PDA

View Full Version : Drying MF

Pages : [1] 2 3

frankprozzoly
01-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Some said there's no problem putting your towels in the dryer. I bought MF bath towels and used the dryer on lowest heat setting. this is making these and my car towels hard. I don't know if the tips are burning but I'm not using the dryer anymore. When I hung them to dry then air fluffed them they came out very soft. I hope the hardness will wash out next wash

builthatch
01-17-2015, 04:26 PM
Some said there's no problem putting your towels in the dryer. I bought MF bath towels and used the dryer on lowest heat setting. this is making these and my car towels hard. I don't know if the tips are burning but I'm not using the dryer anymore. When I hung them to dry then air fluffed them they came out very soft. I hope the hardness will wash out next wash

weird. could it be something left in the towels in terms of hard water or soap? i've done it tons of times. never had an issue. i have been air drying too for years, esp as of late, because my dryer is in another room than my washer (planned renovations), but i've even boiled MFs before and had no issues and the water was a lot hotter than it would ever get in the dryer on low.

wdmaccord
01-17-2015, 04:29 PM
What are you washing them with?

conman1395
01-17-2015, 04:32 PM
I use an electric dryer and the low temperature is definitely lower than the gas dryer I use in our other house. That might explain the difference in people's experience.

frankprozzoly
01-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Free and clear detergent. I use very little. No softener. I've put them in the dryer past couple of times and the material has changed. It's not fluffy soft anymore. I've had them almost a year so I know its from the dryer

frankprozzoly
01-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Maybe the dryer is making the strands stick together

goldenlight
01-17-2015, 05:03 PM
try adding vinegar to the rinse cycle.

Ebg18t
01-17-2015, 05:17 PM
That's weird. I wash mine with All Clear and put them in the dryer with no issues.

wdmaccord
01-17-2015, 05:43 PM
I used all free and clear for a while. Didn't like it at all. Maybe doesn't work well with hard water? I switched to MicroRestore and I add some white vinegar to the lowest line in the fabric softener barrel in the middle. Then do a 2nd rinse. Hot wash/Cold rinse. Dry on low heat on the "less dry" setting. MF's come out great!

Blade
01-17-2015, 06:50 PM
If it's the dryer, it's YOUR dryer. No issues here either. All my MF towels go through the dryer (and I've gone through two dryers since I started detailing.) I still have my original orders of AG towels (guzzlers, cobras, etc.) from years ago, still going strong - coming out fluffy and soft out of the dryer every time. I use Micro-Restore, no vineger, no additives, no nuthin, dryer on low/delicate setting.

frankprozzoly
01-17-2015, 08:34 PM
I've washed the towels every way you guys are saying. The vinegar ...the second rinse... all that stuff. This has only started when putting in dryer .... see if you notice the difference. The top beige towel was in the dryer. Orange towel has never been in a dryer. See how the beige towel looks clumpy. That just started to happen

Blade
01-17-2015, 09:37 PM
My MF towels which have been in the dryer probably more times than some of my shirts look like your orange towel, if not fluffier.

Roger T
01-17-2015, 09:58 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with the polyester/polyamide % of the towels
A higher polyamide % ( 25 to 30% ) makes for softer towels.

Roger T

SameGuy
01-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Wool and silk are polyamides, as are nylon, Nomex and Kevlar.

frankprozzoly
01-17-2015, 11:02 PM
I don't know what it is but I'm done with the dryer.