Guys Extreme Shine EZ Creme Glaze to bring out the black color, then Meguiars M20 Sealant to give protection, and finally Collinite 845 for a carnauba shine. I picked the products on small research and availability so I'm open to suggestions but hopefully not on the P1 and 845 because I already own them. Also as a note I prefer products I can get on Amazon due to Prime and other factors. I'm also open to any and all advice.
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance

Mach1USMC
01-24-2015, 10:40 PM
If you're looking to go pro I'd say get a Flex 3401 with LC BP and pads. If you're just doing a detail every now and then get a HF DA.

As far as your actual process goes if you're going to use a sealant you put that on FIRST. Then top it with a wax. IMO one wax is sufficient. I'd pick the Glaze OR the 845 as a topper. Not both.

Jersey John
01-24-2015, 10:42 PM
If you're looking to go pro I'd say get a Flex 3401 with LC BP and pads. If you're just doing a detail every now and then get a HF DA.

As far as your actual process goes if you're going to use a sealant you put that on FIRST. Then top it with a wax. IMO one wax is sufficient. I'd pick the Glaze OR the 845 as a topper. Not both.

I'm a hobby detailer so I was already getting the HF DA but I was going to use the glaze where it was because I was following the flowchart on autogeek.

Mach1USMC
01-24-2015, 10:51 PM
I'm a hobby detailer so I was already getting the HF DA but I was going to use the glaze where it was because I was following the flowchart on autogeek.

No worries. I just think if you use a good quality wax you don' t need a glaze. Just my .02:xyxthumbs:

allenk4
01-24-2015, 11:03 PM
I just read the product info page for GTechniq P1...

GTechniq P1 Nano Composite Polish 100 ml. (http://www.autogeekmobile.net/gtechniq-p1-nano-polish.html)

What a miracle product

I wonder why it doesn't get much run here on the Forum?

Jersey John
01-24-2015, 11:06 PM
I just read the product info page for GTechniq P1...

GTechniq P1 Nano Composite Polish 100 ml. (http://www.autogeekmobile.net/gtechniq-p1-nano-polish.html)

What a miracle product

I wonder why it doesn't get much run here on the Forum?

I tried it last year by hand but didn't get the results I wanted so I'm using the DA this year. Its so hard to get information on it, I end up going to various forums in Britain actually. I look forward to being able to change the cut so easily with the pad though.

allenk4
01-24-2015, 11:06 PM
Opinions vary when it comes to what a glaze is and where it goes in the process

Some people, myself included, used CG EZ Creme on clean paint, before applying a sealant

The idea is that you get the look/fill of the glaze and increase the durability by applying a sealant on top of it

The Great News is that you can do whatever the heck you want, as long as you like the end result

Jersey John
01-24-2015, 11:08 PM
Opinions vary when it comes to what a glaze is and where I goes in the process

Some people, myself included, used CG EZ Creme on clean paint, before applying a sealant

The idea is that you get the look/fill of the glaze and increase the durability by applying a sealant on top of it

The Great News is that you can do whatever the heck you want, as long as you like the end result

That last line is probably some of the best advice I've ever heard

allenk4
01-24-2015, 11:09 PM
I tried it last year by hand but didn't get the results I wanted so I'm using the DA this year. Its so hard to get information on it, I end up going to various forums in Britain actually. I look forward to being able to change the cut so easily with the pad though.

Tell me more about why you chose P1?

Can't you change the cut of all Polishes by changing which pad you pair them with?

Polishing by hand is a Fool's Errand. You will enjoy working with a DA

Mach1USMC
01-24-2015, 11:11 PM
That last line is probably some of the best advice I've ever heard

Yup - which is exactly why I said "my .02"

Figure out what works best for you and go with it. My process works great for me. :dblthumb2:

Jersey John
01-24-2015, 11:13 PM
Tell me more about why you chose P1?

Can't you change the cut of all Polishes by changing which pad you pair them with?

Polishing by hand is a Fool's Errand. You will enjoy working with a DA

I'm 16 and my uncle got me into detailing a few years ago and then he told me about Gtechniq C1 and after watching some videos I got that and right next to it was the P1 so I watched a video for that and figured I'd give it a try. The company has amazing products, but some of them are too expensive for me to use every year.

brettS4
01-24-2015, 11:14 PM
The EZ-Creme bottle says "creates a situation that allows the strong ionic polymer to adhere to the surface of the acrylic or urethane top coat... fast acting paint restorer with supra light cleaner to remove light marks and ultra-fine scratches."

It basically seems to be similar to WG Finishing Glaze according to the description. Smells like grape Koolade.

I originally bought it because of a lot of rave reviews. I never saw it give any wow factor so I forgot about it. But YMMV.

allenk4
01-25-2015, 12:31 AM
The EZ-Creme bottle says "creates a situation that allows the strong ionic polymer to adhere to the surface of the acrylic or urethane top coat... fast acting paint restorer with supra light cleaner to remove light marks and ultra-fine scratches."

It basically seems to be similar to WG Finishing Glaze according to the description. Smells like grape Koolade.

I originally bought it because of a lot of rave reviews. I never saw it give any wow factor so I forgot about it. But YMMV.

EZ is NOT like WGFG, which is actually a finishing polish with no LSP properties. Why PBMG decided to call it Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is curious, for an enthusiast targeted product

EZ is designed to fill in very fine scratches, which can increase the appearance of gloss. It does not contain enough abrasives to accomplish much in the WA of actually removing paint defects