PDA

View Full Version : Dusty roads and keeping the car clean

InstaDirty
01-17-2015, 11:26 PM
I have to drive on a short section of dirt road to my home. I can wash my car but just one slow trip down the road puts a nice coating if red clay dust on the wheels and rear. What's the best way to deal with all the dust? I tried a feather duster, but the dust seems to be statically attached. Compressed air doesn't get it all either.

I've seen things like the California Duster and wonder if they are worth a try.

Guessless
01-18-2015, 12:35 AM
I was reading on Nanoskin shock instant lub sealant and it says this:

"It creates a high-gloss polymer barrier that dissipates static so your vehicle stays cleaner, longer. Regular application will extend your existing paint protection so you don’t have to wax as often."

I have not used this myself, but perhaps someone who has can give you more input on it or a similar product.

InstaDirty
01-18-2015, 01:06 AM
I do hope to see someone with experience with that chime in. Thanks for the suggestion.

goldenlight
01-18-2015, 09:22 AM
According to Meguiar's there is no sealant that repels dust.. but I asked that question about a yr ago.

LRC3
01-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Pave the road.

Not trying to be funny but that the only option... Dust is undefeatable!!

Ebg18t
01-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately static will continue to attract the dust. Polymer sealants will be better than waxes since waxes tend to have natural oils in them. But I find the static from polymer sealants almost as bad. Other than for improving the road I don't think you will have many options.

InstaDirty
01-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Sad to hear. Guess I'll give the California Duster a try. The road is not mine to pave. Wish it was. Maybe if oil prices go back up, the county will have funds to pave more roads.

allenk4
01-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Pressure Washer + CR Spotless

Blast it off and walk away

InstaDirty
01-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Ya, I can do that but next time I drive away from home, a new layer of dust is there. Need a button on the dash I can push to reverse polarity of my skin to shed the dust. :)

Swift
01-18-2015, 02:58 PM
I'm in same boat as you are in. Unlike you, I live in a dusty and polluted city and car gets covered in layer of dust very very easily. In past I have used collinite 845 wax, but after a while, it sort of attract dust. FinishKare 2180 Ultra Polymer Sealant is what I like. After application, it leave behind a very 'dry' and smooth surface. Dust doesn't get attached to surface easily. Use 2180 and wash with pressure sprayer and it should work for you.