PDA

View Full Version : Bissell Spotcleaners help and tips

drumr_102
01-21-2015, 06:40 PM
I purchased one of Bissell's Proheat spot cleaners and enjoy being able to see how much dirt is being extracted, but I'm having a few hang ups with the machine. Wondering if AGO has any suggestions from experience of these machines or carpet extracting in general...

My biggest problem was wicking. I think the machine puts out too much water in ratio to how much it sucks up. I did an endless amount of passes without spraying water, but the carpet still took too long to dry. I wasn't able to get all of the dirt out nor was I able to get all of the water out. I'm wondering if the problem was that there was still dirt in the carpet or the fact that the carpet was still so wet/took so long to dry.

I've seen people happy with their machines on here so I don't want to give up on it yet. I also already have a steam cleaner that I use for stains and I was able to get rid of the wicking with that, but extracting took way too long by itself to be doing both methods for every car.

allenk4
01-21-2015, 06:56 PM
Wicking is caused by carpet that dries too slowly. The tips dry 1st and draw water up from the "roots"

Try doing the extraction at the beginning of the detail and then place a bot fan in the vehicle to dry more rapidly

dlc95
01-21-2015, 07:23 PM
I can't get the cleaning solution to come out of mine. I have to spray it on with a trigger bottle.. :/

expdetailing
01-21-2015, 07:27 PM
I can't get the cleaning solution to come out of mine. I have to spray it on with a trigger bottle.. :/

Try running vinegar through it a couple times; scrub all the openings w/ a toothbrush & vinegar.
Also, ther is a gentlemen on google who dedicated his life showing you how to modify these bissells and repair them. Awsome dude, went above & beyond.

wdmaccord
01-21-2015, 07:28 PM
many times I will run the cars heater for a bit so hot air is blowing on the floors. If I do seats, then I'll do a center vent setting. I the summer, on a sunny day, I'll likely just pull it out of the garage with the windows down in the full sun.

Have you tried only using the machine to rinse only? I am assuming you might be using a cleaning solution actually in the machine tank? I usually mist water on the spot, spray on the cleaner diluted in a spray bottle, then agitate with an upholstery brush. Then I use hot water only in the bissell to rinse/extract then extract one more time without additional water. I don't seem to have any issues with excessive moisture left behind.

drumr_102
01-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Wicking is caused by carpet that dries too slowly. The tips dry 1st and draw water up from the "roots"

Try doing the extraction at the beginning of the detail and then place a bot fan in the vehicle to dry more rapidly

many times I will run the cars heater for a bit so hot air is blowing on the floors. If I do seats, then I'll do a center vent setting. I the summer, on a sunny day, I'll likely just pull it out of the garage with the windows down in the full sun.

Have you tried only using the machine to rinse only? I am assuming you might be using a cleaning solution actually in the machine tank? I usually mist water on the spot, spray on the cleaner diluted in a spray bottle, then agitate with an upholstery brush. Then I use hot water only in the bissell to rinse/extract then extract one more time without additional water. I don't seem to have any issues with excessive moisture left behind.

I used folex and agitated, then used the extractor, but it took a ton of passes to get a passable amount of dirt out (which took too much time) and after only extracting water for quite some time I switched to my wet/dry vac and tried to suck more water out with that. Then I used the blower side of the vac to further dry it. I didn't have a fan to leave on it though. I figured since it was in the 60's and sunny (:dblthumb2: to Texas weather) that it wouldn't be an issue.

The rinse/extract then extract one more time was what I was hoping to accomplish with the Bissell, but there was just SO much more dirt to get out.

drumr_102
01-21-2015, 07:44 PM

How long did you have it before that started happening?

EVOlved
01-21-2015, 08:42 PM
I have only used hot water in my Bissell and have had great results. Like previously stated I start with the interior first, vac, agitate, vac again, then folex, agitate again, then one round with the Bissell spraying water, and one round not.

dlc95
01-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Try running vinegar through it a couple times; scrub all the openings w/ a toothbrush & vinegar.
Also, ther is a gentlemen on google who dedicated his life showing you how to modify these bissells and repair them. Awsome dude, went above & beyond.

Thanks!

Will do.

dlc95
01-21-2015, 09:50 PM
How long did you have it before that started happening?

Originally purchased in 2006, I just broke it out last August.

wdmaccord
01-21-2015, 11:41 PM
I used folex and agitated, then used the extractor, but it took a ton of passes to get a passable amount of dirt out (which took too much time) and after only extracting water for quite some time I switched to my wet/dry vac and tried to suck more water out with that. Then I used the blower side of the vac to further dry it. I didn't have a fan to leave on it though. I figured since it was in the 60's and sunny (:dblthumb2: to Texas weather) that it wouldn't be an issue.

The rinse/extract then extract one more time was what I was hoping to accomplish with the Bissell, but there was just SO much more dirt to get out.

So are you saying you are spraying the Folex on the dry carpet? I would get the carpet wet first. Sometimes I'll mist it with water first with a trigger sprayer, or sometimes I'll use the sprayer on the Bissell and hit it with some hot water first...depends on the soiling. Then I spray with cleaner, then agitate with brush (usually some type of crosshatch pattern to get all sides of the fibers)...then you know the rest from my post above. Again, have had great results. Sometimes it is just finding the right technique.

allenk4
01-22-2015, 12:47 AM
So are you saying you are spraying the Folex on the dry carpet? I would get the carpet wet first. Sometimes I'll mist it with water first with a trigger sprayer, or sometimes I'll use the sprayer on the Bissell and hit it with some hot water first...depends on the soiling. Then I spray with cleaner, then agitate with brush (usually some type of crosshatch pattern to get all sides of the fibers)...then you know the rest from my post above. Again, have had great results. Sometimes it is just finding the right technique.

Why?

Wouldn't that just dilute the Folex?

VISITOR
01-22-2015, 03:16 AM
Why I prefer Carpet Extraction -- another Bissell Little Green ProHeat demo]Autopia.org Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopia.org/forums/auto-detailing-videos/179467-prefer-carpet-extraction-bissell-little-green-proheat-demo.html)

drumr_102
01-22-2015, 10:56 AM

No I have been making it wet with folex and agitating, then spraying with hot water (sometimes with more agitation) then extracting

drumr_102
01-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Why I prefer Carpet Extraction -- another Bissell Little Green ProHeat demo]Autopia.org Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopia.org/forums/auto-detailing-videos/179467-prefer-carpet-extraction-bissell-little-green-proheat-demo.html)

This is the video that sold me on the machine. I may just try some carpet cleaners that foam a bit more to remove more dirt before extracting.