PDA

View Full Version : Marring issue

808_detail_nut
01-17-2015, 04:52 AM
I washed and clayed a 3 month old new blue Tacoma today (that was absolutely filthy because it was never washed since the owner got it) and was wondering why I have some marring after I sealed it. I'm sorry I don't have pictures but when I was done I used my swirl light and I was very disappointed. I washed (2 bucket and used my foam gun overkill yes but oh well) dried with a MF waffle weave and compressed air. Then clayed with the nano skin fine mitt and a new bucket of clean water/soap solution. (I have done this multiple times in the past and only had marring once) then dried again with a new clean MF and air. Next I used the klasse aio and then s/g. When I was done it was getting dark so I grabbed my light and there it was. I was pretty upset. Like I said before I have done this multiple times before and only had that one issue. What could have caused this? Should I look into getting a better aio and machine apply? Or is it because the paint is soft? (Just wondering because the only other marring issue I had was with a Honda Fit and later when I corrected it with 205 I found it rather soft). Or is my whole process wrong and I need to change the way I do my decon and seal package? I'll post picks tomorrow before I go back and fix it with 205. Any help is much appreciated.

EVOlved
01-17-2015, 08:36 AM
I'd lean toward the fact that it was soft paint and you didn't use enough lube for the nanoskin. I would stick to something with more lubricant like glide (as suggested by nanoskin) or ONR. Again just a guess by me..

BMW435
01-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Could the marring have already been there maybe from when the dealer originally prepped it?

SonOfOC
01-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Claying will mar soft paint. A brand new Nano Skin pad will also cause more marring. Expect to polish when claying, especially of dark soft paint.

allenk4
01-17-2015, 01:30 PM
I would suggest that you cannot know which step in the process inflicted the marring if you only use your inspection light at the end if the Detail

Inspect after washing & drying...maybe the swirls were already there

Inspect after Claying

808_detail_nut
01-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks. I'm thinking now the combo of soft newer paint and since the car was so dirty, I probally had some dirt in the clay bucket. I'm off to polish now. Funny because it's only on the side pannels not the hood or the roof. Oh well. Think I might just bring out the 106ff not 205.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
01-17-2015, 02:36 PM
I'd lean toward the fact that it was soft paint and you didn't use enough lube for the nanoskin. I would stick to something with more lubricant like glide (as suggested by nanoskin) or ONR. Again just a guess by me..

I would suggest that you cannot know which step in the process inflicted the marring if you only use your inspection light at the end if the Detail

Inspect after Claying

Both great points. Soap & water does not provide the proper lubricity as pointed out by the manufacturer.

Blade
01-17-2015, 02:50 PM

Inspect after Claying:iagree: That's the surest way to tell. Even when paint is dirty, swirl marks can be visible, so I would add that even if you inspected after washing/drying but you didn't inspect before washing, you can't be 100% sure that you inflicted them yourself - could have been there before you even touched the paint.

808_detail_nut
01-17-2015, 03:48 PM
You guys are totally right. I got lazy and rushed so now I have to do double work. Lesson learned. I can almost guarantee that there wasn't enough lubrication between the paint and the nanoskin. Rushing gets you nowhere. Thanks again.

808_detail_nut
01-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Dammit, i can't get a good picture of it because the flakes in the paint is messing up my camera. Anyway I finished one side with 106FA and my cyclo with the green polish pads and the marring is gone. I should have named the post how to rush and waste time. I'll take a picture after I'm done.

napoleon907
01-17-2015, 10:44 PM
From experience and reading online, marring from clay barring is reasonably common and you can expect to need to polish afterwards. There are of course things you should do to minimise the risk of marring, such as using the right type of lubricant, and lots of it. Also, try breaking each clay bar into marble sized balls, use one for each panel, then throw it out. This way you reduce the risk of rubbing dirt back into the paint, causing swirlmarks etc.

808_detail_nut
01-17-2015, 10:50 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/17/cc86dc2523e6a0b5155e43932df53315.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/17/86eb4fa174754225951f5dea0ddba392.jpg

Done deal. Thanks for all the input. The worst part is I know better. Sealed with 2 coats of klasse s/g and cleaned the glass with the PC with a 3 inch place polish pad and klasse AIO. 303 on the trim and now it's time for a beer.

napoleon907
01-17-2015, 11:53 PM
Looks great [emoji106]

allenk4
01-18-2015, 01:04 AM
From experience and reading online, marring from clay barring is reasonably common and you can expect to need to polish afterwards. There are of course things you should do to minimise the risk of marring, such as using the right type of lubricant, and lots of it. Also, try breaking each clay bar into marble sized balls, use one for each panel, then throw it out. This way you reduce the risk of rubbing dirt back into the paint, causing swirlmarks etc.

Never heard of that

A piece of clay that small would take me all day

mg6045
01-18-2015, 07:44 AM
in a lot of cases, regardless of the lube or amount used that nanoskin decon product WILL marr paint. even hard BMW paint.

It caused what looked like holograms on my metallic black BMW.

If your not planning on the polishing, try sticking with a soft/fine claybar instead.

something like this :
Pinnacle’s Ultra Poly Clay is the single finest clay composition available today. Use auto Detailing clay to deep clean car paint, glass and chrome. (http://www.autogeek.net/ultra-fine-poly-clay.html)