PDA

View Full Version : clay bar or prep towel?

Pages : [1] 2

Navish360
01-19-2015, 11:50 PM
Hello Autogeek Community!

I'm fairly new to detailing cars, and own a silver 2003 e320 and would like some help with getting the right steps down.

Questions

1. Whats better clay bar or the prep towel? (I've used a chemical guys clay bar once)

2.What should be done after a car wash should it be polishing, waxing etc???

3. I'm tired of having silver rims and seeing brake dust everywhere in the front of the rim within couple days of washing.... Anyway to reduce this or a easier way to clean it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I trust this community when it comes to answering stuff correctly and efficiently.

Goin Rogue
01-20-2015, 12:30 AM
Hello Autogeek Community!

I'm fairly new to detailing cars, and own a silver 2003 e320 and would like some help with getting the right steps down.

Questions

1. Whats better clay bar or the prep towel? (I've used a chemical guys clay bar once)

2.What should be done after a car wash should it be polishing, waxing etc???

3. I'm tired of having silver rims and seeing brake dust everywhere in the front of the rim within couple days of washing.... Anyway to reduce this or a easier way to clean it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I trust this community when it comes to answering stuff correctly and efficiently.

1) I just tried the Nanoskin wash mitt the other day and it was SO fast and easy. I doubt I'll use a traditional clay bar again. I also have a clay towel.

2) Many options here. Wax, sealant, polish, 2step, 3step, coating, etc... Depends on what you want to achieve.

3) You can coat them or use a sealant like Hydro2. Hydro2 is EASY to use.

HateSwirls
01-20-2015, 06:41 AM
I've used clay for many years but bought a prep towel here,I'll never go back to a clay bar.
Being I have a full time detail shop I try to find products that's good and fast.
Using my prep towel cut my time in half.

expdetailing
01-20-2015, 07:12 AM
Towels' prices are too extravagent. It's just rubber; what gives?
Towels, generally, just scrub the contaminants off rather than pull them off most of the time.
Clay can reach closer to edges, such as trim, where the details count the most.

I saw an ad from CG in my inbox this morning with an advertisement about the "Sale" price of a PC 7424 very basic package for just below two-hundred dollars. I'm against over-priced merchandise. Towels are over-priced. There will be defenders of the over-priced; just watch. The price of these towels need to come down.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-20-2015, 07:15 AM
Use a nano skin clay SPONGE. Not too expensive and much faster than clay.

If you clay the car, it should be polished after.

Use a product like CarPro Hydro2 on your wheels.

expdetailing
01-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Mark, what makes the sponges significantly cheaper? Shorter lifespan?

WRAPT C5Z06
01-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Mark, what makes the sponges significantly cheaper? Shorter lifespan?
Not sure. Maybe the size? I love them.

Navish360
01-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Are the clay sponges better than the clay bar itself when speaking in terms of getting stuff out of the paint. I don't have a problem when it comes to taking time to get the job done right.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Are the clay sponges better than the clay bar itself when speaking in terms of getting stuff out of the paint. I don't have a problem when it comes to taking time to get the job done right.

They're both going to get the job done equally well, but the clay sponge is a lot faster. If you don't mind taking the time, use a regular clay bar. Less chance of marring the paint. I always polish after, so it really doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sayroger
01-20-2015, 10:29 AM
If i am detailing a dark car that is not going to be polished i use clay. If the car is going to be polished i use Nanoskin Autoscrub 6" fine on my flex 3401 because i found it mars the paint a little ( in all fairness to naoskin i don't use their lube so that might be why i get light marring i use ONR for lube)

allenk4
01-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Towels' prices are too extravagent. It's just rubber; what gives?
Towels, generally, just scrub the contaminants off rather than pull them off most of the time.
Clay can reach closer to edges, such as trim, where the details count the most.

I saw an ad from CG in my inbox this morning with an advertisement about the "Sale" price of a PC 7424 very basic package for just below two-hundred dollars. I'm against over-priced merchandise. Towels are over-priced. There will be defenders of the over-priced; just watch. The price of these towels need to come down.

#1 You do not understand how clay works.

#2 Why couldn't you get close to an edge with a clay towel

#3 Depends what your time is worth.
Towels easily cut the decon step by 50%

Zelfiris
01-20-2015, 01:38 PM
I HATE using clay bars. Ever since I got my nanoskin towel I never looked back. I have no issues use it along edges or any parts of a car. For how much time it saves me and ease of application, I was glad to pay more for the towel. The nanoskin sponges are the same technology but lower price.

To maintain your wheels easier, you can
1. Clean them more often so the brake dust don't build up as much in between intervals
2. Use a sealant/wax for protection after cleaning. Your brake dust will sit on top of this layer making it easier to clean next time around
3. Use a stronger cleaner like sonax wheel cleaner, it breaks up brake dust really easily
4. Change your brake pads to low dust pads
5. Buy new rims that easier to clean (just saying)
6. Don't drive (which isn't really an option haha)

I hope this helped.
Zel

glfnaz
01-20-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm a noob too. I used the Nano sponges for the first time and it was so easy. And even better, the results were fantastic. Polish afterward.

I do a good clean of the wheels, then polish and seal. Grime just sits on top and is easy to clean off.

Woob
01-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Clay Towel for bulk decontamination, claybar for fine dirt removal. I do like the sponges since I seem to not abuse them as much as towels!

Mach1USMC
01-20-2015, 05:52 PM
I use both claybar and a nanoskin washmitt depending on the situation. The mitt SIGNIFICANTLY reduces my time gettimg the contaminants off the paint. That being said - there have been a few times where I've gone back to clay, like in very tight spaces for example. But the good thing about the mitt is you can get many more uses out of it and in the long run it's actually cheaper than clay. Plus if you drop the mitt simply wash it - you can't do that with clay. I just had to throw one of my mitts away after about 70 uses. It's a great product IMO.