PDA

View Full Version : FLEX PE8 uses

flatstick
01-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Thinking of grabbing a FLEX PE8 trying to think of all the areas one can come in handy. keeping in mind I have a couple PCS and a rotary already. choice is either a whole new machine or I could get the small pads , extension and backing plate for my Hitachi rotary. few thoughts on use are headlights, taillights, pillars, bumpers, metal, fiberglass polishing on my bassboat, possibly some types of flat surface wheels. where else is everybody using theirs ?

Velocitybts
01-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Thinking of grabbing a FLEX PE8 trying to think of all the areas one can come in handy. keeping in mind I have a couple PCS and a rotary already. choice is either a whole new machine or I could get the small pads , extension and backing plate for my Hitachi rotary. few thoughts on use are headlights, taillights, pillars, bumpers, metal, fiberglass polishing on my bassboat, possibly some types of flat surface wheels. where else is everybody using theirs ?

This thread should answer some or most of your questions

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/88301-pe8-review-w-pictures-work.html

VISITOR
01-27-2015, 02:33 AM
I've been thinking of purchasing one of these but there are two things I dislike.
1. not having a lower rpm setting (600) like most other rotaries out.. 2. the side switch and not having a trigger to feather...

haris300
01-27-2015, 04:34 AM
I used mine on some door jambs/steps. Also used it on some side view mirrors and polishing a motorcycle tank. I'm still trying to get used to the power switch like VISITOR pointed out but I like the polisher quite a bit so far. Very versatile tool, especially with the 2 inch backing plate and pads which I just tested out today.

flatstick
01-27-2015, 09:03 AM
I've been thinking of purchasing one of these but there are two things I dislike.
1. not having a lower rpm setting (600) like most other rotaries out.. 2. the side switch and not having a trigger to feather...

the slowest speed being 1,300 did have me a bit concerned as I like the soft start and variable speed of my full size rotary ( 600 and up ). I did see the post of the review. was trying to justify how many uses it can serve me. I ended up buying the kit that was on sale last week at 15% discount with free shipping and a AGGC. there are quite a few areas on my bassboat ( all 20ft of it lol ) where the smaller pads will be helpful. I can hook up some wool pads for the diamond plate where my full size rotary is not easy to get in to work on . polishing glass especially small side windows with a 3 carpro glass pad will be a lot easier than using a full size rotary vertical. having the smaller backing plates and pads on hand, I can use my PC or full size rotary if I feel like the job calls for a more delicate speed control or less speed. for customer cars polishing pillars, head and taillights , doorjambs all the tight body line areas, bumpers and possibly some wheels. so the more I thought about it we can always use a light pad and polish while keeping a feather touch ( like jeweling paint ) to work safer in tight areas. I do not see myself applying an lsp with the machine too often but never say never. the more I read about the machine the more versatile it seemed so having the extra tool will fill a void . should be here this week for me to start putting ti though its paces. thanks for the input so far everybody. if anybody has any more ideas where we can use the machine lets us know.

flatstick
01-27-2015, 09:08 AM
I used mine on some door jambs/steps. Also used it on some side view mirrors and polishing a motorcycle tank. I'm still trying to get used to the power switch like VISITOR pointed out but I like the polisher quite a bit so far. Very versatile tool, especially with the 2 inch backing plate and pads which I just tested out today.

thanks for your thoughts on the machine so far .

CCC4me
01-27-2015, 09:32 AM
Given that it's designed for 3" and under pads, the 1300 RPM is plenty low.

In algebra terms, the linear velocity is directly proportional to the radius and angular velocity. In other words, a 3" pad needs to spin exactly twice as fast as a 6" pad to achieve the same speed at the outer edge of the pad (and therefore correction).

Kamakaz1961
01-27-2015, 10:24 AM
I did use the PE-8 this weekend and I am impressed! The Speed setting 1 (1,300RPM) is a NON-ISSUE (for me at least). I had to wet sand/compound/polish my side mirror and had to touch up paint. I used the 1" Orange/Green Pads w/1" BP.

I was expecting holograms.....again none. I did not take pics as I will this weekend when I will use the PE-8 for waxing my ride.

As for the side switch...to me that is also a non-issue. It fits naturally just above your thumb.

This is my 1st venture with a rotary and so far I am impressed. It is real quiet and very smooth. The weight of being more than 4LBS is also a non issue. In fact it is very easy to maneuver and you can do extreme finesse correcting, especially with the 1" Pads.

The thing I would recommend is the 5/8 extension.

BTW, with the right adapters you can convert your PC7424 XP (or equivalent DA) to handle the 1" BP and Pads.

If anyone is worried about holograms that set up will also make it a non-issue.

Either way the talent and experience of EVERYONE here on the AGO site should be able to use the PE-8 with ease.

Am I happy getting the PE-8 a simple YES. It is a new experience for me and I am happy to know the PE-8 will make me a better detailer overall.

The PE-8 will make me transition to a larger rotary in the future if I so desire.

The PE-8 is an excellent choice for that transition and IMO you need this in your arsenal....PERIOD!

flatstick
01-27-2015, 10:28 AM

In algebra terms, the linear velocity is directly proportional to the radius and angular velocity. In other words, a 3" pad needs to spin exactly twice as fast as a 6" pad to achieve the same speed at the outer edge of the pad (and therefore correction).

Thanks for doing the math that makes sense the way you stated it.

flatstick
01-27-2015, 10:46 AM
I did use the PE-8 this weekend and I am impressed! The Speed setting 1 (1,300RPM) is a NON-ISSUE (for me at least). I had to wet sand/compound/polish my side mirror and had to touch up paint. I used the 1" Orange/Green Pads w/1" BP.

I was expecting holograms.....again none. I did not take pics as I will this weekend when I will use the PE-8 for waxing my ride.

As for the side switch...to me that is also a non-issue. It fits naturally just above your thumb.

This is my 1st venture with a rotary and so far I am impressed. It is real quiet and very smooth. The weight of being more than 4LBS is also a non issue. In fact it is very easy to maneuver and you can do extreme finesse correcting, especially with the 1" Pads.

The thing I would recommend is the 5/8 extension.

BTW, with the right adapters you can convert your PC7424 XP (or equivalent DA) to handle the 1" BP and Pads.

If anyone is worried about holograms that set up will also make it a non-issue.

Either way the talent and experience of EVERYONE here on the AGO site should be able to use the PE-8 with ease.

Am I happy getting the PE-8 a simple YES. It is a new experience for me and I am happy to know the PE-8 will make me a better detailer overall.

The PE-8 will make me transition to a larger rotary in the future if I so desire.

The PE-8 is an excellent choice for that transition and IMO you need this in your arsenal....PERIOD!

I did see you other post about your use of the PE-8 . I have a full size rotary that I use often , figured the transition would be super easy. for me I was not sure how much I would use the smaller version along with the 1,300 rpm speed that is sounding more and more like a non issue. ended up grabbing the kit so at worse case I have the pads, backing plate and extension if I decide to use my current rotary or pc ( will get the adapter ) with the smaller pads. this way I would have all the bases covered for 3 separate machines :buffing:

01-27-2015, 01:18 PM
I was at a crossroads all weekend deciding between the PE14 & PE8. In the end, I went with the Kompakt kit - a steal imo with the 15% off deal...

As with my 3401, I'm sure the Kompakt will come in very handy!

builthatch
01-27-2015, 01:31 PM

that's hard to understand. my first inclination was that it's the other way around.

the 6" pad would have to spin twice as fast as a 3" pad to achieve the same 3" speed at the outer edge of the pad 6" pad.

i think that is why it's confusing that the lowest speed is so high on the new unit.

for instance, if you put a 6" pad on a regular rotary at 1500 RPM....and then put a 3" pad on that same machine at the same speed, the 3" pad would be WAY more apt to correct faster, create heat, burn, etc. because more of the pad would actually be spinning closer to the programmed RPM vs. the 6" pad. solution with that regular rotary? lower the speed when using the smaller pad. so what makes this any different??

but then i further confused myself by thinking of it in terms of putting smaller wheels on a car. to go the same speed with smaller wheels but the same final drive, the RPM will be higher to achieve the same vehicle speed because you are effectively changing the final drive ratio. ugh.

CCC4me
01-27-2015, 08:45 PM
that's hard to understand. my first inclination was that it's the other way around.

the 6" pad would have to spin twice as fast as a 3" pad to achieve the same 3" speed at the outer edge of the pad 6" pad.

i think that is why it's confusing that the lowest speed is so high on the new unit.

for instance, if you put a 6" pad on a regular rotary at 1500 RPM....and then put a 3" pad on that same machine at the same speed, the 3" pad would be WAY more apt to correct faster, create heat, burn, etc. because more of the pad would actually be spinning closer to the programmed RPM vs. the 6" pad. solution with that regular rotary? lower the speed when using the smaller pad. so what makes this any different??

but then i further confused myself by thinking of it in terms of putting smaller wheels on a car. to go the same speed with smaller wheels but the same final drive, the RPM will be higher to achieve the same vehicle speed because you are effectively changing the final drive ratio. ugh.
Your vehicle speed analogy is correct as far as speed at the outside of a circle. If we use the 1500 RPM you mentioned and the car had 6" tires, it would go twice as fast as if it had 3" tires.

That same speed at the outer edge of the pad is what burns paint when left in one spot for too long.

You are correct too that a 3" pad works in a more focused area, so if you use bad technique by using too much downward pressure in a focused area (not moving the polisher), it can burn paint quickly--just not as quick as doing the same on a 6":xyxthumbs: