PDA

View Full Version : Polisher Decision

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

herrubi
01-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Good morning all, first post here. I'm trying to decide which polisher to buy. I'm not a professional detailer but an avid car care enthusiast. I have used a Sears orbital polisher for 25 years and am now ready to upgrade to something more professional. My vehicles do not need much correction, I simply want them to look the best they can. I'm considering the Meguires DA polisher, but wondering if I should just spend the money and get the Flex. I have tried a Porter Cable and did not like the amount of vibration it had. I have a black suburban so it does have a lot of surface area to maintain. Please offer your opinions, thank you.

Kamakaz1961
01-23-2015, 10:33 AM
IMO Get the Flex 3401. Simply put it's the BEST DA out there PERIOD!!! It is also the closest to being a rotary like you are used to. ALL other DA's are free floating spin like the PC or Megs or Rupes or whatever brand....PERIOD!!

I have a PC7424XP and it still serves a purpose for me but the workhorse is the Flex 3401.

You are going to get a lot of suggestions. IMO, my suggestion will be the best!

As to everyone else that disagrees...OK you have your opinion I have mine.

brettS4
01-23-2015, 10:39 AM
I doubt anyone is going to disagree that the Flex is a great polisher. And if you have the money, I'd say that's probably your best choice. I've never used one, so I can't comment on how smooth it is.

I used a PC7424 for 12 years and it did the job well enough. But it's loud and lacks serious power. I decided to step up to the Griot's GG6 this year, and it's looking really good. Twice the power as the old PC and slightly better ergonomics. It can be found right now for right around $100. Less than what I paid for the PC 12 years ago.

DaveT435
01-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Good morning all, first post here. I'm trying to decide which polisher to buy. I'm not a professional detailer but an avid car care enthusiast. I have used a Sears orbital polisher for 25 years and am now ready to upgrade to something more professional. My vehicles do not need much correction, I simply want them to look the best they can. I'm considering the Meguires DA polisher, but wondering if I should just spend the money and get the Flex. I have tried a Porter Cable and did not like the amount of vibration it had. I have a black suburban so it does have a lot of surface area to maintain. Please offer your opinions, thank you.

I used a PC for a couple years. I was kicking myself for not buying the Flex a couple months into it. I'm also an enthusiast. I also had a couple Meguiars machines but had problems with them. Trust me, with the 15% off buy the Flex!

dlc95
01-23-2015, 11:09 AM
If I was to have just one machine, it would be the PC. It takes anywhere from 3" - 6" plates / pads, and when paired with the right chemical / pad / technique, can be quite an effective little machine.

This would also apply to the Griot's and Meg's machines as well.

MarkD51
01-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Tough choices I know.
The Porter Cable, or the Griots Garage 6" are good machines to have around. As previously mentioned, they have the versatility of using smaller Backing Plates than the Flex 3401.

With that being said, the PC or GG (or Megs) does have its value-worth, as I'm certain the Flex might prove testy in small-tight areas.

With the Flex though, you will no doubt be using this machine the majority of the time, and thus only using the lesser DA's for certain areas-tasks.

If I could do it all over, I probably would've just sprung for the Flex, but of course all is never too late, I just have to open my wallet! Hopefully, moths won't come flying out! LOL

One very good plan, might be to get the Flex 3401, and then perhaps buy a less expensive DA such as the Harbor Freight DA, and buy a couple small backing Plates for it for tight areas-specialty work?

Many here see such worth in having more than one machine, it can enhance productivity, and quality of work by having more, than having less.

If I was going to buy the Flex, I myself would probably opt for either, or both the Lake Country Backing Plate System, or the Smaller Factory Flex Backing Plate to add to the versatility of use.

I'm of the belief that for most applications, 5" or 5.5" Pads are probably a bit easier to maneuver around panels than 6.5" Pads. Of course I could be wrong with this assumption, but that's just my opinion.

Best of luck with your decision, and welcome to the forum!
Mark

conman1395
01-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Hey a PC or a GG6. Use the saved money to get pads and other products. Simple decision.

01-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Flexzilla :dblthumb2:

sayroger
01-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Flex 3401... man you will like the forced rotation

eaglefan
01-23-2015, 12:43 PM
1. Flex - Best DA period
2. GG6 - Real good machine. Lifetime warranty.

brettS4
01-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Between the PC and GG6, I think the GG6 is a no-brainer. And I am in no way bashing the PC. Mine has worked perfectly for 12 years. It just doesn't have the power that the Griot's has. I can't bear down with the PC without the rotation stopping. It's fine with small pads and waxes, but not so good for compounds.

herrubi
01-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the opinions. I really haven't looked at the GC until now, looks like it might fit the bill for me at this time. I like the idea of the 6.5 inch pads since I have a suburban.

Evan.J
01-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Here is the polisher we used on Air Force One!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/AirForceOne-204-X3.jpg

Here I am on the wing of Air Force One using my polisher of choice!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/DSC_0315-S.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/89903)

01-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Here is the polisher we used on Air Force One!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/AirForceOne-204-X3.jpg

Here I am on the wing of Air Force One using my polisher of choice!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/DSC_0315-S.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/89903)

Ever coat a plane Evan? What products would you use to seal after polishing?

Evan.J
01-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Ever coat a plane Evan? What products would you use to seal after polishing?

No I haven't coated one.... YET lol! We used Sonax Polymer Net Shield :xyxthumbs: