PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor and Pressure Washer Decisions

jeanmariet
01-20-2015, 01:10 AM
I have been spending more time, than I ever thought on trying to pick the right air compressor for my shop. I will be converting an old Aamco transmission shop into a 4 bay 8 door detail shop.

So far I am leaning towards the mi-ass 23015 80 gallon dual stage air compressor, and an electric 2000 psi wall mount pressure washer.. My question is this over-kill?

allenk4
01-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Why wall mount pressure washer?

aim4squirrels
01-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Up off the floor and out of the way in the shop would be my guess.

Dedicate one or two bays to washing and wall them off to the rest of the shop.

allenk4
01-20-2015, 01:22 PM
I guess if you have 4 bays, dedicating one to washing is possible

Just seems that a wall mount limits your flexibility in where you wash the vehicles

Using a power washer inside a shop always seems like it would be a mess to me. I wouldn't want somebody even two bays away from me using a pressure washer while I was in the final stages of detailing another car

AndrewBigA
01-20-2015, 03:37 PM
i got a new compressor form HF a few weeks ago. i took the $50 1 yr extended warranty & paid a total of about $400 bucks..cant go wrong! its quiet too! heres the link before the geek might delete it?..29 gal. 2 HP 150 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor (http://www.harborfreight.com/29-gal-2-hp-150-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61489.html)

AndrewBigA
01-20-2015, 03:39 PM
80 gal air compressor? WHY? if you want one that big, do you plan to split the air lines up? hmm maybe 2 smaller compressors in the shop would be better? 80 gals is alot of air!!

KMdef9
01-20-2015, 03:53 PM
80 gal air compressor? WHY? if you want one that big, do you plan to split the air lines up? hmm maybe 2 smaller compressors in the shop would be better? 80 gals is alot of air!!

Might need to motor to run some air tools, larger motors come with bigger tanks. Some of those tools are real air-hogs. Especially if being used for drying, pad cleaning and correcting at the same time.

tuscarora dave
01-20-2015, 05:55 PM
I f you're running a business that uses any amount of air tools with more than 1 guy working you'll need a minimum 80 gallon with 100% duty cycle air compressor. if you only run an occasional tool, or blow off pads now and then, a smaller unit might suffice. If productivity and no down time is important, I'd be looking american made for air compressors and leave the HF compressors in the home maker garage.

jeanmariet
01-21-2015, 12:27 AM
Thank you for your insights.. I am installing garage curtains, to create a dedicated wash bay, and I have air lines that run throughout the entire building. Haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, but I appreciate the food for thought