PDA

View Full Version : No time off

Pages : [1] 2

HateSwirls
01-22-2015, 07:36 AM
I'm not sure how you full time detailers get time off, I just can't seem to catch up.
Right now I'm two weeks booked and still adding customers to my schedule.
A few of you guys told me to be ready to spend many hours in the shop, well, y'all were right.

I hired a full time detailer with 28 years of experience to help out, he's semi-retired, he knows the business , inside and out, great help but still booked.
Normally I try to do the difficult paint corrections on weekend to free me up during the week, that helps a ton but that's where the problem is, no time off.
In six weeks I've had two days off, one day of rain and Christmas Day.

Is it just me or is that just the nature of the beast?
Could be worst in not having work.
There are 3-4 other shops but not really detailers, more of just a wash shop.
People are leaving them for me, which is cool, I just can't afford to be 3-4 weeks booked, seems my customers don't mine waiting.

Am I still enjoying what I do?
You bet.

Kevin

HUMP DIESEL
01-22-2015, 07:48 AM
Kevin,
Looks like you are in decision mode.
1: Continue to work as you are with limited time off and hope it slows.
2: Continue to work as you are, but schedule time off.
3: Take a part time job, plus your detailing business to keep up with demand
4: Go full time.

You are in control of your schedule. If someone calls you to book a detail and you need a weekend off, schedule them the next available weekend. Hair studios do this all the time, you have to take time off or you will crash and burn.
The other idea is to take a part time job say in the mornings, get off around noon and work on cars. I did that for a while when I opened my mobile service 14 years ago. I would work early mornings, leave, grab a bite to eat and hit the road.
Going full time may be an option, I don't know your current arrangements, but just as you are busy now, two months could go by without you seeing or hearing from anyone.

I hope that has helped somewhat.

HUMP

Carolina Auto Image

Beavis
01-22-2015, 08:02 AM
That is good news to hear that you are that busy. Same with me( I am full time at it for 3 years now). We were booked for January at the beginning of the month, But I do not schedule anything for weekends unless I really have to. I have to have time for me and the family. In 4 days I have done 29 cars already. Of course none with paint correction. That would take up a lot of the time. It is nice having that money coming in, but you have to have some time for your self.

Matt@Revive
01-22-2015, 09:06 AM
I've been detailing at nights at a shop, i'm the only detailer there and i've been running non-stop since i started. i've have to tell them to push people off a day or so so i can have a night off once a week.

AZ Mike
01-22-2015, 09:43 AM
Kevin, I agree with earlier posts. You have to schedule time for you. Great that you still love it, but you have to have time off to recharge.

VISITOR
01-22-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure how you full time detailers get time off, I just can't seem to catch up.
Right now I'm two weeks booked and still adding customers to my schedule.
A few of you guys told me to be ready to spend many hours in the shop, well, y'all were right.

I hired a full time detailer with 28 years of experience to help out, he's semi-retired, he knows the business , inside and out, great help but still booked.
Normally I try to do the difficult paint corrections on weekend to free me up during the week, that helps a ton but that's where the problem is, no time off.
In six weeks I've had two days off, one day of rain and Christmas Day.

Is it just me or is that just the nature of the beast?
Could be worst in not having work.
There are 3-4 other shops but not really detailers, more of just a wash shop.
People are leaving them for me, which is cool, I just can't afford to be 3-4 weeks booked, seems my customers don't mine waiting.

Am I still enjoying what I do?
You bet.

Kevin

consider it a blessing that people trust you and are willing to use your services. besides, having a little extra cash isn't too bad... ;)

Kamakaz1961
01-22-2015, 05:49 PM
I Love to hear this!! So busy gotta hire some help!! Way cool!! Maybe get one or 2 more people to help in the minor stuff like 2 bucket wash clean insides.

Regardless of my suggestions or comment that is trivial compared to see that you are SWAMPED!!! Way Way Cool!!

That means there is no competition or at least competition for your quality of work! AWESOME!!

CarolinasFinestDetailing
01-22-2015, 06:40 PM
Put money away and save for those dry spells during summer vacation.

HateSwirls
01-22-2015, 07:17 PM
I can't take a part time job being I detail full time in my shop.
I'll just have to not schedule any work at least one day out of the week.

custmsprty
01-22-2015, 07:49 PM
All work and no play makes Kevin burnt out. At least take Sundays off.

jarred767
01-22-2015, 08:24 PM
That is way awesome!!! Nice work! What's even better is that you got to the point so quickly. Remind me, were you doing it part-time before? When I got too busy to handle it all (it took much longer than it has for you BTW) I just started raising my prices until the demand met the supply (it also naturally weeds out cheap people). Hiring more people is an option too if you want to go that route. I also never schedule on Sunday's to help get at least some refresher every week, plus my wife and daughter might not be too happy if I never took a day off.

I'm restarting my business in Bend Oregon in a couple months (about 400 miles from where I'm at now) and I hope I'm half as successful as you've been over the past few months; it's been inspiring hearing your stories. What would you say is the top 2-3 things that you've done since opening that has helped increase business to this level?

Keep the good news coming!!!

Pureshine
01-23-2015, 01:47 AM
Hey Kevin, I know how you feel the past 3 years I only take off one day a week or none. You need to take at least 1-2 days off the rest. I picked 2 days I want off and stick to it and I'm much happier now! I'm booked out 2-4 weeks in winter and 4-8 weeks the rest of the year.

HateSwirls
01-23-2015, 06:29 AM
That is way awesome!!! Nice work! What's even better is that you got to the point so quickly. Remind me, were you doing it part-time before? When I got too busy to handle it all (it took much longer than it has for you BTW) I just started raising my prices until the demand met the supply (it also naturally weeds out cheap people). Hiring more people is an option too if you want to go that route. I also never schedule on Sunday's to help get at least some refresher every week, plus my wife and daughter might not be too happy if I never took a day off.

I'm restarting my business in Bend Oregon in a couple months (about 400 miles from where I'm at now) and I hope I'm half as successful as you've been over the past few months; it's been inspiring hearing your stories. What would you say is the top 2-3 things that you've done since opening that has helped increase business to this level?

Keep the good news coming!!!

Yes, I detailed part time for two years before gong full time, that in itself gave me head start when I opened my shop.
That was key, the word of mouth helps more than anything else.
Facebook works really well for me, what really helped me using FB was to boost some of my work.
I have 580 likes and about 1k of friends so when I boost a post it reaches about 3k people, only for five dollars per boost.
They actually see the results, not just words, pictures are key, IMO people must see your work to understand what I do.

Radio Ads...

I run an ad every Monday morning, I sponsor a morning show.
We decided it was best for people to hear my voice instead of a radio jock, the first time I heard myself on radio I was LOL, so weird hearing yourself.

IMHO you can't beat word of mouth, most of the time when I detail a car for someone they tell others about me and they call for an appointment, and so on.

HateSwirls
01-23-2015, 06:33 AM
Hey Kevin, I know how you feel the past 3 years I only take off one day a week or none. You need to take at least 1-2 days off the rest. I picked 2 days I want off and stick to it and I'm much happier now! I'm booked out 2-4 weeks in winter and 4-8 weeks the rest of the year.

I'll work as much as I can now to stack up money in the event I hit a bad week of rain, I've been lucky so far.
Now when spring comes around I'll be very busy and plan on taking 1-2 days off.
For now I'm working my butt off.
Yesterday I did two paint corrections, long day, went into the evening.
Made well:)

It seems that every Friday someone calls me to have their car done over the weekend because they work during the week.

tuscarora dave
01-23-2015, 08:34 AM
Kevin, it's great to read this thread and see you having so much success so early on!! It's in situations like this where sayings like "necessity is the mother of invention" and "if you don't take care of yourself...who will?" come into play.

I probably take too much time for myself, and I suffer financially for it in the end. I keep it honest, try to keep things efficient, convey 100% clear communication to my clients and make a follow up call to them a few weeks after the job is completed.

If I stick to the above bolded guidlines, great word of mouth follows and I find myself sometimes so busy that I want to hire help, and sometimes I do get temporary help to get through "the peaks", then when I hit "the valleys", I'm glad it was just temporary help.

The past 2 years taught me that I really do need the time I take for rest and to have a little fun for myself. It keeps me "able" to keep on keeping on.

Here's to a happy, healthy and prosperous 2015 busy season!!:cheers: