PDA

View Full Version : hand washing is bad

2013ST
01-19-2015, 03:08 PM
I just stumbled across this website that talks about how "bad" hand washing is according to the university of Texas study. I am in shock lol

The best car wash for your car's finish? Hand car wash vs automatic car wash (http://www.thecarwash1.com/handwashing-harmful-cars-finish-university-texas-study/)

if I am not allowed to post links please take this thread down.

215Detailing
01-19-2015, 03:15 PM
I read same article awhile back, Just my thoughts, They should do a current update and visit a true detail shop as to the general public does not aways you proper techique, product, water, and or tools

Rsurfer
01-19-2015, 03:18 PM
What did you expect from a swirl O magic web site that has two locations?

expdetailing
01-19-2015, 03:26 PM
FYI: Hand waxing your paint is detrimental for it because wax build-up can block-out the sun, reducing the sun's ability to nourish the paint with essential vitamin E.

wdmaccord
01-19-2015, 03:28 PM
At least they are referring to the "average joe" doing hand car washes, in which case they might be right. I think we can all attest to the cringes we get watching our un-detail-educated neighbors washing their cars on the weekends (dish soap, one 1-gallon bucket, filthy wash mitt/sponge, bath towel to dry, etc.).

haris300
01-19-2015, 03:30 PM
"The professional car wash is able to provide and use tremendous amounts of water along with specialized detergents and appropriate mechanical action from cloth pads and curtains which the backyard hose and bucket hand car wash is not able to supply"

Just kill me now.

Bill1234
01-19-2015, 03:34 PM
really dont understand how this test was done. A human cannot generate enough force as a car wash machine ever. If it were to hit your paint, it would take off alot more than using a sponge.

allenk4
01-19-2015, 04:08 PM
"Bystanders could see one man hard at work in a do-it-yourself self-service type of car wash with high-pressure water facilities; another was busy at home with the garden hose and a water spray-brush. One man scrubbed away utilizing a bucket, a sponge, and a garden hose. One, to the horror of the environmentalists, and in defiance of local regulations, washed his test car at a lakeside."

dlc95
01-19-2015, 04:24 PM
Hmm....

What about the curtain strips dragged through open truck beds, picking up dirt, wood, oil, etc...?

How about the mud continuously seeping out of cracks and crevices, getting ground into the finish by abrasive cloth, or stiff plastic bristles?

How about the pieces of car I pick up out of the tunnel after a day of washing a few hundred cars. The customers who come back looking for a piece of molding, a mirror cover, a light lense. Then there are those whose rims are messed up from metal to metal contact on the tire brushes.... List goes on and on.

If I had one word to describe an automatic car wash, and it's treatment of delicate paint: violent.

That cloth isn't soft. The bristle isn't soft, and the new foam brushes is closer to a d/a backing plate foam, than cutting pad foam.

allenk4
01-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Study was done at University of Texas- Arlington, which was considered a Junior College when I was living in Dallas

goldenlight
01-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Nothing beats a good Hand Wash.. I only visit car washes that uses jet sprays similar to Sheetz GAs station. I only visist theses station when we have a snowstorm which is rare around here.

Roikins
01-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Few months ago , when I wasn't aware of existing of Autogeek forum and Autogeek supplies and some basic knowledge how to properly wash and wax and buff the car , I might done the same thing, looks like these guys really didn't know how to wash car the right way. Of course it takes investment to get the best and right tools and products , but with the knowledge and good products , even I , who just learned and did complete paint claying and IronX, and flex 3401 polisher with different pads and many different compounds , polishers-cleaners and coating tested and done, reading Mikes books and watching videos and reading forum and asking questions and finding my answers here, I am sure that I would beat those guys car wash by 10 times :) I wish I would visit one of they car washes.
I had a chance to watch how the local "hand wash" guys wash the cars, and it made me big fat smile on my face , and kinda proud and happy that I know and can do better job than the "pros" at the hand wash station:) And they were busy!!! There was a line !!! Then we can imagine only how many % of the car owners know how to wash the car right and how it should look :)
I have said many times already, but I will say again: thank you all who participate in this forum and have shared the knowledge and helped me and I believe others as well, to understand the importance and ways to take care of our cars and make them to look show car quality and shine !!! 320843208532086320873208832089

Sent from my [emoji336][emoji642][emoji809]using Tapatalk

Paul A.
01-19-2015, 06:34 PM
The problem i have with that UT-Arlington "study" is that it sounds convincing to the people that tunnel wash place is marketing to. They'll believe it because the hand wash sample were unknowing, non detail educated individuals. I love the guy who pissed off the environmentalist by washing his at the LAKE!

I will bet anyone that i could "rig" or devise a "study" for anything to insure the results favor my system/product/service. Another example of The Duping Of America!

Of course, we all know better but i feel bad for any Arlington, TX detailing friends who have to now explain why hand washing is NOT damaging their paint to any potential customers who came across that advertisement.

Kamakaz1961
01-19-2015, 07:34 PM
I just stumbled across this website that talks about how "bad" hand washing is according to the university of Texas study. I am in shock lol

The best car wash for your car's finish? Hand car wash vs automatic car wash (http://www.thecarwash1.com/handwashing-harmful-cars-finish-university-texas-study/)

if I am not allowed to post links please take this thread down.

LMAO!! Love seeing this! Here is my genuine opinion of what I think of that study:

I guess everyone here at AGO took the Blue Pill and got out of the Auto-Car Wash Matrix!! We are the Zion Detailers Rebel Force and here to destroy Agent Smith, Agent Brown and Agent Jones!

Interesting to know that the Computer Matrix will brainwash everyone and say that the Autowash is "superior" than hand car wash! Their leader Agent Smith is really brainwashing everyone about that! Their mission is to suck the life force of everyone so the Auto-Car Wash can thrive and control the Autowash world!

Since I am "Morpheus" rolling in my ship the "Avakeneva"; I am searching for people that would love to get out of the Autowash Matrix! I am always looking to help people recover from swirls and scratches on their rides! I am sure every Rebel here in Zion will do their jobs and duties too!!!

We have several ships to take rebels and infiltrate the Matrix to get the people out of the Autowash Matrix and teach them how to wash their cars and become detailers they need to be!!

Gnosis
Icharus
Vigilant
Novalis
Caduceus

These are all fine ships with excellent crew! They will assist you to get in and out of the Autowash Matrix!! Make sure you are near a telephone when you need to be extracted quickly!!

With help from the Oracle we will hopefully one day destroy the "Architect" and get people to realize their rides are more than just an Auto-wash!!

Until then, "Good Hunting" and see you back in Zion!!!!
SEMPER FI and HUUURRAAAHHH!!!
:buffing: