PDA

View Full Version : One panel per day process

draganer
01-24-2015, 02:09 PM
I'm trying to come up with a process to detail my SUV one or two panels per day. I normally would love doing my detail in one full day session but can't these days due to time constraints and a 6 month old! Here's what's on my mind:

The Subject:
1. 2015 Lexus RX350 (Starfire Pearl) w/ about 3k miles
2. Sealed with PBL Paint Sealant after purchase (running on about 9 months)
3. Washed and maintained regularly at least every 2 weeks - usually ONR and Crystal Mist
4. Used as a daily driver but with a very short commute
5. Paint condition only has a few hairline scratches that can be seen under certain lighting/angles, otherwise in VERY GOOD condition

Parameters:
1. Garage available
2. Free flowing water / hose is available - when using this, what's the best way to avoid water splattering panels I'm not working on?
3. Spend 1-2 hours per detail session
4. Griot's 6-inch polisher is available

The Goal:
1. Focus on 1-2 panels per session
2. Use time savings products such as ONR and Nanoskin Sponge. Trying to avoid setting up a 2BM wash system and instead use my GDWM ONR bucket.
3. Create beauty of course!

The Process: (this is where I could use some help)
1. Hose off panel - again, how do I keep the water from splattering panels I'm not working on or is there a quick method to deal with this?
2. Wash panel with ONR and dry
3. Iron-X
4. Wash panel again with ONR
5. Rinse off Iron-X from panel
6. Clay with Nanoskin Sponge Fine Grade
7. Wash panel again with ONR and dry - is this needed if I'm going to polish?
8a. Machine polish with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish using LC flat white
OR
8b. Machine polish with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion with LC CCS red (I already have a bottle of this, so use this instead?)
9. Griot's pre-wax cleaner if using Advanced Finishing Polish
10. Seal with PBL Diamond Paint Sealant

Thoughts on the process? Any help is appreciated!

Blade
01-24-2015, 02:24 PM
That's how I've done it the past year. I find it refreshing to do my daily driver 1 or 2 panels at a time!! It took me over a week to complete, but the biggest difference is that I'm "fresh" when I start each panel, both mentally and physically. In fact, I looked forward each evening (with enthusiasm) to detail a panel, and I'm able to focus without rushing. As well, I'm not wiped out when I'm done. Compare that to the latter hours of a 10-hour detailing session where you're tired, and almost rushing just to finish it. Unless you're a pro (and I'm not), you're liable to make mistakes. Like you, spending 10 hours on a single session is just not doable anymore. As I grow older, I'm realizing my time is not my own to spend, LOL.

I see nothing wrong with your process although the way I've done it, I don't hose off each panel at the start. What I did was at the very start, before detailing any panel, is to perform a traditional 2BM with hose wash, complete with foam gun. Then I'll do a couple of panels, right down to the LSP. That's it for the 1st day. Thereafter each evening (or afternoon), it would be a ONR wash per panel, completing all detailing steps right to LSP.

By the way, I'd skip the ONR step after the claying. I assume you're using a clay lube so that's good enough, and yes you're going to polish anyway.

FUNX650
01-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Overall...it's a pretty good plan. :xyxthumbs:

Just a suggestion:
I would do the entire vehicle's decon steps---both the IronX; and: Claying (per: "Baggie Test")---in the same session.

That way (the way I figure it):
There won't be any later on: "gumming-up the works" events.

Bob

rlmccarty2000
01-24-2015, 03:26 PM
This is a good thread. I'm planning to go this way also due to a messed up back, knee, etc.

Dereksdtail
01-24-2015, 03:51 PM
That's the way I've done my own cars and some of my families cars, I like to experiment with new products this way

draganer
01-24-2015, 04:17 PM
I see nothing wrong with your process although the way I've done it, I don't hose off each panel at the start. What I did was at the very start, before detailing any panel, is to perform a traditional 2BM with hose wash, complete with foam gun. Then I'll do a couple of panels, right down to the LSP. That's it for the 1st day. Thereafter each evening (or afternoon), it would be a ONR wash per panel, completing all detailing steps right to LSP.

By the way, I'd skip the ONR step after the claying. I assume you're using a clay lube so that's good enough, and yes you're going to polish anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you were not driving the car during that 1 week detail stretch, thus, all panels remained clean after each detail session. My detail stretch will be something like detail a panel on weekend 1, drive for a week, detail another panel on weekend 2, drive for a week, and so forth. Thus, I felt it was necessary to clean the panel at the start of each session since it was exposed to a week of driving.

I will skip the ONR after claying.

Overall...it's a pretty good plan. :xyxthumbs:

Just a suggestion:
I would do the entire vehicle's decon steps---both the IronX; and: Claying (per: "Baggie Test")---in the same session.

That way (the way I figure it):
There won't be any later on: "gumming-up the works" events.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I thought about your approach when posting. My concern is after the decon as my first session, I will be driving the car for a week (with probably no protection) before I can begin the second session. Will I end up having to decon the panel I plan to work on again when I start the second session?

I figured the benefit of my process from my original post would result in a fully decon'd and protected panel. Thus I won't have to worry about any effort going to waste as I drive the car for a week and until I can start the next session and panel.

Any thoughts on which polish to use for my situation? How about how to hose off one panel without creating more work from accidentally wetting other panels? I'm thinking maybe just use the shower stream nozzle setting and start with the roof as my first panel (ie. top-down approach).

Blade
01-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you were not driving the car during that 1 week detail stretch, thus, all panels remained clean after each detail session. My detail stretch will be something like detail a panel on weekend 1, drive for a week, detail another panel on weekend 2, drive for a week, and so forth. Thus, I felt it was necessary to clean the panel at the start of each session since it was exposed to a week of driving.It's a daily driver, so I was driving it every day!! :) So your plan is to do the detail every weekend, and driving the car during the week. My approach was to detail a panel (sometimes two) each evening after coming home from work in my daily driver. Since the panel is going to get clayed and polished anyway, I feel a rinseless wash is all that's needed prior to each session. In your case detailing it every weekend, I assume you'll be washing the entire vehicle anyway every weekend so I don't see an issue.

FUNX650
01-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Thanks Bob. I thought about your approach when posting. My concern is after the decon as my first session, I will be driving the car for a week (with probably no protection) before I can begin the second session. Will I end up having to decon the panel I plan to work on again when I start the second session?

Hopefully the area, that your vehicle will be in during the week, isn't loaded down with so much contamination that it would have to be re-deconned in that short of a time period.

You know your area of the Country better than I do though.

How about how to hose off one panel without creating more work from accidentally wetting other panels?
I'd be more concerned with the panels that will also get wet from the decon-ing/hosing-off residues from any other of the remaining panels.

Now relax. Let this be a FUN occasion...Im the MAN

Bob

rlmccarty2000
01-24-2015, 06:06 PM
It is a little confusing. By driving the car you will pick up many different types of contaminants. I was thinking you were not driving the car and just trying to take your time. I'm not sure if it is a great idea to drive your car after decontamination, but I think it will work out much better than not doing anything at all. Good luck and please post results/problems/solutions so we can benefit.

conman1395
01-24-2015, 07:02 PM
What order would you be doing the panels? I do the lower areas under the door first and the horizon panels and work down.

POPPAJ
01-25-2015, 10:51 AM
I do mine in four steps.
1. roof
2. front end, right and left.
3. front and rear doors, right and left.
4. rear quarters, right and left and the rear.

This is on a 2013 Lincoln MKT. Just too big to do all in one day, even when I was young.

:props:

LRC3
01-25-2015, 03:58 PM
I do mine in four steps.
1. roof
2. front end, right and left.
3. front and rear doors, right and left.
4. rear quarters, right and left and the rear.

This is on a 2013 Lincoln MKT. Just too big to do all in one day, even when I was young.

:props:

Not bad at all!

My Sequioa is so big, I totally get breaking her down in sections. You start out so gun ho, by the time you reach the back doors your spent..