PDA

View Full Version : 7424XP with flat pads

Pages : [1] 2

musclecar22
01-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Hi folks. Seeking a bit of guidance. I have a 7424XP and on the fence about buying a Flex 3401. I've searched the forums and best I can tell the main benefit is saving time. I am not a pro so not concerned about time.

I did just buy LC 5.5 flat pads from AG, haven't tried them, thinking this smaller pad will give the PC a little more power via less weight and correct "better". ?

Guess the question is, is the only reason to get a Flex to save time? Will each machine obtain the same results just at different times? Or will the Flex correct very poor finishes that cannot be fixed by the PC?

Thanks for any help. Appreciate you guys.

Setec Astronomy
01-21-2015, 10:26 PM
It's a little more complicated than that. The Flex has a variable speed trigger, so it's a little easier turning it on and off, plus you can feather it for various reasons. The forced rotation allows you to use the edge of the pad when safe and appropriate to get into areas that are difficult to correct with a PC.

So the ergonomics (although I don't think that's really the right word) of the Flex are much different.

cartman1
01-21-2015, 10:27 PM
The flex is way more powerful than the PC so not only will you save time, you will also get better results.

allenk4
01-22-2015, 12:00 AM
The flex is way more powerful than the PC so not only will you save time, you will also get better results.

"Better" in what way?

With the new DAMF system from Meguiar's & M100 or D300; you should be able to get out any defect that the FLEX 3401 can remove

It will just take longer

Some actually prefer the PC over the FLEX for finish polishing

I own both machines

cartman1
01-22-2015, 12:27 AM
I don't own the flex, I only have the pc7424. My experience comes from reading a lot of threads and watching videos.

Everywhere it says the flex is better because it spins no matter what vs the PC which slows down when you apply too much pressure. For paint correction, I suppose the flex is better only in the sense that it is gear driven and can move even with a lot of pressure.

I'm not a detailer and probably not even a hobbyist yet lol. Just repeating what I heard. Maybe I misinterpreted. At the end of the day, the flex is 350 and the PC is 120, I sure as heck hope something is better about the flex for that price ¯\(ツ)/¯

conman1395
01-22-2015, 01:05 AM
I've wanted to get the Flex for a while but I luckily have enough sensibility to not order one. I have the four cars in my garage and the occasional paying customer (maybe 1 or 2 a year) to work on. The costs to acquire a Flex is are more than the machine itself (LC backing plates, new type of pads and their varying sizes are some of the others). I'd rather take that money and spend it on other systems for my DA like the MF system (although I haven't needed to buy it yet). Additionally I could buy more/other towels, coatings, maybe a used steamer, or many other things that would make my other jobs easier vs the correction work I'd do once or twice a year.

The Guz
01-22-2015, 01:23 AM
"Better" in what way?

With the new DAMF system from Meguiar's & M100 or D300; you should be able to get out any defect that the FLEX 3401 can remove

It will just take longer

Some actually prefer the PC over the FLEX for finish polishing

I own both machines

I agree with this.

SonOfOC
01-22-2015, 01:41 AM
OP, if you're doing personal vehicles, once or twice a year, then stick to the PC.

I don't detail professionally, but as a hobby on a bunch of cars. For me, the PC, Griots, and traditional DA sound level and vibration are unbearable.

HateSwirls
01-22-2015, 07:23 AM
As good as the Flex is I'd recommend you spend your money on other car care products.
Like pads, polishes , etc.

The Porter Cable 7424 was my first DA, I've done at least 50 paint corrections with it.
Sure it takes longer to correct paint compared to the Flex but if your only maintaining your cars the PC is all you need.
However, if you want better, meaning faster but not $350.00 check out the GG6.
The GG6 is about the same price as the PC, biggest difference IMO is the GG6 won't bog down, giving you outstanding result in less time.
The PC can bog down on you at times as you already know but when you kick that puppy to speed 6 it gets the job done.

Even though I own the Flex 3401 and the DeWalt 849x I still use my PC and the GG6.

Benefits you get with the PC

Less vibration than the GG6
Can and will correct all paints, it's all about pads and products that make the PC a go getter.
Durable, as I said I've done at least 50 paint corrections using my PC, not once did it quit on me.
Well built
Easy to use

I own a detail shop so I need different machines to get the job done, I use my Flex for paint corrections but for step two I'll either use my PC or the GG6

This being said, if you want the BEST buy the Flex, it's the best DA I've ever used.
The choice is youse but again, if only doing your own cars and not worried about time, use your PC. you can't go wrong with it.

dlc95
01-22-2015, 08:16 AM
I have both machines, and I use the PC the most. Fitted with a Rupes microfiber pad, and dressed with Meguiar's m105, there isn't much it can't handle. With the right chemicals, pads, and technique, the PC will be your best friend.

Side by side on severely failed single stage, is the only time I've seen the 3401 decidedly best the PC - in my use. Part of the reason was how fast the residue would accumulate on the mf pad on the PC vs the megs burgundy cutting pad I had on the flex. Dang those machines made me happy that day.... Both of them. And as I plan to try again once the weather breaks, I will start with the PC, some new pads, and new techniques.

If I was forced to only have one machine though, it would definitely be the Porter Cable 7424xp. Biggest reason:

1. Versatility.
a) Accepts a variety of backing plate sizes.
b) responsive to a variety of pad types.
c) Can also be used with sanding discs. Making it a fully capable tool. Sand, compound, polish, wax..

ski2
01-22-2015, 09:07 AM
OP--have you considered the new Megs THIN 5" foam pads??? Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-foam-discs.html) There is less mass for the PC to rotate so your PC should be more effective and the new pads have been getting very good reviews.

EXTJosh
01-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Hey Musclecar, in my opinion it really all depends on your buget. I started with the PC and have moved on to the Flex with no regrets. If it's in your buget and you feel comfortable with machine polishing, then go for it. There is a small learning curve (forced rotation, pad walking, speed settings, etc.) but it's nothing you couldn't handle if you've put some time in the PC. I still use my PC for tighter spots and tasks that don't require the power of the Flex, but I think if you go the Flex route you'll be blown away by it's capabilities.

EXTJosh
01-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Guess the question is, is the only reason to get a Flex to save time? Will each machine obtain the same results just at different times? Or will the Flex correct very poor finishes that cannot be fixed by the

Ha, sorry, I rambled on my Flex plug... to answer your questions, Flex WILL save you a ton of time over the PC, but that's not the only benefit. In my experience, yes, they will obtain similar results but the time differences are fairly great. Again, in my experience having both, the Flex will correct very poor finishes, due to the forced rotation and power, much better than the PC. Like I mentioned before, if it's in your buget to upgrade, it would definitely save you a ton of time.

musclecar22
01-22-2015, 10:06 PM
Thank you all for your insight, much appreciated.

musclecar22
01-23-2015, 09:52 PM
I've read a lot about Meg's DA MF system and think I might try that on the XP to see if the correction ability is increased.

One of the car's I take care of is an '02 BMW and apparently hard paint that no matter what combo I throw at it, I can't get all the flaws out.

If that fails, I'll move to the 3401.

Thanks again.