PDA

View Full Version : New 2015 Turtle Wax Shine Lock Sealant. Thoughts & Discussion?

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Guz
01-22-2015, 02:50 AM
Yeah I know there isn't a lot of love for turtle wax products on here minus a couple that have been sleeper type products.

Well I stumbled upon this. Looks like Turtle Wax is joining in on the long term protection type products for their 2015 line of new products. Thoughts?

Pulled this from their site.

12 months of protection in 15 minutes or less

Wipe on and walk away using the proprietary applicator

Locks in a blanket of shine for every exterior surface

https://www.turtlewax.com/images/default-source/shop-banners/icesealantD8C9277D94DF.jpg?sfvrsn=0

Wipe on and walk away... Yup, it's as easy as it sounds!

SMART SHIELD polymers cover every exterior surface with a blanket of protection

Includes a proprietary 3-layer applicator & microfiber towel

FAQ:

Q: What is a Sealant?

A: Sealant chemistry uses next-generation technology to protect your car all four seasons. The fast-acting polymers instantly bond to your car’s paint and cure on the surface, creating an ultra-durable layer of protection. The advanced interlocking polymers of SHINE LOCK™ SEALANT are engineered to lock in shine.

Q: When and why should I use Sealant?

A: Every car owner has their own regiment for car care. We recommend using Sealant at least once a year to give your car the most advanced protection against fading, oxidation, and scratching. To maximize the surface bonding, clean & smooth the paint before using.

Q: What is Smart Shield Technology?

A: The chemists at Turtle Wax developed interlocking polymers that work together to build layers of shine & protection. Each product is formulated with the most advanced technology to deliver superior results. Even better, when you use multiple SMART SHIELD products within the system, the results amplify for unbeatable shine & protection.

ICEĀ® Shine Lockā„¢ Sealant Kit - YouTube

VISITOR
01-22-2015, 02:55 AM
it's amazing how OTC products have evolved and come around these days. very lucky for the average joe/jill consumer...

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2015, 06:18 AM
it's amazing how OTC products have evolved and come around these days. very lucky for the average joe/jill consumer...

Except the average Joe will do no prep or a poor hand prep, and as Meticulous says..."the pop is in the prep". So maybe we are the lucky ones to be able to get this OTC (presuming it's actually any good). Seems like a lot of members are very happy with the TW tire and trim products.

dlc95
01-22-2015, 06:25 AM
I really don't mind TW.

Let's face it though, their target is the low lying fruit. That's where the money is.

Their Premium Grade Rubbing, and Polishing Compounds, Ice Paste, and Express Shine have all worked great for me.

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2015, 07:14 AM
Their Premium Grade Rubbing, and Polishing Compounds, Ice Paste, and Express Shine have all worked great for me.

OMG! I would never risk using any kind of "compound" from TW.

HateSwirls
01-22-2015, 07:38 AM
Sounds good.
I'm still using my Wolfgang Sealant and DP Poli-Coat but may give it a shot, first trying it on my own cars.

FUNX650
01-22-2015, 09:34 AM
The packaging looks purty.

Bob

PreludeVTEC01
01-22-2015, 11:21 AM

Why? ... Just because of the name?

Sharpie
01-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Snicker if you want but when I dry my Explorer I use Turtle Wax and Dry spray wax and it works flawlessly. I use Collinite 845 as my primary wax but use the Turtle Wax product to help in drying. I think some people are product snobs.

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2015, 11:33 AM
Why? ... Just because of the name?

Not at all--simply because historically these type of products are highly abrasive and not clearcoat safe. Not only do I remember what these products were like before clearcoat, but I'm now in my second decade of participating in detailing forums, and I can't tell you how many threads I have seen that start something like this: "So I had a scratch on my car so I went down to (insert store) and got a can of Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. I rubbed a lot and the scratch got lighter but you can still see it and now the area around the scratch is lighter-colored and dull. How can I fix this?"

I just see no reason to take a chance using or recommending a TW Compound as an OTC product when I could recommend Meg's UC or UP which are modern SMAT products.

PreludeVTEC01
01-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Not at all--simply because historically these type of products are highly abrasive and not clearcoat safe. Not only do I remember what these products were like before clearcoat, but I'm now in my second decade of participating in detailing forums, and I can't tell you how many threads I have seen that start something like this: "So I had a scratch on my car so I went down to (insert store) and got a can of Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. I rubbed a lot and the scratch got lighter but you can still see it and now the area around the scratch is lighter-colored and dull. How can I fix this?"

I just see no reason to take a chance using or recommending a TW Compound as an OTC product when I could recommend Meg's UC or UP which are modern SMAT products.

Gotcha. I just wasn't clear. Didn't mean anything negative by my comment. Thanks for clarifying! Im the MAN

Loach
01-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Very cool, I'll be planning on picking some up and putting it through the water test. Interesting the wipe on walk away approach, haven't used any of those types of products yet, although they do mention to wipe any excess spots down with a microfiber in the step by step directions. Price point is interesting too when you compare it against Meguiar's Paint Protect, over twice the price.

Turtle Wax has gotten a lot of heat over the years, I wrote them off a while ago without doing any real or thorough testing. But within the last year I decided to really start giving a closer look at some of their products and testing them out and I'm largely not disappointed. A lot of it works great. The performance I'm getting for the price I'm paying is the benefit. The problem is a lot of stuff that you can find OTC now works great. Meguiar's, Mothers, Turtle Wax, etc. But once you've been pegged with that consumer perception of being below average or a beginner only type product, it's hard to get rid of that image when you finally develop products that are actually quite good.

I've tried their polish and compound though, and that's definitely their weak spot. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish are just too good to compete against OTC.

MarkD51
01-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Sounds like an easy to use product available for the OTC consumer. That's great in my book. Seems TW is coming with lots of interesting new products.

I think that's a large problem for many average joes, they don't want a product that is hard to use, that they want fast, easy, and some fairly good results and protection.

Those Endura Trim-Tire products are the bomb IMO.

builthatch
01-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Turtle has had some hits and some real misses as of late. but their Rinse Free stuff was awesome. i mean, top notch. for some people it was nice to have a product like that available around the corner. and on top of that, it brought rinseless to the masses.

for something like this, i'd just get Opti-Seal. don't see any way a wowa product from Turtle could exceed the performance of Opti-Seal.

dlc95
01-22-2015, 12:11 PM

The "premium grade" line is completely different. I used the compound extensively to remove 2500 sanding marks by hand, and the polish to intensify the gloss. Not as potent as the Ultimate line, but still functional.